Birthday present suggestions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rockimook

Bearcat
Hello everyone,
I hope this isn't in the wrong place.

But I need help, I want to get my wife a pistol for her birthday. I'm not sure which one to get her. Any suggestions?

Her hands are not tiny, not big either. Was thinking about the LCP, I'm pretty sure she won"t like how small it is though. She's mainly a fan of semi auto's, not so much revolvers (only ones with pink handles, lol). She loves my P95, not the SR9c so much mainly because the slide isn't the easiest to pull back and release. I'm thinking .380 - 9mm range, not a must though. She has handled up to a 45cal. Was thinking something she could conceal when she got her permit, will get her another when that comes around if need be though. Doesn't have to be Ruger.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Chech out the SIG P238 .380. It's basically a COLT Mustang copy. Easiest slide rack I've ever experienced. Not a Ruger, and pricey at about $650 but it solves the problem for people lacking hand strength.

Wife and I rented one with factory laser. Very accurate and she loved it. Heck, so did I. She cant handle theslide on my SR9, or the snap from my LCR.

roylt

Hunter
If she likes your P95 give it to her and get another gun for yourself or get another P95 for her. They are good, cheap, guns. You can pick one up for around 250 and still have money to buy ammo.

With that said, let me add, guns are very specific things. If you get her something and she doesn't like it, it will just be money wasted. If you got time before her birthday try to pull a fast one by taking her to look at guns and get her to tell you her opinion before you lay down the money.

I would like my wife to get a gun but she doesn't want one. I will most likely let her use my P95 or other unit to her choosing and buy something that she would appreciate more than a gun. (read that last part as jewelry HAHA)

Mike J

Hunter
I agree with roylt. Guns are a very personal thing. Is there any way you can let her pick out what she might like? Maybe take her to a gun show with you & see what seems to strike her fancy. Gun show prices aren't always the best but it is a good place to get to look at a wide variety of firearms.

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
LC9? A medium sized pistol for medium sized hands.

Slide is reasonably easy to work, and it's a 9mm?

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Try to get to a well-stocked gun shop and handle an LC9. Depending on where you are/how much money you have, she could try a Kahr PM9 and also a Sig and also a Kel-Tec PF9 in that size range. There are differences in price and availability and also ergonomics. I have no experience with the Taurus guns, I haven't even seen one, sadly.

Since you're on a Ruger forum, I'd of course recommend the LC9 but really, the gun she's most comfortable with is the gun she will want to carry and all of the above are good choices. If the shop has an SR9c on hand to compare with also, that's a bonus. The more options the better, in my opinion. Tell her to take her time and pick the one she prefers.

If you can't do that because it's supposed to be a surprise present, go ahead and buy an LC9 and if she doesn't like it make sure you can take it back to the store no questions asked if it's not fired, just like a holiday gift.

Rockimook

Bearcat
Thanks for all yall's input. I understand that guns are personal so if it comes down to it I will just take her on her birthday to pick one out. I just checked out the LC9 a few mins ago and I like it. If I get her something as a surprise it will be something I want myself or it will be somewhere that let's me return or exchange it

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Just remember if it's too heavy, she won't carry it. If it's too light, she'll hate the recoil. Avoid the LCP. She'll never hit anything with it and will not like shooting.
You wouldn't pick out her bra; don't pick out her gun.
Sonnytoo

AlanJ65

Single-Sixer
I know I'm new here but before I decided on my P95 I took a long look at the Stoeger Cougar. Not sure if that fit your description of what you wanted though.

Casual

Bearcat
Let's get outside the box for a moment. How about a S&W 22A w/ 4" barrel? People will scream, but I still say a .22LR up close and personal is a good SD option. Light, low recoil, inexpensive to buy and shoot.

RonS

Single-Sixer
Sig P239 9mm

Kahr K9, T9

Just a couple I haven't seen mentioned.

RMFC

Bearcat
If she likes the sr9/9c but doesn't like racking the slide (It's not the most enjoyable thing for me either) my dads Smith and Wesson M&P 9 is a breeze to rack and has nice wavy serrations to help with the grip, not meat grinders like on the sr9.

Flash

Buckeye
rugnelli said:
Take her shopping and let her pick one out.

Yep get her flowers, a pretty card and hand make a voucher for one handgun of her choice and put it in the card. I've done this many times and it puts a personal touch on something that she picks out. You can make it in Microsoft Excel and print it.