Anyone bobbed an LCRx yet?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
The LCR was designed primarily as a CCW self defense firearm. It's not designed for long distance shooting. SA ability in a short revolver was achieved with the LCRx. That's for the folks who may take a longer shot & have the time to shoot SA.
Self defense is almost always a short distance thing. And if distance is the issue then the aggressor is far enough away for you to retreat or recover a different firearm. In other words, when you are being asked by a prosecutor in front of a jury, you had better had a good reason to be shooting long distance at anybody.

A carpenter has many tools to use to build a house. Including a few different hammers. One hammer is a framing hammer, and another a finishing hammer. A good carpenter will use the correct tools for the job. Yes, many can use a framing hammer for finish work, or visa-versa, but it's not the best choice. And by most, when using a framing hammer to do finish work, the results will show why a different hammer should have been used.
My point is, no single firearm can "do it all!"
I own an LCR, some SP-101's, Security-Six, S&W m-19 & 27's, 1911's, a derringer, an LCP, etc. All of these have been carried as CCW firearms. All of these are carried CCW, & I carry what I feel will fit my agenda for the day.
I do not think anybody replied positively to bobbing a LCRx hammer because nobody has done it, nor sees the need to do so.
Even in the second reply, the comment;
"That hammer seems like a snag waiting to happen, especially in pocket carry. You can't always hope to get your thumb onto the spur, and are lucky to get two fingers along the front strap. Well, at least in beginning the drawstroke. Yet, the SA capability is a nice thing to have in a revolver, especially for the unexpected distance-shot you may need to take. My Smiths are so modified."
Your wording makes it clear you haven't tried to use the LCRx in a pocket carry yet. Plus, a proper holster will cover the hammer spur until a proper draw is made. And, in an actual armed SD situation, you will not have time to think about cocking the hammer. (Just ask the many people who have been attacked & had to use a firearm.)

I do understand that for many years, many people have bobbed hammers on S&W revolvers. And also that S&W has offered a model with a side shroud to allow the top edge of the revolver's hammer to be SA cocked, and still offer a possible snagless draw. (They also offer a hammerless model like the LCR.) But, for truly snag free, and serious SD,,, learning to use the LCR in DA mode only is the best option.

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
contender said:
Your wording makes it clear you haven't tried to use the LCRx in a pocket carry yet.

I sure hope so. That is, in fact, the case. :wink:

s4s4u said:
That hammer seems like a snag waiting to happen, especially in pocket carry.

I have drawn my LCRx from every imaginable positon and the hammer has yet to be a problem. I'd rather be able to use it as designed myself ;-)

NOW, that right there is a great answer. He's told me that my supposition is incorrect, in his case. Now, I'm going to have to take my pocket holster along to the LGS and try, LOL. :lol:

contender said:

1- SA ability in a short revolver was achieved with the LCRx. That's for the folks who may take a longer shot & have the time to shoot SA...

2- ... you had better had a good reason to be shooting long distance at anybody.

3- Plus, a proper holster will cover the hammer spur until a proper draw is made.

4- .... in an actual armed SD situation, you will not have time to think about cocking the hammer.

5 -....learning to use the LCR in DA mode only is the best option.

1- One may just encounter such a chance. That's why the option is nice. Plus, when wringing out a new load, it's nicer for accuracy, and POA-POI testing.

2- Indeed, you had better have a good reason to be shooting, period.

3- That has nothing to due with the propensity of the hammer to snag when drawing.

4- Wonder how all them cowboys did it in the olden days? :shock:

5- Absolutely correct. :)

VictorLouis said:
4- Wonder how all them cowboys did it in the olden days? :shock:

From what I've read about shoot outs in the old west was that it was not like you see on TV and in the movies (facing each other and drawing from the holster). Most of the time both shooters already had their guns out and cocked and it was the first one that thought he could hit the other at whatever distance that pulled the trigger first.

I had commented about the S&W's that had the shroud and you could SA the revolver. Maybe it would come in handy when teaching someone new to small revolvers. Do one shot at a time, let them get use to the sight picture, grip, recoil, etc. Then transition to DA shooting. But, I do agree with the majority, you really want to practice, practice, practice what you would use in a SD event (where there may not be time to think but only to react).

And as said, if you take a long shot at a BG, say over 15-20 yards, a defense attorney will definitely ask why you took the shot when his client was far enough away that you could have run away. He is going to do everything he can to make you look like the aggressor and he will plant the seed of doubt in the juries mind. Remember the majority of the people on juries are those not smart enough to get out of jury duty :D (Although I feel jury duty is not something you should actively try to get out of, it was written into law for a reason. Me, I'd want the jury to be made up of my peers that had common sense, not necessarily book smart).