curious about two single six I just bought - yr manufacture?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lowgunner

Bearcat
Hi all,

Just got two nice single sixs:

1st one serial # 298XX and 2nd is 249xx. The latter has a flat gate loading gate. I would appricate any info on these tow old timers.

Pics:

rugers1.jpg

Thanks in advance for any info.

lowgunner

Bearcat
thanks Glupy! 1955 vintage.

Looks like the grips on one is aftermarket. I first thought it was fake antler but after taking it off for cleaning, it's the real deal.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Both of those guns were made in 1955. BOTH should have the flat loading gate. And those stags are nice,, but not factory.

lowgunner

Bearcat
contender said:
Welcome to the Forum!
Both of those guns were made in 1955. BOTH should have the flat loading gate. And those stags are nice,, but not factory.

Thanks Contender. Can't wait to try these baby out. A lot cheaper shooting these as compared to my other guns. BTW: Just got back from a gun show at Dulles Expo center in VA and it was a mad house. Asking prices for ammo and black rifles were twice to three times normal. Glad I stocked up already :)

G2

Hunter
Yes both should have a flatgate but the round gate looks like a "Premier" a nice after market round-gate from the period.

If it were me I would swap the grips and have the early gun all original and the later gun with the "Up Grades"

and if you dont like those stags I will swap you a pair of original's for em. ... :D

Nice guns

Yessir,BOTH nice guns and I agree that the one is the longer, Premiere loading gate and the other gun has after market stags,still really NICE stuff and vintage ,made for that era. so all keeprs.........

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Hard to tell from the angle, but I agree on the Premier gate. Looks like the bottom gun has a type 1 thumbpiece and the other a 2 or 3. How about the triggers and cylinder pins.?

loadinggate.jpg

lowgunner

Bearcat
thanks for the additional info. here are some additional pics below

When cocking the hammer on the stag, I can distinctly feel three clicks to fully cock it vs the two clicks on the black handle one. Also, the black one has a hammer bar and the stag one does not. does this affect the value?

rugers3.jpg

rugers4.jpg

lowgunner

Bearcat
thanks for the additional info. here are some additional pics below

When cocking the hammer on the stag, I can distinctly feel three clicks to fully cock it vs the two clicks on the black handle one. Also, the black one has a hammer bar and the stag one does not. does this affect the value?

rugers3.jpg

rugers4.jpg

G2

Hunter
Hurt the value?? Yep,,, it sure does,,, a little, it's been converted. Most prefer them unconverted.

I would swap the grips and then you have one that's 100% original configuration.

Then the transferbar/ converted one becomes your pack'n with all 6 loaded up,

-OR-

find a original set of parts and convert it back. $65-85

As you wish, there your guns. :wink:

But if you want to swap them old knarley look'in stags for some real nice custom wood grips and some cash let me know, I like em :D

contender

Ruger Guru
I too would swap the stags & plastic stocks around. Then the Flatgate would be original. Next,, I would look into a set of conversion parts to re-convert the other one back like it should be. As for the stags,, personal preferrence. But I'd get a set of originals for it,, "just to have." The hardest part to replace will be the flat loading gate. I would begin the hunt,,,!

308longdistance

Blackhawk
The cylinder pin with the spring loaded pin on the end is for the converted gun. When installed it will push the transfer bar back so it can slide up and cover/over the firing pin. When the trigger is pulled the transfer bar slides up fills the gap in the step hammer and allows the firing pin to be struck.

http://www.ruger.com/pdf/safetyOfferAd.pdf

lowgunner

Bearcat
Thanks 308longdistance. so if i do change it back to original specs, I will also need to replace this along with the flat gate. I should have checked at the gun show this weekend to see if there were any parts available. oh well, there will be another sometime in Feb.

G2

Hunter
Just place a WTB in the classifieds here for a parts kit for a OM Single Six, It will include the correct Base Pin.
They are around, expect to pay $65-85 it will have all the parts to convert it back.
Hammer
Trigger
Pawl
Base Pin
Cylinder latch
Cylinder latch spring
Trigger spring & Plunger

Best place to find a flatgate is here too. But nothing wrong with the "Premier" gate IMO, It is period correct.