Brand new Wiley Clapp 357 SP101 cyl not reamed deep Enuff

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
This is not a problem with chambers. Ammunition dimensions vary from one maker to the next, so it is certain that one type will allow the cylinder to rotate and others will not allow it. Measurements mean something. You are looking for .006 - .008" headspace on a revolver of this caliber, measured between an empty case and the recoil shield (measure with feeler gauges). As I said, it is a serious problem and not a matter of cleaning or polishing. So, what is the headspace measurement?

I think 5of7 is correct. I have a GP100 (4" Blued) with short chambers too. I can shoot any non wad-cutter rounds through it, but if I put in any of my semi wad cutter 357 rounds into it, I can't close the cylinder. Doesn't matter the make of the brass, I have tried RP, Win, FC, Hornady, Starline, PMC, and probably 1/2 dozen others. They all fit fine, as empty cases, but once loaded with a semi wad cutter, the cylinder will bind on the case heads win closing. I know it's not a carbon ring issue, as I have never shot a 38 through it. And 38 Special dummy rounds I made up with SWC's will cycle just peachy.

One of these days I'll get Ruger to fix it.

XJBluto

Bearcat
Carry_Up said:
This is not a problem with chambers. Ammunition dimensions vary from one maker to the next, so it is certain that one type will allow the cylinder to rotate and others will not allow it. Measurements mean something. You are looking for .006 - .008" headspace on a revolver of this caliber, measured between an empty case and the recoil shield (measure with feeler gauges). As I said, it is a serious problem and not a matter of cleaning or polishing. So, what is the headspace measurement?
Not a headspace issue , as the 38 and 357 case rims are identical. The 38s seat and shoot fine. The 357 rounds will not fully seat. Their noses are bumping the distal chamber. The cylinder chambers were not reamed sufficiently deep.

O2HeN2

Bearcat
XJBluto said:
Not a headspace issue , as the 38 and 357 case rims are identical. The 38s seat and shoot fine. The 357 rounds will not fully seat. Their noses are bumping the distal chamber. The cylinder chambers were not reamed sufficiently deep.
Since we've exhausted all other explanations, I agree. Not enough "freebore" (probably a misuse of the term, but it gets the point across). Send it back to Ruger and report back to us how it goes...

Meanwhile, a week after ordering it, my WC SP101 still hasn't shipped... :(

O2

XJBluto

Bearcat
O2HeN2 said:
XJBluto said:
Since we've exhausted all other explanations, I agree. Not enough "freebore" (probably a misuse of the term, but it gets the point across). Send it back to Ruger and report back to us how it goes...

Meanwhile, a week after ordering it, my WC SP101 still hasn't shipped... :(

O2
Where did you order it from?
I ordered mine from impact guns it shipped in 48 hours.
Too bad it was jacked out of the box.

O2HeN2

Bearcat
budsgunshop.com. Ordered it last Monday, it entered shipping status today (8 days after ordering) but it hasn't shipped yet (no tracking number). Great, the idea was to get it here BEFORE the black Friday shipping debacle. Now it'll be right in the thick of it.

O2

XJBluto

Bearcat
Shipped it back to big Ruger. They emailed me a ship label for fed x.it was delivered to New Hampshire at noon Wednesday before Thanksgiving. We will see how fast they turn this around. Hoping to see a shipped back to me email next week.

O2HeN2

Bearcat
I just picked mine up - beautiful gun!

XJ, it won't make you feel any better but my chambers were bored correctly. Dropped in five .357 rounds and the cylinder spun without any drag...

O2

pingman274

Bearcat
My black GP 100 Wiley Clapp model had exactly the same problem over a year ago and I was the third person here to have the problem. Ruger took it back and replaced the cylinder in about three weeks. No further trouble. It's a recurring issue with these, it would seem.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=180216&start=45

XJBluto

Bearcat
sent my pistol to Ruger. Two weeks to the day and it was returned. They replaced the ejector and cylinder latch. Looks to be fixed. Gonna take it to the range and see. No freebies in the box, two week wait. Smmmmhhhh. Not impressed with The Mother Ship. Should have been right out of the box. Prolly the last Ruger wheel gun I buy.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Glad you got it home and right. Don't let a bitter taste spoil your new relationship with your new little friend.