Blazer 9mm ammo Alum, ok to use?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

looney2ns

Bearcat
I have a new SR9c on the way. Went into my local Dicks Sporting Goods to check out ammo for taget practice. Found the Blazer 9mm aluminum at a very good price. But two store jockey's behind the counter talked me out of it. Claiming the ammo has problems in many guns.

I'm a newbie, it's all greek to me.
Advice please!
Thanks.

gunman42782

Hunter
I have used Blazer in many a gun with nary a problem. Decent practice ammo, you just can't reload it.

khutch

Bearcat
Here is what the owner's manual says:

"The SR-SERIES pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition of the
correct caliber loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and
hollow-point loads, loaded in brass, aluminum, or steel cartridge cases. No 9mm Parabellum or .40 S&W ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these pistols."

Cheap ammo should be fine for use at the range. The occasional failure should be limited to a failure to fire or eject. Neither is dangerous to you or the gun. For defense purposes you want to use something better of course.

Ken

cas6969

Buckeye
I had one Glock that didn't like it, failures to extract. Everything else didn't seem to know the difference.

It can't hurt anything, buy a box and try it.

JimB120

Bearcat
Used it in a variety of weapons in a variety of calibers, and it has always functioned accurately and reliably.

I like to use it when I shoot IDPA because I don't worry about not picking up the cases. :D

GhosT

Blackhawk
If memory serves when Blazer ammo came out.........
A good ,accurate,reliable, less expensive ammo....Ya just can't reload the cases.

Think that covers it.

jhearne

Buckeye
I shoot the stuff as a personal choice. It's a bit dirty, but the gun always comes clean. Generally a dollar cheaper and readily available. Never had an issue with it, well over 1K rounds through my SR9.

Josh

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Everyone I know who's used the stuff says it's as good as, or better than, most of the others in a similar price range. I've never used it cuz of the non-reloadable thing... but that's no reflection on its quality.

Rick C

I have shot the Blazer in 9mm and 45 Acp with no problems. Picked up alot before the big rush a few years ago for $7.99 in 9mm. been through about 1000 rds with no problems.

agentadam

Single-Sixer
Glock has been using blazer aluminum at the factory for years to test all of their guns. Who knows how many millions of rounds. And the SR9 is very glockish.

Charon

Single-Sixer
I have heard that aluminum Blazers should not be used in straight blow-back guns, such as Marlin Camp Carbines, the Ruger PC9 and PC4, and probably others. Hipoint carbines and pistols come to mind. Case ruptures are possible. Guns on which the barrel and slide recoil together for a short distance allow the pressure to drop further before case extraction begins.

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
I've shot a bunch of it. In my experience it tends to be pretty accurate for "budget" practice ammunition.

Caveats.

1. It's more susceptible to setback in my experience so I wouldn't consider using it in a situation where the same round might be chambered more than once.

2. My CZ75 doesn't like it and will fail to extract about once every 50 rounds or so. I've heard that the CZ pistols are picky about aluminum cased ammunition.

A

Anonymous

Last time we went shooting my family ran 700-800 rounds of blazer aluminum, through five different 9mm autos, of three different makers and it worked fine in all.

DGW1949

Hunter
All in all, the alumium Blazer is perty-good ammo. But yep, set back can be a problem if ya chamber the same round more than once.

DGW

Latest posts