Bore/cylinder , alignment rods?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ronniet

Single-Sixer
I have a Stainless 44-40 5.5" I bought new in '93.
Its never been too accurate.
I did a cylinder throat job on it a few months ago , opened up to .432 because of the .431+ barrel bore.
Hoping this would help.
Also cleaned the forcing cone up a bit as well as re-crowning it.
Yesterday I turned an indicating rod between centers on my lathe of just a hair under .414 that just fit between the lands in the bore.
The rod is over 3.250" long and is threaded on one end for a cleaning rod to be screwed into it.
I wanted to see something about bore/Cylinder alignment.
While holding the trigger back fully on each chamber the rod did not meet with any interference when inserted all the way to the rear frame wall.
I was wondering if this is sufficient to checking a revolvers bore to cylinder alignment?
The reason I ask is I bought a Blackhawk Stainless 44 cylinder because the measurements were the same as my 44-40 in length, ratchet and front bearing.
The 44 cylinder dropped right in , and will no or little end play the cylinder locked up tight in each chamber.
Also the bore/alignment rod di the same as with the 44-40 and met with no interference.
I would like to know if this passes the test or is there something else I should look at before firing?
Is this uncommon for an unmated cylinder to "drop" right in?
Thanks
R.

no it is not "un common" do it and it happens all the time,, as for the "range rod" checking the alignment of the bore of both the cylinder, to the barrel, if the land diameter of the given caliber is used, it should NOT "touch" ( click) entering the chamber exit hole...........sounds like you are good to go......
NOTE< remember this 'check" has to be when the gun is in battery, hammer ,down, forward, and the trigger held BACK to rear ( the pawl is at full extension)

Ronniet

Single-Sixer
Thanks Rugerguy,
No there was no "click" or any resistance what so ever felt when inserting.
Rod is good, snug @about .413755 , to fit the lands of course the cylinder throats are larger at about .431 and I noticed one of the 44mag throats @.4325
I cut one rod for my .45 @ 43970 and it did the same , no resistance but that was with only the factory cylinder for now.
I did do it wrong as for what you say is "battery" , I held both the trigger and hammer fully back , not letting the hammer forward.
Will do it with hammer forward and trigger back.
Just wondered if I had the rods correctly made, never having seen one before. Know it not for match grade but for safety sake.
Ron

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
In a Ruger single action, when the hammer is down the pawl is retracted and not holding the cylinder. The cylinder latch/bolt is the only part holding the cylinder in alignment with the barrel. Yes/No???

Ronniet

Single-Sixer
Yes Chuck that would be right the Pawl would be relaxed with hammer down.
I will recheck the bore /cylinder alignment with only the trigger held back.
And yes OldPhart, all chambers were check then double checked.
Will do it again with hammer down, trigger back.
Its amazing that an unmated cylinder would fit like that.
Are there any specs on end play shake?
Something I could check with a feeler gauge or dial indicator?

Latest posts