bullet lodged in LCR38 special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman said:
billccm said:
Once I get this gun fixed I'm trading it off. I'm done with little plastic handguns.

Whadda ya want for it? Heck, I'll send it to Ruger for a FREE fix or replacement and will shoot the heck out of it!

This is an ammo issue. Has nothing to do with the frame being polymer but .... to each their own.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hittman

Staff member
P89DC said:
Does anyone ever get them out with a wooden dowel? Seems like the successful extractions start with brass allthread.

I do.

Only had 2 or 3 squib loads in the past 10 years or so but ..... each time a gentle tap on a wooden dowel and they shot right out.

billccm

Bearcat
Thanks for all of the replies.

The only way this slug is coming out is with a drill bit. It is soldered into the barrel.

I am 100% positive it is one single round stuck in the barrel.

I'll see about contacting Remington. I guess at minimum this box should not be fired, and if Remington does not stand behind it I should just throw the remaining ammo out (that hurts).

I filled out an on line request for service at Ruger.

I will update this thread when I get a reply from Ruger.

z1r

Single-Sixer
I've seen more than a few lodged bullet situations made worse from the use of a wooden dowel. The shear, then wedge in place. They work fine until they don't!

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
P89DC said:
Does anyone ever get them out with a wooden dowel? Seems like the successful extractions start with brass allthread.

I've knocked out a few squibs with a wooden dowel with success.

billccm

Bearcat
Well I got the slug out. I left the gun in the freezer all night. Then before church this morning I placed the barrel pointing up in my vise. Tightly clamped with vibration rubber. I filled the barrel with Prolix and left it for four hours.
First dowel cracked to pieces with two good hammer hits.
Second dowel moved the slug 1/4 inch.
Thrid dowel removed the slug.
Bore bushed the heck out of the barrel with liberal soaking of Prolix. Barrel looks undamaged.
I have Remington ammo phone number and box of remaining ammo and slug. I'll let you know what they say.
Thanks for the advice and support.
Take care Bill

knew it would come out, most folks just do NOT hit it hard enough , ( or use a big enough hammer) or try and pull it out the front, gotta go BACK the way it went in.......99% of the time a short wooden dowel works just fine, ,but as I noted in my reply if any doubt use a short, NON metallic brass, bronze or whatever dowel, we support the frame from inside as to NOT "mar" (scratch) the outside of the barrel.............
that "look of welded or soldered" is just that , "the look", ( appears) but not in fact.......... 8) :roll: :wink:

Glad to hear it worked out for you, and YES , contact Remington......... 8)

billccm

Bearcat
Contacted Remington this morning; very nice lady on the phone claimed it is very unusual for 38 special to have issues. She took lot number information and said Remington will decide if I should just get a refund, or need to send the ammo back for inspection. She said it should be three, or four days for me to receive an email.

I hope this is truly a rare occasion as I have quite a few boxes of this ammo.

Thanks again for the info and support. You guys are great!

billccm

Bearcat
YES. It is the 130 grain, jacketed 38 special in the green and white box. I believe I paid $17 per box of 50 at WalMart.

billccm

Bearcat
Ruger customer service replied; they basically said call for an RMA number. The barrel looks undamaged. Should I try the gun out at the range, or return to Ruger for a check out?
Thanks for the support. Have a nice day, Bill

CGDustDevil

Buckeye
Yep - Ruger will fix it. And the barrel ain't plastic. Just some of the external parts. ;) Good luck!

Regards, Pete

They (Ruger) are offering to check it out and ensure that the revolver is in good, dependable condition on their dime - I think that chances are good your pistol is fine, but why not get the peace of mind with having them check it all over?

billccm

Bearcat
I still have not decided what to do as to return the LCR to Ruger. About 50% of the opinions I have collected say return, and the other 50% say shoot away if the barrel looks undamaged.

I did receive a letter and FedEx return lablel from Remington today. I'll send back the remaining 20 rounds and slug on Monday.

I will update the post when I hear back from Remington.

Have a nice day, Bill

k22fan

Blackhawk
The most common cause of squibs is not throwing a powder charge while using a blue progressive reloading press. The biggest hazard is not noticing the squib then firing a second bullet into the stuck bullet from the squib. As long as that second shot is not fired the stuck bullet usually gets tapped out at the range leaving no damage.

The only really unusual thing in this story is the shooter seeing sparks flying out. That is unusual enough for me to suggest taking advantage of Ruger's offer to repair any damage for free. While I agree that it is unlikely the gun was hurt, the only down side I can think of to sending it back would be loosing a home trigger job to replacement parts and the O.P. did not write the revolver got a trigger job. The up side is that an individually inspected product often winds up better than an average production line example.

contender

Ruger Guru
To the OP; If you feel the least bit unsure,,, or uncomfortable,,, send the gun back to Ruger for a safety check. It will give YOU peace of mind.

k22fan,,,, he was using factory ammo,,, not reloads. And yes,,, squibs happen to many reloaders. But, I've loaded tens of thousands on my blue progressives,,, and never had a squib. On my 650,, I have powder check dies, and I've never had the alarm buzzer sound off. It comes down to how you use the equipment that makes the differences.
One thing I do not do is leave powder in my hopper after a loading session. The powder hopper is not a proper way to store powder until use. It is returned to it's proper jug after a loading session. As such, it has no chance of absorbing any airborne moisture or whatever which might cause a little clumping & such.