Bob Campbells Hawkeye is at auction. Its Nice.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

yep, and maximums and lots and lot s of brass frames that were deemed "bad"....oh well
I recall years ago when High Standard moved to East Hartford, and we were up there training and I helped Bob Shea and others scrap out, burn dump all kinds of boxes, catalogs , etc after the move...BIG business and cleaning house..... :roll:

anyway back on topic,who ever got Bobs' Hawkeye, got a NICE one,Bob was so tickled when he got that gun.......

As discussed in a lengthy thread over on the "other" Rugerforum site relating to the Old Army, a transfer bar arrangement COULD have been designed into the Hawkeye without too much difficulty, but the Hawkeye had already died before that became an issue. Mr. Bill simply realized it wasn't going to be a market success and pulled the plug on the project. He wasn't one to throw good money after bad.

As Dan says, that was a superb score for someone.

:)

Wheelgun

Bearcat
I don't remember the total, but it wasn't a mass quantity of Hawkeyes that met their untimely demise. Less than a dozen I think, but don't quote me on that figure.

Mark

bogus bill

Hunter
I had a new one in the box in the 1970`s. A friend of mine had it and I had a brace of $29.95 repo .36 colt navy's by EMF or one of them. Traded them to him for the Hawkeye! I did shoot mine some and loved that cartridge. It hardly kicked up it would deafen you! Flat shooting and a flame thrower. I had a martini action rifle chambered for the .256 and loved it. I also have a contender barrel. I have a lot of ammo and dies. Sold my Hawkeye to give a down pmt for my divorce lawyer in 1986. I sold it on consignment and netted $800s for it I think. Here is my Contender. Its a super low number, 1st or 2nd year. I bought it with a 45/410 barrel and it came in a mahogony wood T/C logo case. I have a scope on the .256 barrel.