Alliant 2400 alternative-powder you like for 357 magnum jacketed ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldcrab

Bearcat
Hi friends.
Alliant 2400 is not very-available nowadays....
What alternate powder have you used that is similar in results and excellent in metering through a powder measure?

Thanks in advance for your advice, and Merry Christmas to you!!

Cholo

Staff member
Winchester 296 is an excellent magnum load powder. I suppose it would be pretty hard to find, too.

PS: 296 is available at Midway USA in 1,4 and 8# containers. I'm down to less than a pound and will add one to my filling up fast cart LOL

PS2: Hazmat charge is $22.99! 😲 I'll pass.

Enigma

Hunter
I just picked up a couple of pounds of AA #9 at Bass Pro to supplement the H110 that I already had on hand. Either one will work just fine in the .357.

Hi friends.
Alliant 2400 is not very-available nowadays....
What alternate powder have you used that is similar in results and excellent in metering through a powder measure?

Thanks in advance for your advice, and Merry Christmas to you!!

The burn rate chart I checked listed Hodgdon's Longshot just slightly faster than 2400. I have not used it yet (so I don't know how it meters), but Hodgdon's reloading data website shows some impressive .357 velocities with Longshot, depending on bullet weight, and it's been available in the stores where I live (WY). You might look for more info & see what you think.

(Looks like Hodgdon just changed the software for their reloading data site - I liked the old setup better!)

As always FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.
:)

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I still have a few pounds of 2400 but have found AA9 to be just as good. 14 grs of AA9 under 158 grain jhp or hard cast is a top- drawer load giving over 1300 fps in my 6" .357s. Work up to that load from at least a 10% reduction. One desirable characteristic of AA9 (and 2400) is that they still perform well with reduced loads, whereas 296/H110 prefer to run at or near max.

epags

Single-Sixer
No experience with Accurate #9. However I use H110, HP38, Accurate #7, IMR SR 4756 and TiteGroup based upon availability.
Bullseye is supposed to be OK with 357 Mag but who has any Bullseye?

contender

Ruger Guru
I got the impression from the OP, that he's wanting suggestions on a powder that is close to 2400, that he could substitute for what he has been using. Lots of powders can perform very well for lots of different applications.
But when you have a good load already, you want to get something that is very close to it.
2400 powder is a great one for big bore use. And as noted above, Longshot is close in terms of the burn rate. Since Longshot is easier to find, I would start there.

Snake45

Hawkeye
No experience with Accurate #9. However I use H110, HP38, Accurate #7, IMR SR 4756 and TiteGroup based upon availability.
Bullseye is supposed to be OK with 357 Mag but who has any Bullseye?
Is SR4756 still being made? I thought it was discontinued. I burned many, MANY pounds of 4756 in .45ACP before I discovered the wonders of WW231.

Latest posts