Caution - non Ruger....S&W 422 ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Back when the guns were in production I found the light weight appealing.

All in all, tho, I would rather have a Browning Buckmark.

I have owned both the 422 and 622, and I was pleased with them, both in accuracy and function. For me, they are also very ergonomically pleasing. Like most of everything in my gun-traders world, they went down the road to be replaced by something else, for no good reason. :mrgreen:

These are guns that if somebody close to me had an opportunity to buy one, I would not talk them out of it.

WAYNO.

6mm

Bearcat
I have had a couple of the 422's and was pleased with them. I don't think I ever has any issues with them.

ranger1

Buckeye
Great little plinkers IMO. Unfortunately, I made a stupid mistake and sold mine about 3 years ago.
BTW, some folks claim they have weak firing pins but that's only hearsay. I purchased mine used and had no problems whatsoever with it.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
IMO you're gonna like the 422.
I have had the 422, 622, and 6" 2206 in the stable and still have the 2206 & 422. The latter packs like a feather and holds ten rounds at ready. I thought the 2206s all had adjustable sights but have seen some in 4" with the dovetailed-in fixed rear. They were all bought back when S&W fitted them with REALLY nice walnut grips! And the mags are the same as the M41, so score!

I've found them all accurate enough when I do my part, for sitting ground game and rolling cans with consistent fun. I packed the 422 on many day-long treestand deer hunts loaded with non-cycling CB loads, for chattering squirrels or vermin giving away my presence. I also used the aluminum guns when running/training my setters, due to the non-existent weight and accuracy should I need to protect the dogs. At the end of the day I reminded myself what a drag any steel-framed auto would have been.

The downside is optics for aging eyes of course. But for anyone able to use the excellent S&W sights they remain under-rated but high-value, high-fun handguns.

I've read that there is no one left at S&W who knows how to build them, so maybe one day there may be some interest, but I doubt we'll ever see the day they fetch four figures, etc. They definitely bring a smile when used, so what's the question again ?! ;)

damienph

Bearcat
I had a 6" 422 with adjustable sights and wooden grips that I bought in '87 or '88. I really liked it. I agree that it wasn't quite as accurate as my Ruger Standard or MkII Target but better than a plinker. Mine was stolen when my house was broken into in 1990, otherwise I would still have it. I'll buy another when I find one again for a fair price. I very rarely see them for sale.

damienph

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ said:
shoot-n-iron said:
Pretty good little guns...but not in the same league with the MK series Ruger.

In what way if you don't mind? Your opinion is appreciated but it doesn't have much substance to base a buying decision on. :wink:
I know that you weren't necessarily asking me but... In my experience, my 422 was acceptably accurate (enough that I would like to have another) but it was not as accurate as my two Ruger semi autos. Besides my old tapered barrel Standard and my bull barelled MkII Target, I also have a Sig Mosquito and a Walther P22. My 422 was more accurate than the latter two, less than the former two. About on the same level as my Single Six.
You should get the 422, they are good pistols.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
If the price is right I say go for it and you won't regret it. I have had a few over the years and sent them on their way but recently got the all stainless model (2206 I think) with a 6" barrel for $300 so it is safe in the safe with no where to go along side it's 622 brother that won't be leaving soon. They are fun to shoot and seem reliable and accurate enough for anything I need them for. You used to be able to buy the 422s for $250 or less all day long but I just don't see them as often around here any more so if it is in that price range and good condition I would go for it. Hope this helps your decision.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I bought one when they came out in 86 or 87. Mine blew a case head on the .22 Remington golden bullet on the first shot peppering my face pretty good. I called Smith and Wesson on it and the rep actually said he doubted what I was telling him. I checked the barrel and found a void/flaw in the chamber that was really bad. I then sold the gun for parts. I felt that overall it was cheaper and lighter weight in manufacture than the AMT lightening (Ruger MKII copy) I replaced it with.

TinStarFirearms

Single-Sixer
I received one as a Christmas present in 1990 or so and still use it to this day. I put an aftermarket adapter on it and use it with a small suppressor. The low profile barrel still allows full use of the factory sights which is uncommon on a pistol.

zr1

Bearcat
Back in the day...
Before kids...was single, working graveyards. Paid $65/mo for rent and after a paycheck of filling up the motorcycle and paying bills...er...the 1 single and only rent bill...bought some bricks of ammo and rode out to shoot the 422. I was doing 1000 rounds a week one summer at an abandoned shooting pit.

My target of choice was either saltine crackers (box of 160 was about 55 cents at the time) placed on the side of the hill or I'd take some empty gallon-milk jugs and throw 1-3 of them up as high as I could on the hill and then as they'd roll down, I'd shoot them and they'd leap up a few more feet. It was difficult keeping 2-3 jugs from rolling to the bottom, but I got to where I could keep 1 up for a while.

Bone-stock 422, I put over 20,000 rounds through it. Easy to break down with a spend-22 case and easy to clean. I didn't have any hickups, though after about 400-500 rounds in a shooting session, it would start to malfunction. This usually started with a failure to fully seat the slide forward into battery.

Sold it some time later after hard financial times, but wish I still had it. I have a Walther P22 these days, the P22 (Zinc and plastic) will wear out and die some day, but that 422 would have outlived me. However compared to the MkII/III and the Buckmark, the 422 wasn't quite as robust as those.

No issues with magazines either, though I always wished it was a doublestack mag with more capacity with that much shooting. But I can appreciate making a reliable single-stack mag from a rimmed case is not the easiest thing to do as it is.

Recommend it highly.

I have one but it does not get out very often. I am terrible about cleaning guns. I would rather sell it and buy another. The 422 is terrible once it gets used a bit. After 300 rounds of regular cheapo ammo it will start jamming up. If I could trade it for a stainless Mark 2 ---it would be out of my safe in a hurry.