Cartridge conversion cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mattrowlett

Bearcat
Who sells the strongest conversion cylinder for ruger old army? There are about 4 makers out there.
Also, are the conversion cylinders made from Ruger cylinders?
45 colt.
Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
I can't offer any help about which ones are the strongest,,, but I can say that Ruger doesn't make any.

DGW1949

Hunter
I'm somewhat concerned in terms of what may be prompting your question.
In other words, Ruger's Old Army is a good, heavy duty, black powder gun. The key phrase there being "black powder", and all that that implies...which to me means that if you're thinking about doing any sort of hot-rodding of the platform which involves smokeless powder, ya might want to think again..."cartridge cylinder" or not.

Aside from that, my suggestion would be to seek some input from the "cowboy action" community relative to which brand of conversion cylinder has proven to work the best. My reasoning there is that a lot of those guys have been at this sort of stuff long enough to have about tried it all. Plus, some of them are known to be purty-good gunsmiths in their own right.
Not saying that there's not some guys around here whom are just as knowledgeable...just offering an additional option, that's all.

Good luck in your endeavors.

DGW

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I believe most of the cylinder conversion kits are only rated for Cow Boy Action loads.
I don't know which one is the strongest,,,,but I'll bet none are recommended for full house loads,,if that's what you seek.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your quest.

terry

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Welcome to the forum.

They're likely all made from 4140 or similar steel and most likely therefore to be of similar strength. You won't find comparable strength ratings unless the maker has sent them for lab testing. That would be unusual because it's expensive!

So all you're gonna' get are opinions and we know what that's worth.

Read the fine print for each of the four cyls made. Some indicate black powder cartridge loads only.

Any that indicate smokeless loads or standard smokeless loads only, obviously have greater confidence in the strength of their products. Yes the guns are meant for black powder but they're modern firearms/steels and a moot point; the cyl is always the weakest link in any revolver.

My opinion, and also worth what you paid for it, all the cyls are over engineered for liability reasons.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I just read an old article in reloaded magazine from 2015 a review of the R&D conversion cylinder. To me this sounds like the best one but not to exceed standered loads.

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
I run a Taylors 45LC conversion cylinder in My BP Pietta 44.........No problems........All I use in it is ANY standard 45 colt load..........

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I have the Kirst Conversion for the ROA. It seems really well made. The fit into the ROA was very nice right out of the box. I also have one for my Uberti BP for shooting 45 colt cartridge as well.

I don't know how to rate toughness. None are made to shoot over Tier One 14000 psi.

This is from Howell advertisement
" It will convert your blackpowder revolver to fire "Cowboy" ammunition. Only top grade certified steel (4150 Steel Cylinder and 4140 Steel Top Plate) is used in the production of these cylinders to offer superior quality, strength and safety. Due to manufacturing variations in revolvers, some minor fitting may be required.

Note: This conversion cylinder is for BLACK POWDER cartridges or black powder equivalent cartridges (also called Cowboy Ammunition) with lead bullets on a steel frame revolver ONLY. Attempting to use modern ammunition and/or installation on a brass frame will create a dangerous condition that can result in injury or death. "

and now a second type :
"This is the R&D Cartridge Conversion cylinder with loading gate for the .36 caliber Uberti 1851 or 1861 Navy percussion revolver with .375" grooves. You will need to drill and tap two 6-32 screws and cut the loading groove, complete instructions are enclosed. This cylinder converts it to shoot 38 Long Colt cartridge loaded with hollow base or heeled bullets. You can also use 38 Special hollow based wadcutter ammuntion. The cylinders are rated "For Black Powder or Equivalent Loads Only", which includes the current Cowboy Loads on the market. To overcome the larger bore of the original barrel, it is recommended that you use either hollow based bullets or heeled type bullets in your cowboy loads."

This R and D is nice having the loading gate, but in 38 colt. Howell has one as well. You don't have to pull the cylinder to reload. PITA

The conversion cylinder manufacturers ($275) seem to all say cowboy load only. The ROA toughness is not the question, it's the conversion cylinder that will blow first.

Buy a cheap used BH ($400) and shoot what you like. After buying two, I think conversion cylinders are NOT value purchases. I would rather have a second, strong sixgun than a PITA.

Prescut

Mattrowlett

Bearcat
Thanks everyone for your information and concern. I am planning on buying a Blackhawk, was wondering just what the ROA could handle being the strongest BP out there and much stronger than any original design.

Latest posts