Browning BSS 12 Ga

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Looks like a good 'un! Briley can use the same "thin wall" tubes that they supplied for the Ruger Gold Label. Mine works fine with steel shot, although I've never tried anything larger than 3s.

Mike,

Thanks for the informed input you provided as I was making my decision to purchase this gun. :)

I was concerned about recoil with this gun but the weight of the gun really reduces the recoil.

I just fell in love with it when I was test firing it this morning. :oops:

The wood and steel looks different in the light of day. 8)

Considering all options about chokes still.

Those Briley tubes would make this gun extremely versatile.

If I get those barrel off to briley's soon, I can get them back for opening day of Dove season. 8)

Bill

Bill, an alternative to Briley's would be to buy a case of scatter loads. I've used US (two different mfrs.; but can't remember either.....) and Fiocchi Italian-made ones in an Ithaca 16 with both barrels tighter than a gnat's you-know-what and in the imp/mod 12 ga. barrel of my Valmet combination gun and they really open up the patterns.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Buckeye Bill said:
They were asking $975.

I offered $850.

They countered with $925.

I held off to do some research. 8)

If research took you to Gunbroker I think $925.00 looks pretty good?

My only shotgun is a Browning BSS in 20 Gauge with the English stock - used to keep it in my college dorm room, went pheasant hunting in western MA during light school days. Great quality, I think they're only going to go up in price.

wildhobbybobby

Bearcat
I have a 12 ga BSS that is a dead ringer for yours except that it is a 26" IC/M gun/ It has 2 3/4" chambers and the non-selective trigger.Generally speaking, I love side by sides but have a hard time hitting with them. Over the years I have owned and sold quite a few different ones in a quest to find one or two that I could use effectively.

The BSS has becone one of my three favorite shotguns because it fits me perfectly and I seem to hit everything I look at when firing it. I took it to ND for pheasants last year and did VERY well with it. My other side by side these days is an SKB/Ithaca 280E 20 ga and a Browning Sweet 16 is my third pet shotgun.

The BSS is a bit heavy but very robust and last several lifetimes. I have no plans to ever use steel shot or mess with the chokes on mine. I really enjoy taking it afield and watching the birds crumple.

Congratulations on your purchase. You got a good price on that BSS.

single action

Single-Sixer
okay that is a screaming price on that gun. buy it. They are excellent guns that are well made and have a bit of a following. Always amazed me Ruger could not get the consistency on side by sides whereas they have been made for well over 100 years around the world by many different manufacturers. IMHO Bob

Gearhead Jim

Bearcat
Congrats on the BSS.
If you look in your link to Shotgun World, I commented about my own BSS with Briley chokes. 12 ga/28".
The stocks fits me differently, but the weight and balance point are exactly identical to my Remington 11-87 with the Light Contour 26" barrel. So "heavy" is a relative term.

Gearhead Jim,

I did see your post on SWF.

I hear you about the weight comparison.

Before I bought this gun I spent a couple of days thinking about it and trying to talk myself out of it.

I just could not pass on this beauty.

For how I intend on using this gun, the weight should not be an issue.

I took it out twice this week and just tried swinging it and firing at the empty sky.

I like the way it swings and recoil is friendly due to the heft.

I am very happy and look forward to September 1st. 8)

Bill