A new Mark I, Excited and then...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I purchased a 1958 manufactured MK I pistol that had been customized by Jim E. Clark and was so excited about acquiring it. The gun has a great history, here is a quick video (not of my pistol, but the inspiration for it?):

The video above is probably inaccurate, as I am unsure whether Bill Ruger actually built the pistol for Jim Clark as described.

Back to my pistol, I picked it up from my LGS (purchased on GB) on Friday and took it to the range yesterday to shoot it. The trigger is very light, and I found that it would shoot when I took off the safety during my very first magazine so I stopped shooting it and decided to do a more detailed cleaning.

I was able to duplicate the condition WITHOUT ammunition in the gun after I disassembled it and gave it very good cleaning, it was dirty! here is what I found;

Pull back on the slide to cock the pistol. engage the safety, then a slight pull on the trigger (to see if the safety would hold) would just slightly move the safety button, when I then disengage the safety, the hammer would fall with no trigger actuation at all.

I was also, unable to remove the hammer, etc. when I removed the hammer pivot pin which I found very interesting.

I am debating whether to call the dealer who I purchased it from or just try to resolve the issue myself.... I have attached two pictures as I have wanted one of these for a long time, I just think they are cool....

Is this a simple fix?

Attachments

• Clark Mk 1 -2.JPG
    Clark Mk 1 -2.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Clark Mk I - 1.JPG
    Clark Mk I - 1.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 97

Yaworski

Bearcat
Simple fix is to not use the safety.

Somewhere in the back of my aging brain is a memory of something related to this. I can't recall the details but I will at 3 AM.

black1970

Blackhawk
Guns are just like cars. People will tinker with stuff they no nothing about. Your gun has more than likely been "accurized" by a kitchen table gun smith that did not know his azz from deep center field. Seen it many times. The gun shop nor GB is at fault. The guy at fault is the one you see shaving in the mirror. Reminds me of an old adage-Let the buyer beware. And just like Bill Clinton-I feel your pain.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I have Volquartsen MKII parts in my MKIII 22/45 with an adjustable trigger pull weight of one pound 14 ounces.

I don't use the safety.

I would fix it myself but if not, call Clark.

I have Volquartsen MKII parts in my MKIII 22/45 with an adjustable trigger pull weight of one pound 14 ounces.

I don't use the safety.

I would fix it myself but if not, call Clark.
Thanks for the reply, how do you recommend that i fix it? I genuinely would like to know and fix it myself if possible, i have waiting years to find one, and hesitate to let it go back…

Johnnu2

Hunter
PLEASE, just call Clark and get it fixed before you hurt yourself or someone else..... If it's his work, and it's dangerous, he'll fix it for free "probably". If not, just pay for it .... you'll thank me someday.
YES, I do work on my own guns, BUT a man's gotta know his limitations..
IMHO of course,
J.

Last edited:
PLEASE, just call Clark and get it fixed before you hurt yourself or someone else..... If it's his work, and it's dangerous, he'll fix it for free "probably". If not, just pay for it .... you'll thank me someday.
YES, I do work on my own guns, BUT a man's gotta know his limitations..
IMHO of course,
J.
Johnnu2
I have confidence that i can fix it, however, I cannot find a replacement MK 1 safety in stock anywhere at the moment, the safety is worn to the point that it doesn't hold with minimal pressure on the trigger….I have spoken to Clark and they will fix it, they didn't offer to fix it for free, and I didn't ask them to, but getting it there and back will be expensive….I shot it the other day and I have enough experience shooting it to be sure there are no negligent discharges and to only put a round in the chamber when i am on the line to shoot, but I want to fix it so that when it goes to its next home, it will be safe for whoever decides to shoot it…

Appreciate your concern and your honesty….thank you.