Best 9mm ammo for the woods, possible Sasquatch.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
What no serious suggestions for Bigfoot ammo?  Seriously one thing most folks seem to missing besides the actual question is the fact ALL handgun rounds pretty much suck. You can put +P or magnum after the number and you can jump up and down about how great one is or how much the other sucks but in the in they all suck as fight stoppers.

As mike mentioned we carry handguns because they are easy to conceal, lighter than rifles, and generally cheaper to buy/shoot. 

To those of you hung up on a magnum or 45 great for you. 1 shot stops are documented for any caliber. Pick one. You'll find a record to back it up as a death ray. Are bigger holes better? Yes. Are quick follow up shots better? Yes. Is it easier with a 9mm to follow up shots?  Yes. Is it easier to make hits with a 9mm for most average people?  Yes. Does that run up the total number of hits in the fatality? Yes. 

Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques, SECOND EDITION (Practical Aspects of Criminal & Forensic Investigations) 
by Vincent J.M. DiMaio M.D
Excellent read. He states in the book several things one being that in 40 plus years he was never able to tell if a wound was 32acp,38 spec,357 mag,9 mm, 40, 44mag, 45 acp or any combo till he cut them open or they recovered on scene spent rounds. He also writes that he had never seen a fatal wound that would have gone the other way if there was a change from FMJ to JHP or from JHP to FMJ in a handgun round. 

I've been around a long time in shooting sports and training activities and have several family members that are in law enforcement. I've heard the stories first hand from those involved. Let me share some briefly. 

-Years ago a female HP officer pulled a guy over for speeding. Walks up and is shot from about 1 foot with a 357mag through the heart. The BG's revolver skipped and jammed. The officer drew her own 357 and empty all 6 rounds onto the back window and roof. She hit BG 3 times. Small of the back, shoulder, and the kill shot through the spine above the shoulder. The officer survived. Wound had seared enough to keep here from bleeding out. 
-A woman was shot by a 44 mag after opening her front door to a stranger. He was a would be hitman hired by a miserable husband. The hardcast bullet struck her forehead splitting into 2 main pieces exiting off both sides of her head. It knocked her out and she awoke in a pool of blood and called 911. 
-PD Officers responded to a man attacking his wife. On scene they are attacked as they enter the house. Man was high on PCP. Two additional countys  arrived a moment later. The man recieved over 20 body shots of 357 mag inside 15 feet and more than 20 rounds of 45acp inside 25 feet. It was the 3rd 12 gauge slug that literally blew his brains out that stopped the fight. 
-A group of officers in a raid on a meth house met a man armed with a AR. He took over a 100 hits total to the body from 9mm, 40, and 45. 20 something of it was 5.56 from a 10 inch barrel AR.  His spine was severed below the ribs and he went down but kept fighting. It was the blast from a 12 gauge 00 buck to the back of the neck shoulder area that blew his spine out and stopped the fight. He was not high on drugs just really ready to fight to the death.
Think it's all about the 12 gauge?
-A ER doc I know told me over the years he has seen 2 12 gauge slug victims walk into his ER. 1 turned out to be a home invader shot by the homeowner. At about 15 feet he was shot in the left shoulder. It shattered his shoulder blade passed through broke his collar bone on the way out.  He ran and jumped out the window he had entered from.  The cops followed his blood trail to its end. He had got in his car and drove to the ER!  The other was a man shot while shooting at the cops. He was above them and a deputy fired up at him. All they new was he ran off into the dark. Well he walked into a local ER with a slug entering above the hip crossing his internals to the opposite shoulder where it stopped. 
1shot stops?
-A gang member was shot at nearly a 100 yards with a 22 to the eyesocket. It went in and scrambled his brains as it bounced around inside. 1 shot stop. Over 10 rounds were fired that is the only one that hit him. 
-A HRT unit entered a house with a angry x-employee holding his old boss at gun point. The shield man fired one shot of 9mm 124 grain. The BG went down before he could pull the trigger on target again. They thought at first he had fainted. Cuffed him only to find his wound to the throat had broke his spine open like a crab leg attacked by a hungry fat woman.  

See a pattern?  Spine or brain box. That's a fight stopper not caliber.  Rifles and shotguns have more power and more accuracy (due to more contact points regardless of barrel length). These folks who hunt bear or buffalo or whatever with magnum revolvers are stalking or waiting for their shot. Not reacting like what happens to bikers or hikers on a nature trail or the unlucky chump walking home after a car break down in a mtn or forest area. I had several co workers who hunted black bear with G22s loaded with 180 grain off the shelf wad cutter rounds. They had dogs to run the bears out and bear mace just in case. They told me it's better to have to much 40 than 6 rounds of any magnum. 

Vern I carry a 9mm everywhere. I prefer 40 but 9 is cheaper and I can carry more on me and in the pistol. When we hike I carry 115 grain 9mm ball loaded with American eagle or WWB.  I'm thinking deep penetration on the 175-275lb black bears that roam all the mtn areas around me that will get aggressive sometimes.  The spare mag on my belt is standard defensive stuff, 124 grain gold dot. 

I've never felt under gunned or overloaded. My firsthand info suggests 147 suck and tend to overpenetrate in hollow point form due to failure to expand due to low velocity, they do great in ball but 115 moves faster and penatrates deeper when comparing ball.   Research suggests also that hollow points don't really add much as far as instant stop. They increase the permanent wound cavity (blood loss) diameter as long as they expand correctly but should mainly be considered as a way to prevent overpentration, thus reducing liability of noncombatant injuries.  

I've spent a tremendous amount of time and money on my defensive skills. This is mind set and it matters more than caliber ever will. Practice, practice then practice some more. 

10 mm with a ported barrel would be ideal but 9 is what you have. Get off the X and put as many rounds as possible on target. 

If you made it this far thanks for reading, now get out there and practice with what you carry rather than worrying about what someone else carries into the woods. 

Eric

Mike J

Hunter
Egalloway wrote [qoute]See a pattern? Spine or brain box. That's a fight stopper not caliber.[/quote]

That's what I was trying to get at when I spoke of my experience with deer hunting. It seemed to be ignored though. It is also why I would not choose a 9mm for this as I don't believe it would penetrate deep enough to get to anything vital on a bear. That said any gun is better than no gun & bear spray would probably make more sense anyway in the situation the OP describes. When I go in the woods depending on where I am & what threats I think likely to be around I carry either my .357 or my .40. If I am hunting I am carrying a .30-06. The handgun is just for when I am hanging a stand or whatever & the rifle gets leaned against a tree so I can have my hands free. If I believe black bear or wild hogs to be in the area I carry the .357. If I had a .44 magnum I would probably carry that for such circumstances but the .357 is the strongest caliber I own.

resident

Single-Sixer
Egalloway said:
.... Is it easier to make hits with a 9mm for most average people?  Yes. Does that run up the total number of hits in the fatality? Yes. ...
What if you're NOT average? What if a larger caliber doesn't hinder or scare you when you pull the trigger?
Then that statement doesn't apply, does it...?

Egalloway said:
.......Vincent J.M. DiMaio M.D....He also writes that he had never seen a fatal wound that would have gone the other way if there was a change from FMJ to JHP or from JHP to FMJ in a handgun round. ...

Vincent needs to reconsider that silly statement. It's not the fatal wounds which were unsuccessful in producing a fatality. :roll:
Thebetter question is: How many non-fatal wounds would have been fatal if a more appropriate round had been used?

jeffegg2

Bearcat
resident said:
Egalloway said:
.... Is it easier to make hits with a 9mm for most average people?  Yes. Does that run up the total number of hits in the fatality? Yes. ...
What if you're NOT average? What if a larger caliber doesn't hinder or scare you when you pull the trigger?

Egalloway said:
.......Vincent J.M. DiMaio M.D....He also writes that he had never seen a fatal wound that would have gone the other way if there was a change from FMJ to JHP or from JHP to FMJ in a handgun round. ...

Vincent needs to reconsider that silly statement. It's not the fatal wounds which were unsuccessful in producing a fatality. :roll:
Thebetter question is: How many non-fatal wounds would have been fatal if a more appropriate round had been used?

It amazes me how after that brilliant reply that people will still go to any
extent to be right.

Yes, A 12 gage slug has more stopping power than a 22lr.
But both will stop you, and it MOSTLY has to do with shot placement.
I am reminded of a news article I read when I was a boy. The guy was
mugged in an alley, shot 5 times in the head with a 38 special.
He woke up the next morning and went to the hospital complaining of
a headache!! All 5 had missed anything vital.

There is a point also that there is a difference between stopping and
injuring. Stopped means just that. Stopped in their tracks, drop and done.
injured and they can keep coming. 44, shotgun slug, doesn't matter,
they can still fight if you have not hit that stop zone. They can still shoot at
you. Same with a bear, an injured bear is a terrible thing! even
bleeding out, after the blood stops entering the brain you have at least 90 seconds
that you can keep fighting. That is a long 90 seconds.

Brain (mostly the brain stem controls the vital functions), spinal column.
Hit those right and it is for sure stopped.

In our self defense part of the CPL instruction, he said two to the center
mass, and if he keeps coming, one to the head (minimum). Aim for the eye socket line, or nose/mouth.
Those spots are the easiest to penetrate, and are in front of the brain stem. On TV you see the forehead a lot,
but chances are the bullet will just bounce off there.

resident

Single-Sixer
A response in the discussion doesn't make someone "right"..or make them insist upon being right. It's called "discussion". :wink:

The guy shot in alley was just too hard-headed to die, I guess? (Sort of like guys that keep responding?) :lol:

Recent events in Phoenix and other examples exist to demonstrate exceptions to assumptions. However I doubt a .45 to the forehead will not penetrate to be a show-stopper. I stake my chances on it.

We all agree...the biggest/baddest/best-placed shots you can manage...and lots of them...and pray.

sixgun

Single-Sixer
Danger, Danger, Will Robinson. After reading this thread, I might go looking for a 9mm tomorrow. If you used a 45, no need for a double tap and one to the head.

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
resident said:
Egalloway said:

Yeah is does still apply. It's basic physics. The 9mm recoils less has less muzzle flip per shot. The 45 and 357 have much more and thus they climb more and recoil more. Increasing split time between shots, thus reducing number of shots on target in a given amount of time. Every action creates a equal but opposite reaction. Watch some competition shooters switch calibers, it is a good example. Beginner, average, super average, grand master, it doesn't matter what you call yourself, the forces must be dealt with, either by the shooters grip or say compensators or muzzle brakes.

Egalloway said:

Well if you know more than the father of modern terminal ballistics then more power to you. You should read the book before you call someone like him Silly. The answer to your question are in that quote. :roll: I'd also suggest seeking some professional training, it will correct your misconceptions of what handguns are capable of, although I can 't think of any that include bear or mtn lion in the defensive tactics.
FYI forehead shots with any caliber of handgun is a bad idea, rounds are more than likely to deflect off the brow, may knock them out if your lucky but won't put a hole in their head like in the movies. Better idea is aim for the T of the eyes and nose area, sometimes called the Sniper's T. Professionals are trained to aim for this not the forehead for that very reason. Easier to get a round into the brain box there than the forehead or back of the head.

sixgun said:
If you used a 45, no need for a double tap and one to the head.

Wow, is all I can say. Wow.:shock: Classic failure to stop drill or Mozambique for the gamers. The paper will go down hard. Do you also suggest squaring up on the target, feet shoulder length apart, both elbows locked, 60/40 grip, first catch the front sight, then the rear, then the target, now breath out and presssss the trigger? You've got all the time in the world. Wait no you don't your gonna be eaten or shot/stabbed/clubbed whatever if you stand and deliver. We call that the suicide drill...

Jeff thanks for the praise, you get it, to bad some others don't. Like I said before, all handgun rounds suck as fight stoppers, pick the one you like and run with it, just remember to practice with it and non of them are death rays. I was trying to be helpful and share decades of experience and training with some folks that seem to need some real insight rather than movie based conceptions or advice from the range/village idiot. It will always come down to mind set and tactics, not caliber. I'm out.

God bless us all to never use our firearms for more than punching paper or hunting. And zombies of course... that might be a good post, any takers?
Eric

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
Best thread ever. Lots of hyperbole and very entertaining. :D

I also live in WA and for the most part our black bears aren't that big, or armor plated. Ditto for the big cats. You are much more likely to face trouble with bipedal predators, and the chances of that are pretty damn small as well. During the past 25 years of hiking, hunting and fishing, I have seen just one cat, and it wanted to be elsewhere pronto. Bear encounters are more frequent, but they also tend to want to be elsewhere. If you have the extremely rare occurance of having to defend yourself against a cat or bear, you are much better armed with your compact 9mm and any high quality, powerful ammo than I am with the little jframe smith that I carry while jogging in the woods with my dog. I go jogging, frequently in the same woods that I go bear hunting during season, and have never felt threatened or undergunned. Of course, my 110lbs, four legged jogging partner is probably better bear deterent than my little .38.

You are definitely undergunned for bear hunting, but I gather that wasn't the point of your original post. My advice, for what its worth, is to carry whatever high quality, +p, hollowpointed ammo that you have on hand and don't worry about it.

I like .45's, I have more .45colts and acp's than any other caliber. But seriously folks, the differences between 9mm, .40, 10mm, and .45acp for use against people are little to none. .45's are not magical one shot stop pills. I don't currently own any 9mm's, but I didn't trade my 9mm beretta for a .45colt/acp accusport bisley because I was worried that the 9mm was an inadequate deffensive gun caliber. I just thought the bisley was a much cooler gun. :D Lots of knowledgeable gun folks chose high cap 9's over 7 rounds of .45 in duty size weapons.

ZVP

Bearcat
Penatration is the thing with large animals and I would go with the heavier, solid points. You now realize that a 9mm is not the optimal cartrige for Bears and to be truthfull it is marginal on a man. Yes you can kill someone with one but the percentage of one shot stops is lower with a 9mm than a .357 Magnum.
what you are concerned with is stopping a large animal attack and I guess a 9mm would deter the animal with repeted hits. Just try and hit a vital area and spray it good. Hopefully the animal will be injured enough to stop the attack.
You are really pushing the envelope with this medium caliber auto but if it is all you have, then it's worth a try to save your life...
Good luck

ZVP

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
resident said:
Recent events in Phoenix and other examples

You'd be referring to the mass shooting in Tucson? The lady politician took a direct 9mm shot to the head, it passed completely through and it appears she might have a complete recovery. It's still on the local news regularly. No mention if it was FMJ ammo but a reasonable assumption. Others died from less dramatic hits.

Speaks volumes about the uncertainty of terminal ballistics.

sixgun

Single-Sixer
Egalloway said:
sixgun said:
If you used a 45, no need for a double tap and one to the head.

Wow, is all I can say. Wow.:shock: Classic failure to stop drill or Mozambique for the gamers. The paper will go down hard. Do you also suggest squaring up on the target, feet shoulder length apart, both elbows locked, 60/40 grip, first catch the front sight, then the rear, then the target, now breath out and presssss the trigger? You've got all the time in the world. Wait no you don't your gonna be eaten or shot/stabbed/clubbed whatever if you stand and deliver. We call that the suicide drill...

Why should I double tap with a 45. Those bullets are over a buck apiece lol. One shot one stop. If for some reason he keeps closing then a second is in order. Don't think I would ever need the head shot. Some lawyer from his side would try to show murder doing a Mozambique using a 45...
Your safe with that 9mm, empty the whole clip if you need to, the jury will understand..

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
What caliber and type of ammo should I use on invading aliens from another galaxy? I am afraid that if they can produce a forcefield around them my .380 may be ineffective but will that same forcefield stop a .50 caliber sniper rifle shot? Just wondering what to do. lol :lol:

resident

Single-Sixer
Egalloway said:
resident said:
" It's not the fatal wounds which were unsuccessful in producing a fatality. :roll:
Thebetter question is: How many non-fatal wounds would have been fatal if a more appropriate round had been used?"

Well if you know more than the father of modern terminal ballistics then more power to you. You should read the book before you call someone like him Silly. The answer to your question are in that quote. ..Eric

You seem bent on name-calling rather than taking your own advice.
Reconsider, if you will, my statement and see if you can comprehend what I said...versus what you want to think I said.
I don't care who he's the father of ...his insightful comment that fatal shots are fatal is silly. No speculation is of interest regarding if a fatal shot would have been equally fatal if a different projectile had been used. The question is whether non-fatal wounds would have been fatal if a difference had been utilized...and what difference would that be? :roll:
A fmj or a hp thru the heart walls or descending aorta would be fatal regardless of the type of projectile. Doh. But would a thru-the-brain from back to front, exiting the forehead above the left eye be survivable if an expanding hp were used instead of a fmj? The prospect relegates Vincent's observation silly, regardless of it's out-of-context consideration. IMO

sixgun

Single-Sixer
Well guys I'm getting ready to get me a 9mm for BG's and bears. I'm undecided which on to get. The p95 probably is close in size to my p345. I wonder if it would fit in my p345 holsters ? The sr9 and sr9c. I like the sr9c with its features and extra full mag and it would be easier to carry. I think the sr9c would be a good choice.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Egalloway said:
What no serious suggestions for Bigfoot ammo?  Seriously one thing most folks seem to missing besides the actual question is the fact ALL handgun rounds pretty much suck. You can put +P or magnum after the number and you can jump up and down about how great one is or how much the other sucks but in the in they all suck as fight stoppers...........
Eric

Great post Eric, thank you.

One thing I've come to learn over time....no matter what we choose to believe in, there will ALWAYS be evidence somewhere, sometime, or from someone on this planet to prove it. :wink:
Does that make it true?? NO, it only makes it possible (which for the person it happened to is true LOL)

I think at this point we've reached a fork in the road and now need to ask ourselves....would I rather be carrying peanut butter, or a 9mm in the woods? :twisted:

sixgun

Single-Sixer
Verndog said:
I think at this point we've reached a fork in the road and now need to ask ourselves....would I rather be carrying peanut butter, or a 9mm in the woods? :twisted:

I recommend buying JIF, they haven't been subject to recalls lately.
Eat a lot of it myself :D

TRanger

Blackhawk
Probably, it won't be the least bit constructive to post this; but let's try to clear something up here. The .45 ACP, or any equivalent large-caliber cartridge, is decisively more effective than the 9mm Parabellum. This opinion is not based on an evaluation of muzzle energy figures or armchair theory; but on having shot living things with both. A full metal jacketed 9mm load will not reliably disable a woodchuck. With a high speed hollowpoint, it is considerably more effective; but won't equal the .45. I have never shot anything alive with the .45 auto that required a second shot. Those of you with doubts are free to go shoot a few live targets and make up your own mind. Making pronouncements based on muzzle energy is foolishness. I once trusted in energy tables too, until I learned better.

Regarding the original scenario: if one is hell-bent on using a 9mm to protect himself from an animal of the size described as being a Sasquatch, a heavy weight expanding bullet would be your best bet.

jslshooter

Bearcat
+1 on +P+ 9mm but do yourself a favor and try to carry nothing less than a 357 magnum in the woods,and that's still pushing your luck. I shot a black bear in Ontario last year with a 454 Casull...it took 3 rounds...all center mass...2 in the heart...last one inthe head. Tough mutha!

Boge

Single-Sixer
TRanger said:
...I have never shot anything alive with the .45 auto that required a second shot. Those of you with doubts are free to go shoot a few live targets and make up your own mind. Making pronouncements based on muzzle energy is foolishness. I once trusted in energy tables too, until I learned better...

I have a buddy who shot a pussycat broadside with a .45 ACP 230 gr. and the cat still lives. It laid up for a week and healed up.

9mm 115 gr. +p+, in either the Fed. BPLE or the Win. Ranger RA9 as formerly used by the Border Patrol & the IL State Police respectively, stops people dead in their tracks. One of the former head honchos of the ISP posts on a few sites and he has stated that he never once knew of the RA9 failing on human beings. I know another officer whose dept. used BPLE who stated only one perp had to be shot twice. Many officers were reluctant to switch over to .40 S&W with such an enviable track record on people at the Border Patrol.

They work & work well. You just have to know people who shoot people and not barnyard animals. :wink: