berger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

waffle

Bearcat
Hey guys I have used berger bullets in the past in my m77 mk II chambered in 220 swift and a while ago I loaded a batch that had pressure so high the bullet disintegrated at about 50 yds. I thiught I had messed up my powder scale and measure and decided to pull some bullets and check the powder. When I tried to pull the bergers out they were so tight I ruined most of the slugs I pulled. Also I could only pull half of them. The rest wouldn't budge with a collet puller. Onthe ones I did pull they had lots of brass on them . It looked like the case neck and bullet were fusing. Has this happened to any of you. I called berger and they were at a loss. It only happens with bergers. I loaded some hornadys and have had no problems. Moly coated bergers did good but they don't make them anymore. What are your thoughts on why this happens? I was using polish in my media but never had a problem till that one batch. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you

427mach1

Blackhawk
What kind of polish were you using? Did it contain ammonia? I believe ammonia can attack the brass and maybe this caused your problem??

waffle

Bearcat
It was polish meant for reloading that was ammonia free. Thats why I've been confused. Would too much polish be a problem.?

waffle

Bearcat
They were kept in a closet in the house. The first 50 were great then the second box is where I had problems. They were about ten months old but all loaded at the same time. How do I prevent that corrosion from happening? Just keep away from the polish?

Ethang

Blackhawk
I have loaded many Berger bullets in my 223 and 204. They are hands down the most accurate bullet in either rifle. I don't know what caused the problems your having. Might want to just toss them and start over.

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
Well, cast bullets won't take 220 swift velocities. I have had jacketed bullets fragment at 50-100 yards. I made my own bullets out of drill rod and finally held up. 100+ rounds later the barrel was junk. I tamed my 220 down to 3800 fps and got factory jacketed bullets to hold up. The Swift is a little finicky to load for. OK alot finicky. Jacketed bullets like solids from Barnes work well. JMHO. Hope this helps. BHK

Chief 101

Hunter
The Blackhawk Kid said:
Well, cast bullets won't take 220 swift velocities. I have had jacketed bullets fragment at 50-100 yards. I made my own bullets out of drill rod and finally held up. 100+ rounds later the barrel was junk. I tamed my 220 down to 3800 fps and got factory jacketed bullets to hold up. The Swift is a little finicky to load for. OK alot finicky. Jacketed bullets like solids from Barnes work well. JMHO. Hope this helps. BHK
why didn't you just use gravel, a lot less expensive than drill rod and you could get the barrel broken in much faster...

don44

Hunter
Chief 101 said:
The Blackhawk Kid said:
why didn't you just use gravel, a lot less expensive than drill rod and you could get the barrel broken in much faster...
:D :D

waffle

Bearcat
They were the most accurate round I have used. I had them loaded between 3700 and 3800 (hoping for a little more barrel life) but then this happened. Maybe I will just give them a shot again and only load 50 at a time. I did learn my particular rifle hate neck sized only cases. Went from 1/2 inch groups to 4 inch at 200 yds. Found some new brass and loaded it and it was right back where it was. If the bergers don't work the hornady 52 gr bthp match are right there with bergers and I haven't had any problems with them. I know I should just stick with what works but the bergers shot a little better. Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate it.

Latest posts