Cleaning #1 Pad

Help Support Ruger Forum:

adam12

Single-Sixer
I just got a new red Pachmyr Decelerator pad on my .375 H&H . I picked it up this afternoon and when I took it out of the case I noticed the pad was "dirty", marked up with garagegunsmith grease and such.

OK, so this is nitpicky, but can anyone recommend a way to clean up the pad? I mean, it is brand new RED and it does look cool, but I'd like it to look as cool as it can!

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
adam12, LOL at the gunsmith remark. Like getting your car back from the mechanic with greasy palm prints all over it and on the steering wheel. Just sayin'. To clean your pad I'd start with the least destructive detergent first - like Dawn Dish Soap and progress from there.

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
I have had good luck with a product called De-sol-vit, Orange peel base. Gentle but effective. Melted roof tar from a ladder but safe to get on your hands.

adam12

Single-Sixer
Thanks, guys! I kinda made it sound worse than it really is, just to get the picture across. Actually, about the gunsmiths, I'm thrilled to have found them. All the old guys I used to know are gone - RIP or just retired. LKo and behold I discovered some talented young guys operating out of a complex with the space of about 3 garages, tools all over the place, guns all over the place, everywhere you look it's jammed and there's not a clean space anywhere. In other words - PEFECT!

And they're located only about 10 miles away from me, down a long street, up in the woods. A great location. But the best thing is the fact that they are very talented and they are YOUNG. It's just wonderful to see younger guys with that much knowledge and interest in firearms operating a gunsmith business in 2015. It bodes well fro the future of our shooting sports.

And before I forget to say it AGAIN, the job they did on the pad is, like all the other jobs they've done for me, top notch.