Competition Guns From Ruger?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ronnielc

Bearcat
Does anybody feel that Ruger any kind of commitment to mating their guns competition ready like so many other manufacturers? Their rimfires with trigger jobs are to some degree but their center fire guns don't have match grade barrels. I rarely hear of people seriously using a Ruger 9mm, 40 or 45 for competition. It is a bummer as I want a longer sight picture for iDPA than my SR9c (also my main carry) but will need to change platforms. I don't see anybody recommending the SR9 over Springfield, Smith and Wesson, CZ, Colt, Sig, Glockenspiel, etc. what is the deal? I don't know that with some enhancements if the SR1911 could play.

Thanks

nope, ever since the beginning, back in late 1949, the Rugers were often done over by gunsmiths and used in competition, but the factory 'answer' was to come out with the MK I series, add 'target" sights, longer barrel ,nothing else............yes, many of the companies have their own "teams" and market "competiton" but not Ruger, hell even their first so called "assualt" rifle was marketed as the "worlds most expensive plinker" the Mini -14....,,,the old man did NOT want us to have 'high cap' mags, had to go through the law enforcement distributors............ :roll:
they did "try" for a short period of time , with the MK II, and their "government competition" model, claimed it was "laser' sighted , included a 'target'and more time and effort into the "fitting/action? but in reality the other MK IIs ones were always just as accurate................ :?

hand fitting takes TIME, and TIME is money, as well as the 'team' sponsorships and all the trimmings that come with it, BIG money........
tell Mr Fifer YOU want to start a "team"......... :wink:

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
I just purchased the SR9 to use for IDSA and IDPA. I shot my first match of IDSA a couple of weeks ago and the 10 round limit does not apply, so the logical choice is the switch to the std SR9 since it feels the same as the SR9c does. Plus with three 17 rd mags it makes for faster times. I shot 25th out of 47 with the SR9c and that was my first ever competion. At one point I was on my 3rd mag change in a stage, so it I could keep from a reload in a match than that sould keep my times shorter. I shot against Glocks/Sigs ect... I felt no handicap due to equipment, other than myself. That 100 dollars I saved on the gun gets me 500 rds of ammo to waist in the next 3 competions.

ronnielc

Bearcat
Thanks Rugerguy. I did email the CEO. I just think that even if they made the center fire pistols like they do but offer match quality barrels and etc. as accessories would even be a good idea. I know they are not having problems selling their existing inventory, just the opposite. I just wish we had the option. The other makers know that their guns-xdms, m&p, block and etc. can go home protection and to tournaments as stock production and people can do well. I don't think it is asking a lot.

ronnielc

Bearcat
Ruger nut10 thanks. I know some use them and I have shot the sr9 but I feel like my sr9c shoots better, maybe the trigger. My problem is that I would like a longer sight radius. So, I will just keep practicing with my sr9c for idpa and decide down then road if I want to try cz75b, m&p or a XDM. I probably need to own something besides a Ruger at some point. I just wish that my carry gun and competition guns were same platform. Oh well, maybe I will decide that I like another better anyway and get the smaller version of another brand to match.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
The new SR9's have the good trigger just like the "C". Now I only put 150 rds through the SR9 so far, but I have only owned it 6 days. I have put over 1,200 rds through the "C" and she is perfect IDPA medicine. The close in shooting helps. I have only shot one IDPA match but I had more of a problem keeping my brain engaged than my actual shooting. I will keep trying, too fun to stop. :lol:

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
You might be surprised what Ruger has been pondering and what they have considered.... Might be surprised who they have considered to contract to do it.... Let them know you want it, they are listening to the customer base. So are we. There is plenty of potential in the SR9/40 to work with to make a heck of a competitive pistol off of.
Eric

Verndog

Blackhawk
Egalloway said:
.... Might be surprised who they have considered to contract to do it....

Hmmmm. Maybe not, maybe we were just told. 8)

As much as I like my 9c it has it's intended "best use" purpose, and very accurate target competition is not what it was designed for. If anything is in the works, I would hope it's NOT on the SR platform.

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
I agree the compact models are for sure best suited to personal defense. But the standard service size are excellent units for competitive use. Reliable, light, slim, 17 round factory mags, cheap buy in, and American made. They are just as good a choice as any other polymer framed pistol, better than some in certain ways. I've ran them all in comps and worked on them all, the SR is an excellent choice.
Eric

Verndog said:
Egalloway said:
.... Might be surprised who they have considered to contract to do it....

Hmmmm. Maybe not, maybe we were just told. 8)

As much as I like my 9c it has it's intended "best use" purpose, and very accurate target competition is not what it was designed for. If anything is in the works, I would hope it's NOT on the SR platform.
:cry:

Verndog

Blackhawk
Egalloway said:
... They are just as good a choice as any other polymer framed pistol, better than some in certain ways...

Eric, my main point was that starting with a DA trigger for competition is IMO like starting with a Vega for racing. Maybe fine for the ring of a steel plate, but not great for hitting bulls eyes. Just my opinion FWIW. For me at least the difference between SA and DA triggers is quite noticeable.

Grendel

Single-Sixer
I use my SR9 with a Ghost Rocket for IDPA (SSP) and as my EDC.

-JT

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Given some work, the SR1911 is the best bet for serious competitive use but the SR9s, P345, etc. are range and defense/service gun, not really competitive and the very limited number of aftermarket enhancements seem to support that claim.

The one place Ruger's guns are really competitive is in Cowboy Action Shooting where the Vaquero is by far the firearm of choice.

Grendel

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
Given some work, the SR1911 is the best bet for serious competitive use but the SR9s, P345, etc. are range and defense/service gun, not really competitive and the very limited number of aftermarket enhancements seem to support that claim.

The one place Ruger's guns are really competitive is in Cowboy Action Shooting where the Vaquero is by far the firearm of choice.

Hmmm...then the SR9 I compete with must be imaginary. How distressing.

-JT

ronnielc

Bearcat
It sounds like Galloway has somewhat of a solution but I think the CZ or xdm may work better. Is the M&P 9mm double action or single action. I have not looked? I know Glock is double action and it is a player in these competitions.

ronnielc

Bearcat
It sounds like Galloway has somewhat of a solution but I think the CZ or xdm may work better. Is the M&P 9mm double action or single action. I have not looked? I know Glock is double action and it is a player in these competitions.

ronnielc

Bearcat

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
All the major players in the polymer frame service pistol market are considered DAO. There are several reasons why but some like the Glock and SR are more so than the M&P or XDM.
Vern I hadn't considered bullseye matchs. The short reset light SA trigger is best but I can also say in about a year selling parts for the SR, 5+ years smithing pistols and networking with other industry dealers bullseye matches have never come up. Action games are the trend and where the market is. Dual purpose double stack DAO guns are the biggest market. The SR1911 is a great pistol, great choice for the bullseye matches, but unless you plan to compete in a single stack class it is a poor choice, the largest division is limited, double stack polymer guns are the norm in these divisions. These are the same guns used for duty, ccw, and home defense. Not that single stack pistols can't do these things but they aren't norm so the market follows the biggest group. Not knocking anyone just sharing what I know from 20+ years in shooting sports and seen in my business as a manufacturer and gunsmith.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Grendel said:
Hmmm...then the SR9 I compete with must be imaginary. How distressing.
-JT
You may be "competing" but are you winning against top shooters using other more suitable firearms?

I didn't say you couldn't compete with it but the SR9 is not the gun of choice if you are serious about winning against high level competition.

ronnielc

Bearcat
22/45 makes my point. If you gain .5 to one inch accuracy that is pretty good for not much more cash. That is unlike a finely tuned good 1911 and moving to Wilson combat.