Browning Citori Gti

Help Support Ruger Forum:

annasophia

Bearcat
I'm a somewhat of a regular browser/ occasional poster here on this forum and don't really know where else to ask this question because it's about a Browning. Does anyone have experience with the Citori Gti shotgun? I'm wanting to get an over/under for clays and hunting...kind of all around use...and I have a friend with one of these in near new condition and it seems to fit me well when I shoulder it. It has 30" bbls (ported...which doesn't especially excite me), and a really wide rib. I have used Citori shotguns on several occasions and really like them in general. I just am wondering if this model would be very useful for hunting birds as well as shooting clays rather than strictly for clays. I can get it for what I think it a reasonable price, but want to make a good decision as to my intended use for the gun rather than get into something that's really solely a clays gun. Any advice and/or opinions are much appreciated.

-Anna Sophia

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
"ported" A lot of the muzzle blast goes sideways, not out the front. No real problem if shooting targets, as you will wear ear muffs. For hunting, one does not usually use hearing protection. I would shoot it before purchase with no muffs. I don't think you will like it.

Chief 101

Hunter
I don,t know what the porting is going to do for you but make a lot of noise...shoot it and find out

35ruger

Single-Sixer
I had one, it didn`t fit me at all and just pounded me in the cheek.
If your going to hunt with it your not going to like the porting.
I ended up with a Citori lightning with 28" barrels, it`s a very good all arounder.
If you do decide to buy it shoot it first!!

Chief 101

Hunter
35ruger said:
I had one, it didn`t fit me at all and just pounded me in the cheek.
If your going to hunt with it your not going to like the porting.
I ended up with a Citori lightning with 28" barrels, it`s a very good all arounder.
If you do decide to buy it shoot it first!!
what I would suggest too

Stumps13

Single-Sixer
I have had a GTI since the late 80's. I must have shot at least over 500,000 rounds either in tournaments, practice or European style hunts. I will tell you that I did have to get stock work done and a trigger job to meet my needs. This gun is probably best suited for clays but can be used for either. Good luck with your choice.
Stumps

35ruger

Single-Sixer
Stumps13 said:
I have had a GTI since the late 80's. I must have shot at least over 500,000 rounds either in tournaments, practice or European style hunts. I will tell you that I did have to get stock work done and a trigger job to meet my needs. This gun is probably best suited for clays but can be used for either. Good luck with your choice.
Stumps

Stumps,

What stock work did you have done?
Was it pounding you in the cheek?
Just curious.

Thanks, Dennis

mattsbox99

Hunter
Its definitely going to be a strictly Sporting Clays type gun. With 30" barrels it is heavy (8+ lbs) and not suited for field carry at all.

Not that you can't hunt with it, but if you're going to be mostly clays and one or two hunting trips with it, it may well work out just fine.

valkrider

Bearcat
I bought one new in 1994 or 95 and it was a great gun. The advice about weight for a hunting shotgun is spot on, a bit heavy.

I sold mine to a friend that shoots it every weekend for skeet. I'll bet that gun has 200k rounds through it now and it is very loose in the action and the lever is way on the other side of center indicating it needs a rebuild of the pivot. He sent it back to Browning to get the work done and they refused to work on it because he had the forcing cones lengthened at a skeet championship. They said they won't work on a modified gun for safety reasons.

I sold mine to upgrade to a Beretta 682 Gold sporting which fit me much better.

If you can get it for a good price I'd say go for it. You can always sell it or trade if it doesn't suit your needs. If you shoot more clay targets than hunting for birds then it will probably serve you very well.

APEXDUCK

Single-Sixer
I own one that I have had since the late 80's as well. There are two flavors of these, one with red lettering (older model with invector tubes) and gold lettering (newer with invector plus tubes), I have the newer style. They are heavy guns deigned for clays shooting. I have used it for release bird hunts and dove hunts with no issues. I have had mine rebuilt but Browning twice, but I have shot it a lot. Both times I dropped it off to Borwning and had it back in days (not weeks). If you can get it a good price I would jump on it.

Apexduck

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

No experience w/ the Gti, but have owned a few, and shot many other, Citoris. Still have a Belgian Browning Lightning, too. For myself, a Citori needs to have its barrels about 2" shorter than a similar Belgian or Italian gun to swing about the same, so the 30' bbls are something I'd pay close attention to. I'm also no fan of ported barrels for a variety of reasons.

That being said, I'd go along w/ the advice to shoot the gun before deciding, and would suggest trying to shoot one w/ 28" bbls, too. Then buy the one that feels good and you can hit targets with!

Rick C

Major T

Blackhawk
Citotis are bank vault strong. Good clays gun and as 35Ruger says, good for European style shooting for driven game or even shootIng dove from stations. I would not want to carry one on a walk and shoot type bird hunt, and your hunting companions are going to like the porting even less than you do.

As great as the guns are, I suggest it is the wrong gun for an all around specimen. My two cents. Jack

Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

No experience w/ the Gti, but have owned a few, and shot many other, Citoris. Still have a Belgian Browning Lightning, too. For myself, a Citori needs to have its barrels about 2" shorter than a similar Belgian or Italian gun to swing about the same, so the 30' bbls are something I'd pay close attention to. I'm also no fan of ported barrels for a variety of reasons.

That being said, I'd go along w/ the advice to shoot the gun before deciding, and would suggest trying to shoot one w/ 28" bbls, too. Then buy the one that feels good and you can hit targets with!

Rick C

I agree. I have a Remington 1187 with 30" barrel only because I try to do a little ducking. The 30" works good for ducks, high flying doves and for trap. But I would try a 28" so you can get a comparison. The 28" will be have a noticeable faster swing to it.

I personally don't like the Citori. Don't get me wrong I really like Browning shotguns but it is just too heavy for me and it does fit me. Now my 20 gauge Red Label is a totally different story. :D

Latest posts