Anyone here made grips from ironwood?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
A friend of mine recently gave me a chunk of well seasoned ironwood. Seems like that deep red color would make a nice set of grips for one of my SA revolvers. Maybe a knife handle or two to go with it.

But I've never seen grips from this stuff, which makes me wonder why? It's hard as heck, and working with it is probably a pain, so maybe that's why?

I have some extra time on my hands due to health issues right now (that are almost resolved thanks to good doc's and treatment), and I hate sitting around doing nothing. I think I'm going to try it, just for fun.

If it works out, I'll post pic's of the project.

Daryl

AzRebel
That is some hard, dense, and heavy wood. I have some ducks and whales carved from ironwood (bought them that way). When I was hunting in Namibia 2 years ago there were quite a few ironwood trees along one of the dried up rivers.
Good luck and let us see some pics if you make them.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
Rumrunner,

I also have a few items made from ironwood. Quail, roadrunner, and such. It's definitely heavy, but I don't think it's too heavy for grips. They're relaitively thin, so shouldn't be too bad.

I'll break out the saws today and see what I'm getting myself into. My dremel tool is unfortunately in Colorado, and I think I'll need it. Might have to buy another; or, I may just do it with hand sanding. Need something to keep my hands and mind busy, anyway.

:D

Daryl

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
I have made a few sets of grips out of iron wood. What I found out it is easier to use a belt sander on it then trying to file it. The wood finished out very nicely but it does take more work then with a softer wood.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I would swear I've seen some ironwood grips on somebody's sixgun. It's harder than woodpecker lips but finishes beautifully.

contender

Ruger Guru
I too have some carved ironwood. I think it would make some beautiful stocks. And, by all means, use a small belt sander.

Gregger

Bearcat
AzRebel,

Slightly off topic but if you're thinking of a new Dremel type tool, look at these.
http://www.proxxon.com/us/html/38472.html
Got mine off amazon for about the same as a dremel and there's no comparison. I'm not associated with them in any way other than I own one.

REP1954

Blackhawk
I have a 1" belt sander but I dont use it much, I like to do it the rough way for some reason. When files become tough to use I take paint sticks and dowels along with double stick tape and different grits of sand pappers. It's amazing how much stock you can move like this and still have plenty of control. I have not worked with ironwood like this but I have worked ebony and it went very well.

stantheman86

Buckeye
Isn't Pau Ferro the same as Ironwood? It means something like "Iron Wood" in Spanish......

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
They don't call it ironwood for nothing. The first time I ever encountered it, was many years ago where my Dad worked, they had some flatbed trailers that hauled heavy equipment, and they had 1-3/4" thick ironwood decking on the trailers. He had a couple of short sections cut from it and I could not believe how hard it was.

If you have the tools and the patience to work with it, they should be some beautiful grips and will last a lifetime.

I have two Bark River Knives with handles made from desert ironwood burl. Just to give you an idea of how pretty it can clean up :

Big_Mtn_Sknr_Desert_Irnwd_Burl.jpg

Boone_Desert_Irwd_Brl_sized.jpg

Barbarosa99

Single-Sixer
About 30 years ago I purchased some iron wood grips for my S&W model 34, I needed to relieve the area for the hammer to acquire full cock.......very hard I needed to use a file, however no finish is required. They still look great after 30 years.

Barbarosa