Carbon build up in .357 Magnum....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

andyo5

Single-Sixer
If you put 725 rounds of 38 special through it without cleaning it, I am not surprise that it fouled up like that.
Clean it more often. Way more often.
I frequently shoot .38s in my .357 revolver, for steel challenge matches. They are lead target loads. After 50 rounds or so, I have to brush out the chambers with a nylon bristle brush or else the cases will begin to hang up. I shoot about 125 rounds per match and clean it after each match.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Well, for those of you who have suggested I clean my guns more frequently, I clean my guns after each firing session. And use Hoppe's No. 9 with stainless steel bore brushes.

As to the fouling, it appears to be a combination of lead and carbon. As I said, I've no idea how many rounds have been fired through the gun, only that I've put less than 5,000 rounds through it.

And, again, all is well now.

Bob Wright

jsh

Single-Sixer
I had read and heard for years about shooting 38's in 357's. So of course I did. Yes sir it goes bang every time. The out come on paper has been less than desirable. However I will say prior to my GP weakness these were all SW revolvers.
Yes you can put a Briggs and Stratton in a Camero to get better gas mileage. But why? Just keep your foot out of the throttle and let it idle along.
Yes I cleaned after every outing. But it was after a few cylinders full that any accuracy at all soon went away. I went to 357 cases and no more grief.
Both my marlin lever guns in 44 and 357 are fed a diet of magnum length cases.
I have done as mentioned above seating bullets out in 38 cases. Accuracy was a lot better but the "ring" still appeared in some what short order.
MOST factory revolvers have pretty sloppy chambers. Mr Bradshaw mentions on numerous post that the 357 max will digest the magnums with out any ills.
One other thing is a proper sized cast bullet. So many folks are using generic sized bullets and alloys that are to hard. Then want to blame the gun or bullet. I have softened up my alloy and been air cooling for a couple of years. Bump or slug up on ignition seems to be working better. Loads are running just as fast as ever and with better accuracy.
One last thing. Lubes on so many cast are nothing more than melted crayons. I make my own Felix lube and have had no issues. I am no scientist by a y means, but when petro products are but under exteme heat and pressure you end up with tar, in a nut shell.
Jeff