77/22lr question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jessejmc1979

Bearcat
I really like my rugers and I'm now in the market for a 22lr bolt action. It will be for minor pest control at the farm, killing beer/pop cans, and some rabbit and squirrel hunting. I would really like to get a 77/22 but I have been looking around and the savage's with the accutrigger are half the price. I have heard tons of great things about the accutrigger but they are made in Canada. :cry: I also have a 77/44 so I think I would like the 77 22 for the practice on basically the exact same rifle that I use for deer hunting. Basically I am asking if the rugers are worth the extra money. Thanks for any info.

Snake45

Hawkeye
If you want the most accuracy for your dollar, get the Savage. You might also check out the various CZ 452 models. They seem to be uniformly accurate and are also a great value for the money.

If you're concerned about buying American, look for used examples of either.

The 77/22 is a fine and cool rifle. It has much more of a "real gun" feel than the other two, which might or might not be important to you. Sadly, the 77/22 doesn't have the reputation for accuracy that the other two do. SOME of them shoot quite well but there are also lots of horror stories about accuracy as well. It's not that the accuracy is bad, it's just often not what you're expecting when you lay out the 77/22 price. If you buy a 77/22, EXPECT it to shoot about as well as a box-stock 10/22 or maybe a bit better, and then if it turns out you get a good one, you could be very pleasantly surprised.

I love everything about my 77/22V except the fact that it won't shoot as well as my CZ, which cost about half as much. (Well, I'm not crazy about the plywood stock, either, but I can live with it.)

Oh, also, if you get a 77/22, expect to have to do a trigger job on it. A VQ or Timney drop-in sear gives it a great trigger for about $30. (In fairness, the CZs usually require a trigger job, too.)

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
I'm crazy about my 77/22, but then I'm not concerned about the last little bit of accuracy to be squeezed out a rifle...any rifle. I can kill squirrels with it as far away as I'm willing to shoot at them, which is accurate enough for me. I couldn't even tell you what size groups it shoots. I just sight it in and that's good enough for me.

But the rifle looks like a million bucks. Yea. It's worth a lot more than a Savage or Marlin. The CZ is a harder choice for me because they look good too, especially the full stock Manlincher ones, but in the end, the Ruger won out.

I also admit that the one I've got was made in 1984, and I got it used, so it was a lot less expensive than a new one. I don't know if I'd have paid retail for a new one or not.

jessejmc1979

Bearcat
I am the same way about the accuracy. I don't need to be able to shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I just want to be able to keep the foxes around the farm honest and shoot a squirrel or pop can. I think the thing I like the best about the 77 is that it is the same as my 77 44 so I am practicing with my deer rifle while shooting the 22!

contender

Ruger Guru
I own a 77/22 and a 77/17 and their accuracy for what I use them for,, (the same things you mentioned,) is excellent. Plus,, I used to use a buddy of mines 77/22 at a local turkey shoot. They only allowed open sights,, and mine was scoped. I used to win 2 out of 3 matches I'd shoot on a regular basis. Plenty accurate.

APEXDUCK

Single-Sixer
I've owned a 77/22 since the second year they were introduced. Solid shooter. Best kill I made was an off hand shot at 107 yards one a wood chuck. One shot one kill right behind the ear. Still had the clover he was eating in his mouth.

77/22's people do seem to dis , but I can say mine is just as accurate as anything else I own or have shot. When introduced they had the fastest lock time of any factory 22 on the market. Properly scoped and the good shooter behind the trigger, I'd put one up against most any sub $700 gun out there. Solid gun that looks and feels like a centerfire rifle.

I do also like CZ 452 's as well (I own 5 now: one scout, one American in 17HMR, one Varmint in 22lr, and two full stocks - 22lr, 22mag).

APEXDUCK

Rclark

Hunter
but I can say mine is just as accurate as anything else I own or have shot.
My 77/22 too. Lay the cross hairs on a gopher and it's a done deal out to 100 yards. I actually miss the open sights as at least then it was more of a challenge! When I first got it many years ago, I couldn't hit a thing with it the first time I took it out.... I had 'assumed' the previous owner had sighted in the scope! It was off to the left by a couple of inches at 25 yards! .... Opps ..... Also I enjoy the bolt action over semi-auto any day for varmiting. Nice solid, quality, easy to maintain rifle.

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
I like my all-weather boat paddle 77/22. It is far more accurate than I am--particularly after I dropped in an after-market sear. It was designed to be a solid rifle first and a .22 second. This is a rifle that your great grandchildren will still be shooting. Expensive? Yes! But it is good rifle and I do like Rugers!

If you like the 77/44, by all means get the 77/22.

chet15

Hawkeye
one thing you might want to consider is what the the value of either might be down the road, a comparison between how each is made, etc. etc. Does the savage have a Walnut stock or is it hardwood? Should all be factors in a decision.
Chet15