45lc and 357 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I'm getting ready to buy a vaquero bisley. I have read until I'm blue in the face.I just read a few articles most by the same guy.I really thought I wanted a 45 lc but some of you kinda persuaded me. on 357. Well the cost of 45 ammo doesn't bother me that much.My concerns are safe pressures for my gun,,accuracy,,and don't know why since I don't hunt is its effectiveness on deer size game. I like big bore hand guns and I have a 44 mag SBH and a 357 although it's just a sp101 4 in. So persuade me on a 45 lc.

Living in Indiana you are in a different position than I am in Alaska. I pretty much carry either 44 mag or 45 Colt. I like the 45 Colt (your topic) because you can use a " cowboy" load, which will handle a deer. I tend to carry the hotter load(wild) because of what I may come across. A 357 will handle a deer but at a shorter distance. You don't have to use the hottest load in 45 Colt but with a reasonable load 270 grain at 950 fps will certainly give you an edge. I like having an edge whether the weight of the bullet or the velocity. A big bullet that gives you a pass through is an edge.
Another thing I like about the 45 Colt is with the bigger case a similar load to a 44 will give you a lower pressure.

I like a 357 Mag but I prefer having an edge in case something doesn't go just right, the distance is farther than you think, it's a bigger deer, you don't get a pass through, etc.

Something I should have brought up, is there was a large frame Vaquero and a "New Model Vaquero"
The new model is a smaller frame than the original.
The original has a 2 digit prefix on it. The new model actually says new model which has a 3 digit prefix. The new model won't handle "Ruger only" loads. It's important to be clear what your use will be, before you buy.

I think Bear Paw means "New Vaquero" to distinguish from the (original, large frame, larger cylinder) "Vaquero" that was discontinued around 2005.

I would say that if you handload, then get a 45 Colt. If you don't, just keep your handgun cartridges more distilled and stick with a 357 / 44Mag collection.

I own and have loaded for the 45 Colt after getting the big bore itch many years ago, and in my experience, I never enjoyed the level of accuracy from the 45 Colt (whether high or low pressure, jacketed or cast, light or heavy, or even cast fitted to my cylinder throats, etc) compared to the level of accuracy I got from my 44Mag / 44Spl. As a result, over the years, my 45Colt collection dropped off and the 44Mag and 357Mag grew. I have only a few 45Colts left now that are really accurate but many more 44/357. At short distances (10-20yds) and since one's precision expectations can be very subjective, you'll probably be okay. My advice would be to not compare it to your Super Redhawk 44Mag or a 357 from any revolver. But if you wanted to hunt large game at short distances (or for protection), then I'd go with a Ruger-only recipe and 45Colt with hard cast every time in a suitable revolver such as the original Vaquero. BTW, the big bore itch only starts with the 45Colt! There's also the 500 Wyoming Express, 500 Linebaugh, and the 475/480,… not to mention the 454, 460, and 500S&W. If you already have a solid 44Mag and you wanted to step into big bore, I'd look at the Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley stainless in either 454 or 480 and then start handloading so you can download them for fun. If you're tall, get some thicker wooden grips for the Bisley to keep the back of the trigger guard from busting your knuckle, or as John Linebaugh told me, learn to rotate the grip frame in your hand to turn the knuckle away from the back of the trigger guard. (I preferred to get thicker, hand-filling custom grips.).

Edited for typos

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I don't carry, and I don't hunt anymore; I prefer 45Colt because it looks cool and is cool...and that's what the TV cowboys used (I think).
p.s. As far as accuracy goes, I've been VERY lucky; I handload a nice light load with a 200gr lead semi-wadcutter from Missouri Bullet and I can hit small plates at 50 yds with very OLD eyes. At 25 yds., I actually won a couple of contests at my range against some pretty good shooters. Oh, if you want to get crazy, (I do not recommend this) I've loaded 250 gr. jacketed that chronographed 1300 fps in my old Ruger 3-screw. I was very young and extra stupid; but the gun held up with no problem after many loads!!! Still have that gun.
J.

Rclark

Hunter
With .44Mag/.44 Spec and .357Mag/.38 Spec you have your bases covered.... But the problem is they are 'modern' cartridges. To me all it brings to mind is city streets and big cities instead of camping out on the o' prairie. Or bacon frying over a campfire, or cattle bawling in the distance, or in the Army Calvary .... Nothing like a nice .45 Colt revolver hanging off your belt with some extra fat cartridges in the belt when taking a walk in the woods. No sir.... Has been on the job since 1873 and still going strong. Not going to feel outgunned with an SAA or Ruger BH/Vaquero/New Vaquero.

Also .452 will always be the big brother to the .429. The .44 can 'whine' as much as it likes, but... still the little brother :) . It can handle anything the .44 can do in the right revolvers when necessary, yet even at SAAMI velocities it will knock down what you want to knock down without punishing your wrist. You can't go wrong the .45 Colt. No, Sir.

John Linebaugh - Dissolving the Myth

Everyone should have the following book on the .45: John Taffin Book of the .45

Brian Pearce is another reference on-line and articles. He is the one that came up with the Tier 1 (SAAMI) , Tier 2 (23K psi), Tier 3 (30K) loads for the .45 Colt.

Max Prasac .45 Colt

I always use standard weight bullets in mine and always lead. None of my .45s has ever seen jacketed bullets. Either 250gr RNFP or 255gr SWC.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
A 357 mag will do everything you mentioned with no fuss and at a flatter trajectory than 45 colt. I load some smoking hot 45 colt rounds for my leverguns that surpass 44 mag in every way but they are not handgun safe except in a 454 casull so with a 357 mag, I get better sectional density, a flatter trajectory and inside 125 yards, exceptional hunting performance.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
I have lots of 45s and lots of 357s. But I don't have any single action 357s only double actions . :oops:
Weird and for sure just a personal prejudice but I just don't think of 357 as a single action cartridge. :eek:
Even weirder, I do have a single action Uberti P JR. in 38 spl. that I love ,,,,,,,, but that is more of a size thing. :unsure:

Don Lovel

Hunter
5.5" Bisley Vaquero in 45 Colt shooting 255gr Keith bullets at 1000 fps is awesome. Best balanced Ruger single action.
Loading a +P 325gr WFN hard cast it will stop any critter in North America.
IMG_6011.jpeg

buckshot

Single-Sixer
I say get the 45 Colt and don't look back! I have both Vaqueros and New Vaqueros in 45 Colt. A 45 Colt Vaguero is hands down my favorite pistol to shoot. A 45 Colt Blackhawk is a close second. I have a 357 and I don't find it nearly as much fun to shoot. If I'm going to shoot 38 spl or 357 mag I prefer a double action K-frame or GP100. The 45 Colt has a much more pleasant recoil impulse and muzzle blast. If you are a hand loader you can load a 45 Colt mild to wild. I have some 45 loads that surpass 44 mag and yet I have some cowboy loads that you can shoot all day long. It's just such a versatile caliber. I personally find that hot 45 Colts more pleasant to shoot than 44 mag, but that could just be me. I also have a convertible with the ability to shoot 45 ACP, so that keeps the ammo cost down for plinking if you're buying off the shelf ammo. My vote is 100% for the 45 over the 357! You can get a 357 too, just after the 45 Colt.

Buckshot reminds us about the 45ACP in the revolver. Surprisingly, my 45ACP is very accurate and I enjoy them in a Vaquero birdshead and another in a Blackhawk Bisley, and bulk ammo is cheap and fun and not wrist-snapping. In other words, assuming you don't hunt or desire to shoot a lot of Ruger-only loads, standard pressure 45Colts and 45ACP are, IMO, equally enjoyable shooting. The nice thing about the 45ACP is that you can also take your favorite semi-auto to the range at the same time. Here are a couple of my 45ACPs, and aside from the flier, POI matched POA and was great…

Here's a 45Colt John Linebaugh did for me, and I later picked up a 45ACP cylinder for it:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Weeeeellllll: I have a Python in 357. I have an OM Blackhawk and "NM" Vaquero in 45 Colt. Regardless of what many armchair experts discuss (read "argue"), I still reach for the OM and 300 gr loads when going out in grizzly country. The Vaquero is more for fun and the Python for woods walking in black bear country. But for the biggest and baddest, I still reach for the OM Blackhawk (also have a couple of SBH and a 41 Mag OM Blackhawk for my wife)

Another vote for the .45 Colt/ACP. Large frame Blackhawk for the hot Colt loads, medium frame flattop for the milder stuff. Both are accurate with the ACP.

View attachment 36614

And one more vote for the .45 Colt/.45acp - nothing like a Ruger "convertible" single action, and the bigger the holes in the cylinder the better! You already have a quality .357, and can always get another one later.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)

Latest posts