70 vs 80 series 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
What is the difference between the 70 and 80 series 1911? I understand that the SR1911 is a 70 series. What about the Remington R1A? Or the Springfield 1911-A1?

I'm currently on a waiting list (#7) for a SR1911 but there is a R1A and 1911-A1 availible now...............................

vh20

Bearcat
"Series 70" and "Series 80" are terms that technically only should apply to 1911s of Colt manufacture, but are often used (when applied to other brands of 1911s) to denote the presence or absence of a Firing Pin Safety (FPS). Series 80-style guns have a FPS which locks the firing pin in place and keeps it from accidentally striking the primer if the gun is dropped. The FPS is only deactivated if the trigger is actually pulled. Many people do not like the Series 80-type FPS because it adds complexity and may prevent the gun from firing if it malfunctions. Also it may affect the feel of the trigger pull. Series 70 Colts (like Browning's original design) did not have the FPS. The Ruger does not have a FPS, thus it is loosely referred to as a "Series 70" design, even though it technically isn't because it isn't a Colt (and it has a traditional barrel bushing whereas true Series 70 Colts introduced a collet-style bushing). The Ruger design uses a lightweight titanium firing pin (low inertial mass) and a stronger firing pin spring to prevent accidental discharge if the gun is dropped, rather than a FPS. The design that Ruger uses is sometimes called the Novak design. A third design is the Swartz FPS that Kimber uses on most models, which is deactivated when the grip safety is depressed. People often erroneously refer to these as "Series 80" also.

Historically speaking, the original 1911 design remained unchanged from 1911 to about 1970, when Colt introduced the collet barrel bushing on their full-sized 1911s (i.e. the Series 70 gun). It wasn't until 1983 that they introduced the FPS (i.e. the Series 80 gun). Around 1988 they realized the collet bushing was a mistake, and returned to a traditional-style bushing (a Series 80 gun without a collet bushing). The FPS has remained pretty much standard on Colt 1911s ever since, until the recent re-introduction of a specific Series 70 model (which has neither a FPS OR the collet bushing).

GKC

Blackhawk
Great explanation, vh20!

Remington 1911s utilize a FPS, unless I am mistaken. Springfield 1911s don't.

If I were you, I'd wait and get the SR1911...you should always be able to get a R1 or a Springer, but the SR1911s are pretty hard to find.

DGW1949

Hunter
The Series-70 was when Colt introduced their new-fangled "fingered" barrel bushing for all of their 5" models. As I recall, the 5" guns went back to having checkered walnut grip panels instead of the plastic or "Coltwood" fake-wood grips that Colt had been using lately. It was also the last of the 1911-type Colts that didn't have a firing pin safety and/or plastic triggers and/or mainspring housings.
If any the Series-70 Colts were ever marketed with beaver-tails, extended safeties, beveled magwells, oversized sights or came with an 8-rd mag, I don't remember it. But Colt did have a rather active custom shop back then, so I guess that such things could have been possable to have added.

Bottom line is;
While Ruger's SR1911 may be a good gun in it's own right, the fact that it lacks a firing pin safety does not make it a Series-70 anything.

DGW

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
GKC said:
Great explanation, vh20!

Remington 1911s utilize a FPS, unless I am mistaken. Springfield 1911s don't.

If I were you, I'd wait and get the SR1911...you should always be able to get a R1 or a Springer, but the SR1911s are pretty hard to find.

It is #1 on my list, but I don't know if I'm going to waite 6months to a Year. I've been on that waiting list for 7months already..........................

DGW1949

Hunter
Chief_10Beers said:
Thanks for straightening me out! :D I don't feel so stooopid now :lol: .......................

FWIW, I've seen you around here for a long time.
If there's anything "stooopid" about you, I aint seen it. :wink: .

DGW

GKC

Blackhawk
Chief_10Beers said:
It is #1 on my list, but I don't know if I'm going to waite 6months to a Year. I've been on that waiting list for 7months already..........................

Oh...well, I don't blame you then. I thought it was a matter of weeks or so. That being the case, buy either or both the R1 and the Springfield now, enjoy them, and then when the SR1911 becomes available, you could sell/trade one or both, or just buy the SR1911 outright. There isn't anything wrong with having several 1911s!

If you can only buy one now, I'd go with the Springfield.