At what serial number point are SR9s "fixed"?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
Is there a serial number to be above when looking for an SR9 that has the improved trigger? How can I tell one that is post Ruger's improvements?

clint_lnl

Bearcat
from there web site

We will retrofit all affected SR9 pistols
(those with serial number 330-29999 or lower)

heres the site you can put in your Serial number and check to see if its part of the recall

http://www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/index.html

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I believe he is talking about the somewhat newer lighter trigger version. look for the 'D' shaped mag release, those should have the latest and greatest.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
'D' shaped mag release. Perfect. Thanks. Are the non 'D' shaped mag releases a circle shape or what?
Thanks,
Steve

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
SteveSatch said:
'D' shaped mag release. Perfect. Thanks. Are the non 'D' shaped mag releases a circle shape or what?
Thanks,
Steve

Round and they rotate when pushed, kind of silly actually because they are knurled. It's hard to push something that's knurled and rotates as you push on it.

22bond

Single-Sixer
Mine is round and they are really hard to use.

Is the trigger really better w/the newer ones?
If yes wouldn't/shouldn't Ruger replaces the older one for free?
Same thing for the D shaped mag release.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Cheesewhiz said:
SteveSatch said:
Thanks,
Steve

Round and they rotate when pushed, kind of silly actually because they are knurled. It's hard to push something that's knurled and rotates as you push on it.

It can rotate but it won't rotate, that's not the beef. The main problem at the beginning is that the round mag releases were too stiff, and some people found them uncomfortably difficult to actuate. On my SR9 1.1 with more than 2000 rounds I still cannot release the magazine with anything other than my thumb, index or middle finger - and those last two with face-contorting effort. The thumb works fine, no face contortions, with both hands. Smaller fingers don't work. It's stiff! It starts out that way and it stays that way, unlike the slide racking to some extent. I haven't measured it but I bet you have to hit it with 20 pounds+ to get the magazine out, maybe more. [Update: see below, I measured it.] If you have weak thumbs, don't buy a round mag. release SR9.

I actually like it now: I just push quickly on it with my thumb. I learned it was stiff the first day and adapted to it.

One thing is for sure: The 1.0 and 1.1 had a magazine release that is not going to be easily tripped by contact with a holster. They will probably wear through a holster before the holster contact ever causes a magazine to come loose accidentally. I have a pet theory that Ruger made the magazine release stiff in its initial form because 1) the round ambi. mag release is pretty wide, not the widest point of the gun but wide enough and 2) the pistol also has a magazine disconnect safety. Obviously they didn't want a holstered gun to accidentally release the magazine, rendering the gun inoperable when drawn. Since they were trying to sell to LEOs and all, which apparently didn't work (LEOs like their Glocks and SIGs and other pistols too much, Ruger just can't break in there), and cover a few too many bases, methinks. Can't please 'em all. In the fullness of time Ruger realized they weren't going to capture the LEO market with this pistol and they went to a D-shaped magazine release that requires less force to actuate. Hopefully it is also resistant to being accidentally tripped by a holster, because if it happens, you will be drawing a gun that will not fire even if you turn off the safety.

So you draw the gun and shut the safety off as part of your normal draw routine practice and discover the trigger doesn't fire the gun, and then you have a Bad Moment Indeed. And you might have to pick your magazine up off the floor instead of firing the crucially important first shot. This is why I understand people who don't like magazine disconnect safeties.

At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;) And just to pour more fuel on the fire, no doubt. ;) Not to scare anyone away from the SR9, even the 1.1. I still love mine, I got used to the stiff magazine release on Day One and have never looked back, no regrets.

[Update: I decided not to be lazy and actually measure the force required with a postage scale. My SR9 1.1 (Serial 330-6xxxx) with the round magazine release requires approx. 12 pounds of force on the button, either side, to release the magazine. So the 20+ number above is wrong, it's probably what I 'guesstimated' when I first got it and wondered why it was stiff.]

NixieTube

Blackhawk
SeanFloyd said:
As an owner of an SR9 with the circular mag release, that worries me.

As I say, I've never had mine rotate into nonfunctionality (in fact I don't think it has rotated at all) and the only thing I've ever had a question about is why it was so stiff out of the box? Mine is/was a pristine, unfired SR9 V1.1 when I bought it. The mag. release is still the "stiffest" part of the manual of arms. Right after I bought it and started practicing with it I realized I'd have to kind of "stab" it with my thumb to release the magazine - that's still true - and at this point 12lb of force seems like the most natural thing in the world, so it basically doesn't bug me.

I also think it's very resistant to being accidentally pushed while the gun is holstered. If I have to think about pushing it with some force, I know when I holster the gun it's very unlikely it will be accidentally tripped. Again, I've actually come to like it. The stiffness of the button is not a bug, it's actually a feature here for me in the People's Republic of Massachusetts. I don't want to disable the magazine disconnect safety for potential legal reasons. All the safety features of this gun have to stay factory for me to have confidence in my own future "Staying Out of Prison Existence" should I, God forbid, ever have to use it to stop someone.

But Galloway Precision is working on it and you can tailor this feature on the round magazine release SR9s to your liking. As long as you think about what you're doing and live in the Actual United States.

That's not a commercial endorsement per se, I owe nothing to Ruger, it's just a fact of adapting to the firearm. I figure all of them require you to do that to one extent or another. Where I live, when I bought it, I was glad Ruger had given me the option and I still am.

If you'd like to see just how hostile the Commonwealth is to good people, check this out:

Gun Collector Fights for Freedom After Having House Robbed, Going To Police

Imagine going to the police station to report that your house had been broken into, and some of your property stolen. You would expect a serious and concerned response, but you would not expect to be detained and interrogated for seven hours.

Don't let it happen where you live. If I seem a little, um, strident it's only because I want to warn people how bad it can really get, and we hear these stories all the time in the Commonwealth. Good people being raked over the coals for political purposes. Comm2A is having to ask people for donations to defend this man, who didn't do anything except have his house broken into and his guns stolen.

Don't ever, ever be complacent about your rights. Britain is the model and believe me, you'll be shooting airguns and collecting Officially Certified Disabled antique firearms if you are complacent. Just like the sad-sack blokes putting a brave face on with their pants down at British GunMart who have to visit Arizona on holiday in order to fire an actual handgun.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
NT, I was referring to the rotation that happens as the release cams when pushed, it is about 10 degrees or so. All of the older releases do that. I never found mine all that difficult, just thought it was silly to knurl something that rotates when pushed, even if it is a very slight rotation.