Cleaning rods

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jim Puke

Hunter
What kind of rifle cleaning rod do you use?

I am about to replace my old rifle rod and was just wondering what newer one's y'all use.

roylt

Hunter
I'm not a rifle guy but Dad had an aluminum one and an old military 3 piece unit.

Curious, why would you need to replace it? How does something like that wear out?

contender

Ruger Guru
I have several cleaning rods,,, and I like the one piece ones the best. When properly used,,, most of them will do the job. However,,, a few seem to be a bit better than others. I have Tipton & Dewey rods I like a fair amount.

DGW1949

Hunter
I've accumulated dozens of cleaning rods over the years. One piece, jointed, aluminum, steel, coated and plain. You name it, I got it, including one made from brass and one of those Otis cable things.
If ya ask me, they'll all work well IF they're not bent, and IF used properly.

A rod can't flex when being pulled. It only flexes when it's being pushed. The bore of your rifle will thank you for remembering that, and for using a bore guide.

DGW

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Dewey , one piece coated ,several of them. I also own several stainless steel on piece rods.
Aluminum rods imbed with grit and cause wear to the bore. Use a bore guide if you like your rifle.

Jim Puke

Hunter
roylt said:
I'm not a rifle guy but Dad had an aluminum one and an old military 3 piece unit.

Curious, why would you need to replace it? How does something like that wear out?

Apparently, you have better rods than mine. My alum rods have gotten wobbly where the joints are on the 3pc rods...and they were cheap anyway.

I think that I will go with a 1pc this time.

Thanks all, good suggestions.

I like the Tipton graphite rod with bearing handle. Makes sense to me to have the patch follow the rifling grooves instead of dragging across them. I switched to a jag tip also. I bought it long enough to use with a bore guide, but to be honest, I haven't selected the bore guide yet.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
For bore guides I use tapered pieces of rubber or plastic tubing that I have cut from spark plug boots or from electronic clip covers. They work for either end of the barrel. The small end goes into the bore to keep the rod off the sides. I use aluminum rods and wipe them off after each pass. :D

coach

Hunter
I've always heard aluminum while softer than steel tend to pick up grit that makes it abrasive and flexes more than steel. More critical in longer rods.
I use a Hoppes stainless steel rod or a Tipton coated steel rod. The Tipton has very smooth bearings in the handle. Not sure it matters, but it feels good.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I'll second a Tipton carbon fiber/graphite one peice rod. I see no good reason to use a metal rod(coated or not)anymore with something this good available.

Jim Puke

Hunter
rugerjunkie said:
I'll second a Tipton carbon fiber/graphite one peice rod. I see no good reason to use a metal rod(coated or not)anymore with something this good available.

I agree with you.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have found three broken carbon fiber cleaning rods at the gun club in the last couple years. All three were for .17 caliber. Not saying carbon fiber is bad, but I have never seen a cleaning rod that was broken before those three.