Birdshead Short Barrel Ruger?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boge Quinn

Single-Sixer
How about one of these 32 Magna?

RUKSSMBH-4F-JW.JPG

1-JohnWayneSSforweb.jpg

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUKSSMBH-4F-JW&items=talo&filter=all

TALO Exclusive Ruger 32 Magnum "John Wayne" Single-Six, limited run of 1250. I have one on order. I love 32 Magna, Birdshead grip frames, and John Wayne.

Boge Quinn

Single-Sixer
Crazy Carl said:
How many of you guys who like Bisleys, also like the birdshead? I love the Bisley, but have never had a chance to shoot a gun with the birdshead grip.

I love 'em both, but not for the same applications. The Bisley is my favorite grip frame of all for high-recoil calibers (except maybe the Freedom Arms grip) - this is why it's commonly used for high-recoil custom conversions. The Birdshead handles great and feels great with lower-recoil loads (I'd say up to standard-level 44 Special & 45 Colt), but hurts like a sumbee with the heavy hitters.

YMMV

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Boge Quinn said:
Crazy Carl said:
How many of you guys who like Bisleys, also like the birdshead? I love the Bisley, but have never had a chance to shoot a gun with the birdshead grip.

I love 'em both, but not for the same applications. The Bisley is my favorite grip frame of all for high-recoil calibers (except maybe the Freedom Arms grip) - this is why it's commonly used for high-recoil custom conversions. The Birdshead handles great and feels great with lower-recoil loads (I'd say up to standard-level 44 Special & 45 Colt), but hurts like a sumbee with the heavy hitters.

YMMV

Agreed, my other favorite grip is the Bisley

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I wanted one too in .45 Colt with the 4 5/8th inch barrel in blued and finally had to buy the Vaquero and the BH grip frame separately and assemble them myself. Glad I did but now my wife wants it.

ScottZ

Single-Sixer
I realize this is a 2 year old thread, but I just found it and love the look. I already have the birdshead grips and a 4 5/8" barrel. How difficult is it to mount the Ruger front sight after shortening the barrel? I'm guessing it will probably require a new front sight.

Untitled by ScottZr, on Flickr

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It's silver soldered on so it comes off with heat. Once you cut the barrel, drill a new hole in the barrel for the pin you'll find under the sight and solder back on. Then pull and re-blue the barrel with sight attached.

Or cut the barrel with the sight on, grind off any piece of the sight still on the barrel if any (depending on how short you cut the barrel), buy a new Ruger front sight and sight screw 6x40 from the .22 and 32 single six, drill the hole for the sight pin, then drill another hole thru the sight into the barrel, thread the hole in the barrel, and screw in place. Touch up the muzzle with cold blue.

outlaw

Bearcat
I have the Birdshead in 45acp and find that the shape of the grips handles the recoil
well.
It is a blast to shoot and looks sexy.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
outlaw said:
I have the Birdshead in 45acp and find that the shape of the grips handles the recoil
well.
It is a blast to shoot and looks sexy.

That is what I want! I saw that there is a limited edition Talo version just like this. I would love to have one but don't have the money to buy one.

I wonder how much my .41 mag would sell for?

Greebe

MCPO

Bearcat
Mine started off as a Birds Head (45 ACP). The more I looked at it the more it looked like a 'Ladies Gun' so found a Plow Grip at Brownells and now she's a lil Sheriff Model look-a-like. The plan is to either strip the blue (Old West Look) or have the grip frame hot blued. Currently, I'm liking that 2 tone look :D

BirdsHead45ACP_zps79837d24.jpg

varminter22

Single-Sixer
I like short barreled SA revolvers too. Nothing over 4.625".

"Vaquerito" .32 H&R Mag. Shortened to 3.5". Great to carry and shoots very good!

More photos - before, during, after - here: http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/index.php/sfa-photos/j-l-rhodes/vaquerito-project

Terry T

Buckeye
I DO like short barreled Vaqueros! :D

"Original" Vaqueros on the left, New Vaqueros on the right.
On the left, top to bottom, 2 in .357, 2 in .45LC and 2 Birds Heads in .45LC
On the right, top to bottom .357, .44 spl. .45 LC, and .45 ACP (birds head).

Terry T

Latest posts