Current SR9c pistols ok?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
It seems with almost every gun made, you can read plenty of problem reports on the internet. If you based your decisions on that alone, you probably wouldn't ever buy a gun!

The SR9c seems to have had its share: peening, light strikes, trigger failures, and magazine issues. Some of the reports of these problems have been written in the last few months (not so much here) but they don't usually include the manufacture/test fire date of the gun, so it's hard to determine in these are problems with early production guns. On this forum, it seems like most of the reports of the SR9c are favorable now.

What do you think? Are most of the problems worked out now? Especially on the newly manufactured guns? Any concerns still to be aware of? (Of course, any individual gun has to be evaluated on its own merits.)

wrangler

Bearcat
My SR9c was Test Fired at the factory on 7/26/11 and has the trigger reset problem along with having a gritty feel to the trigger.

I watched the Hickock45? video on Youtube where he goes on and on about how good the trigger is on the SR9c and I did NOT get the trigger he was talking about on the SR9c that I purchased. Not even close.
It was very accurate though, I will give it that.

What I got, triggerwise, matches almost exactly the descriptions of the early SR9 triggers that were part of the recall.

Just my .02

A

Anonymous

I went and fired my 9c for the 3rd time after they fixed the light strikes. Not sure when they started selling pistols that were 'fixed' but mine starts with 332-300. I fired a hundred more through it today, still no problems. As my carry gun I still have this nagging feeling that- is it gonna light-strike again one day? I'm married, don't need EXTRA nagging....

Verndog

Blackhawk
GKC said:
What do you think?

What I think is that in large it is an excellent gun with very high user satisfaction rate. Like anything mechanical, even the best of the best fail occasionally, and if you look you will always find problems reported with anything. The majority of people online will come to report or find answers to issues, or learn more. So it's likely you will find those reports in a search, while the mass majority report nothing...ie no news is good news. Buy it and be assured even if you are one of those few unfortunate, it will be made right by Ruger. Next thread I hope reads "New SC9c report" ...fired 150 and 100%. :wink:

Ridge1976

Single-Sixer
wrangler said:
My SR9c was Test Fired at the factory on 7/26/11 and has the trigger reset problem along with having a gritty feel to the trigger.

I watched the Hickock45? video on Youtube where he goes on and on about how good the trigger is on the SR9c and I did NOT get the trigger he was talking about on the SR9c that I purchased. Not even close.
It was very accurate though, I will give it that.

What I got, triggerwise, matches almost exactly the descriptions of the early SR9 triggers that were part of the recall.

Just my .02

Mine was test fired on 11 August 2011. My trigger is great and isn't showing any signs of re-set problems. Just curious....Did you clean the striker and striker channel? Also have you tried taking out your magazine disconnect to see if that helps any? My magazine disconnect is still installed but I've read where others have removed theirs and said it helped.

Ratster

Bearcat
I'm happy to report that my SR9c has several hundred rounds through it with no problems. No trigger reset issues. No light strike issues. No FTF or FTE issues. Couldn't be happier. The plan is to pick up an SR40c next time I'm at a gun show where my favorite dealer sets up. That's next month. Can't wait!

GKC

Blackhawk
Verndog said:
Next thread I hope reads "New SC9c report" ...fired 150 and 100%. :wink:

I hope so too, since I've already bought one. (I got the black slide.) I haven't fired it yet...dealing with some other things, but hope to do so soon...and I hope I can report a lot more than 150 problem free rounds!

I did a preliminary field strip, just to check out the process, and man oh man, there is a gallon of gunk in there! I am going to take the striker out and clean out the channel, and remove the mag disconnect while I am at it. I've been watching the video on this forum, and it looks like even a fumble-finger klutz like me can do it.

The trigger on mine certainly seems light enough, on dry fire (with magazine inserted.) I would say it is as good or better than any gun I have had, other than my 1911s.

While I certainly don't want a gun with problems, I feel sure that Ruger will take care of them if I do have any.

GKC

Blackhawk
OK, I took out the mag disconnect following jhearne's video (good instructional series) and I was surprised that it was actually very easy to do (I am mechanically challenged, and usually manage to screw up, lose parts, have to cuss and throw things, etc.) I still haven't been to the range to test fire this pistol yet, and it will be a little while longer (my wife is very sick, and I don't want to leave her alone for an extended period of time.)

When I was doing the mag disconnect, the tip of the striker just barely protruded into the breech. In the video, jhearne mentioned that it would protrude a little bit, but I guess I was expecting it to stick out more...I mean, I could barely tell that the tip was sticking out. Is that normal? The slide cover came off easily, so I suppose it was far enough out of the way to enable the removal.

For some reason, I am more paranoid about this pistol than any other one I have ever bought. I don't know why....I guess because I know I can't go to the range and see for myself if I will have any light strikes or trigger failures. At least I can pass the time cleaning it and tinkering with it! :wink:

wrangler

Bearcat
tateb24 said:
Ruger makes a very ergonomically sound firearm, but nothing will replace a Glock 19.

Uhm...ok

Anyway.

Got mine back from Ruger. They replaced the trigger bar reset and trigger bar assembly. They state 25 rounds Black Hills 115g FMJ with no malfunctions.

I have cleaned the pistol and can say that the trigger does reset from dry fire (I can hold the trigger down, recock and then release and it resets) and much of the grittiness is gone.

I will shoot this weekend, planning on ~200 rounds maybe more if the weather is nice, and will report back.

Curley Red

Bearcat
Ratster said:
I'm happy to report that my SR9c has several hundred rounds through it with no problems. No trigger reset issues. No light strike issues. No FTF or FTE issues. Couldn't be happier.

+1, not a single problem with my SR9C and it is my main carry piece.

GKC

Blackhawk
wrangler said:
I have cleaned the pistol and can say that the trigger does reset from dry fire (I can hold the trigger down, recock and then release and it resets) and much of the grittiness is gone.

Good...glad to hear it. I hope you have a successful report to share!

BTW, after reading your post, I tried mine several times (holding trigger back while recocking and then releasing it) and it reset every time. I didn't do it a lot, but I'll keep trying it as I "tinker."

Cape Cod Terry

Single-Sixer
:D I have had mine for about 2 months now. It is the one with the stainless slide. I carry it daily. About 400 rounds through it so far, no jams, no FTFs or FTEs. This inclubes a box of the cheap Russian steel case ammo a buddy gave me that his pricier guns didn't like. I still haven't tried any hollow points or +P's but plan to now it's broken in. The trigger smoothed out considerably after 150 rounds of so. The slide works much easier also. I can now load it by releasing the slide release with one finger, it was to tight when new. I consider the trigger much smoother and lighter than any of the double action only Ruger automatics I've tried. It's still not as good as a 1911 or Browning Hi-Power, but that is comparing apples to oranges. I did give the gun a through cleaning prior to it's first use. MY ser# is in the 332-59xxx range.
Cape Cod Terry :D

weedfarmer

Bearcat
Was leary of semi's always was told not reliable.Saw my Ruger SR9 and it felt so good, why not take a chance THIS PISTOL IS GREAT THANK YOU RUGER.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
My (over a year old) SR9c has been good/great all along.
No problems! Smooth triger after a few rounds (couple of hundred).

Lateck,

Verndog

Blackhawk
Well I finally got back to the range today after several months off, and put another 100 trouble free rounds through (1500 total). I had done the Galloway striker spring upgrade just as a precaution to ensure against any light strike chance, and noticed a VERY small increase in trigger pull, hardly worth mentioning.

There were 4 of us at the pistol range and 3 of the 4 were all shooting SR9's (and SR9C's) and the 4th a Ruger P90!! All loved their guns and said they were problem free...how's that for a random sampling. 8)

A

Anonymous

I traded a guy some 38s for some 9s, he gave me Wolf Steel Case ammo. Fired 100 through my 9c, one was bad- I checked the primer and it had the normal indentation- round was bad-fired the other hundred thru a S&W, was pleased both guns ran em all with no other problems. Normally shoot WWB or Remingtons, the cheap ones. It's great that the 9c eats everything.