Votes: 25 19.2%
  • A: 2.5" Alaskan .44 mag

Votes: 105 80.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bucks Owin

Hunter
CraigC said:
I have yet to hear ANYONE post why they think a 250gr at 1200fps will do the same thing as a 340gr at 1200fps.

My reasoning is that either can penetrate a skull or break a neck. Any other kinda hits ain't gonna work fast enough to keep you from being chewed on a little...

Accuracy wins. Personally, I feel I can better place a hurried but accurate hit or two with a SA with a little sight radius. I'll bet on that more than 6 rds of 340 gr "around the edges"...

My whole point of starting this circus was to see how many feel likewise... :wink:

The shotguns, 454s, etc etc etc missed the point... :(

PS: I still doubt a 340 gr will make 1200 fps in 2.5" of barrel at SAAMI pressure...

CraigC

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin said:
My reasoning is that either can penetrate a skull or break a neck. Any other kinda hits ain't gonna work fast enough to keep you from being chewed on a little...
True but making a head shot on a charging bear is a fantasy. Like I already said in this thread, the only critter that should be stopped with a brain shot is the elephant. For all others, breaking a shoulder with enough penetration to reach the vitals (and hopefully a rear hip) is the smart bet.

Bucks Owin said:
Accuracy wins. Personally, I feel I can better place a hurried but accurate hit or two with a SA with a little sight radius. I'll bet on that more than 6 rds of 340 gr "around the edges"...
Like I said, this is a training issue. If folks can become proficient enough to make a fast hit with a .475 or .500, then surely you can do so with the lowly .44???

Bucks Owin said:
The shotguns, 454s, etc etc etc missed the point... :(
Some folks just can't stay on topic. I'm in a strain because you know how I feel about those silly shotgun slugs. ;)

Bucks Owin said:
PS: I still doubt a 340 gr will make 1200 fps in 2.5" of barrel at SAAMI pressure...
I don't know what the pressure is but those are chronograph numbers from an Alaskan. Same load clocks well over 1400fps from a 5.5" Redhawk. I imagine the pressure is rather high but either way, the SRH can take it.

LuckenbachTexas said:
All lies, crazy folk.
Quoted for posterity. You did make those posts, you were quoted, then you went back and edited your posts. It is you sir, who are the liar. This is why I like to quote posts. Because folks like to go back and edit all their posts so others can't see all the nonsense and lies they posted.

LSCG said:
yes you did!!

now you're saying Craig made up those posts????? congratulations on showing everybody that your a liar and not a single word from your mouth can be believed!
THANK YOU!!! :)

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Craig,

I just can't resist fella. :D The audacity that you think know better, what is a "fantasy", what folk "should" do, and "where they should shoot it", coupled with the wind you exhale trying to be right, is outstandingly hilarious.

I never posted those things, I mean that is what you wanted right, to overpower with your keyboard? :D

This thread is just another example that the internet is a quantum device for people in different planes of existence to communicate. :mrgreen:

I don't subscribe to your theory given the parameters of this topic.

LSCG

Buckeye
LuckenbachTexas said:
Craig,

I just can't resist fella. :D The audacity that you think know better, what is a "fantasy", what folk "should" do, and "where they should shoot it", coupled with the wind you exhale trying to be right, is outstandingly hilarious.

I never posted those things, I mean that is what you wanted right, to overpower with your keyboard? :D

This thread is just another example that the internet is a quantum device for people in different planes of existence to communicate. :mrgreen:

that's a flat out lie and you know it.

should we call a mod in to view your original posts before you edited them??? because no matter how many times you edit a post a Mod can still see the original copy. or do you want to do the honorable thing and come clean and admit you lied?

Frank V

Single-Sixer
LuckenbachTexas said:
Frank,

keep an (in date) pint or quart of non-refrigerated milk on hand to flush your eyes with in the event circumstances put spray in your eyes. It is also a good idea to stop breathing or breath out of your nose when you deploy the product. Its easier to snort the milk to neutralize your irritated nose than to get this into your lungs The spray works though, on humans and animals. The wind can be a concern but its better than being hurt.

I haven't heard that remidy before, even at the S/O no one mentioned milk.
I am really looking forward to that class this Sat. I may buy my very first can of Bear Spray. 8)
Going to Yellowstone each year, it'd be great to have available, however when a bear is spotted the traffic jam is horrendous. Frank is content to photograph from his vehicle & let the tourists pet Bears. :wink:

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Anybody who has been following this thread knows who is lying, that's a given. The fun thing is that twenty years from now somebody who isn't even born yet can stumble across this thread, look at the time stamp on the quoting posts and the time stamp of the last edit on other posts, and easily work out who was lying if they have even three brain cells to spare for the task.

The internet has brought us so many different ways to make eternal fools of ourselves and show our true character...or lack thereof... LOL

John

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin said:
Jimbo357mag said:
I doubt anyone carrying a Ruger Alaskan 44 mag for Bear protection would slip a bunch of 44 specials into it for extra security. :D

Huh?!? :roll:

I reckon you and your "low recoil 140 gr" 357 best stay outta bear country... :lol:
How can you not understand what I said?
The 44 special can't hold a candle to the 44 magnum whether you are in Bear country or not. :D

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Frank,

I'm sorry they didn't mention dairy products to you. The milk is only effective against capsicum type agents.

I never posted all that other stuff fellas, wats a timestamp, look again? :D

All I was trying to do is recoup my wasted keystrokes, because you guys are right as rain. Right you are Sirs, Right you are.

I don't subscribe to your theory given the parameters of this topic. :mrgreen:

Frank V said:
LuckenbachTexas said:
Frank,

keep an (in date) pint or quart of non-refrigerated milk on hand to flush your eyes with in the event circumstances put spray in your eyes. It is also a good idea to stop breathing or breath out of your nose when you deploy the product. Its easier to snort the milk to neutralize your irritated nose than to get this into your lungs The spray works though, on humans and animals. The wind can be a concern but its better than being hurt.

I am really looking forward to that class this Sat. I may buy my very first can of Bear Spray. 8)
Going to Yellowstone each year, it'd be great to have available, however when a bear is spotted the traffic jam is horrendous. Frank is content to photograph from his vehicle & let the tourists pet Bears. :wink:

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
The milk protein called casein acts as a natural detergent, breaking up the capsaicin. Dairy products also contain fat which can help to dissolve the capsaicin. To get the most benefit from dairy, go for an acidic product that contains fat. Sour cream or ice cream will help you more than skim milk.

I mean pour it in your hands and start blinking in it. Get the stuff up your nose and repeat.

I could tell you how to neutralize chemical mucus membrane agents but its still a few levels above Top Secret!

Craig, I don't subscribe to your theory given the parameters of this topic. :mrgreen:

LSCG

Buckeye
LuckenbachTexas said:
Frank,

I'm sorry they didn't mention dairy products to you. The milk is only effective against capsicum type agents.

I never posted all that other stuff fellas, wats a timestamp, look again? :D

All I was trying to do is recoup my wasted keystrokes, because you guys are right as rain. Right you are Sirs, Right you are.

I don't subscribe to your theory given the parameters of this topic. :mrgreen:

Frank V said:
LuckenbachTexas said:
Frank,

that's right, Dig that hole deeper and deeper. I live over in Johnson city, just a few miles from Luckenbach. perhaps i'll drive over when I have the time and you can show me the proof of what makes you such an expert in all things gun related..... :roll:

what a colossal waste of time you've been. congrats on getting yourself branded as a liar and a loser. :D

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
LSCG,

If I thought we wasn't friends, I don't think I could bear it. :wink:

I am whatever you say I am, right you are Sir.

LSCG

Buckeye
Frank V said:
That's what we used olio capsicum (sp)?

We all just called it OC.

if I were you I wouldn't listen to a single word Luckenbach is saying.

taking advice from him about safety in bear country is like asking directions from a blind man. you're just going to get a lot of misinformation.

LSCG

Buckeye
LuckenbachTexas said:
LSCG,

If I thought we wasn't friends, I don't think I could bear it. :wink:

I am whatever you say I am, right you are Sir.

i'm not going to waste any more time on you. as my Daddy used to say what have you done when you've bested a fool?

you've already done a terrific job of showing everybody that you're a liar and a nut job. :D