.44 special shooting high

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
Here's my old post --- I had the same problem with a Stainless Flattop in 44 Special. Pinned front sight.

Scroll down to the LARRY FROM BEND post (maybe # 5 or 6).

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145701

DPris

Buckeye
Not necessarily to start up the shooting again, but my experience is that the traditional definition of "center hold" is placing the sights in the center of the target.
Not placing bullet holes in the center of the target.

That's with the top of the front blade or post in the center of the target.
That's regardless & totally independent of where the bullet strikes.

The top of the front sight is in the middle of the black bull, the aiming point is in the middle of the black bull.
That has nothing to do with where the bullet actually strikes, which can be anywhere, including in the center of the bull at the aiming point, or someplace above, below, or to the side of the aiming point.

"Center hold" is a term relative to & based on ONLY the sight picture.
"Center hold" has nothing whatever to do with bullet impact location.

The traditional meaning of "6 o'clock hold" is also based entirely, exclusively, and solely on positioning the black bull (or dot) on top of the front sight.
Has no relationship to where the bullet actually strikes.

Center hold: Top of front sight positioned in center of black bull.
6 o'clock hold: Top of front sight right at lower edge of black bull.

Either hold can result in a bullet impact striking dead center in the black bull, if that's where you regulate your elevation adjustment to put it, but where the bullet hole is does not determine the terminology or description of your sight picture's "hold".

There is zero correlation between the two: point of aim and point of impact; in describing which method of "hold" you're using.

Denis

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
I think most reasonable shooters would assume that you want the bullet to hit the center of the target regardless of whether you use a 6 O'Clock or dead center sight picture.

With animal targets, I want my POA and POI to be the same. In other words; a dead center hold. This wasn't possible with my Flattop (and that's what I THOUGHT this thread was about) so my above post explains how I accomplished that with my Flattop. Easy with a pinned front sight.

When I shot targets with a Model 41, I regulated my sights to hit the center of the bull with a 6 O"Clock hold on the bull because I could not see my black sights against the black bull well enough.

DPris

Buckeye
My 2009 Flattop hits slightly high at 25 (back on the subject you THOUGHT this thread was about) with rear sight bottomed out, using my 1050 FPS 250-grain Keith handload.

I just consider that gun to be sighted in a little farther out & aim accordingly. :)

I actually regulate several to hit an inch or two high above POA at 25 yards.
Denis

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
If I understand correctly , if i use a 6:00 hold while hunting I will HAVE to aim 3" lower than I want my bullet to strike? I guess I could pin a bulls eye on the deer with the X ring over the kill zone, back up and shoot using the 6":00 hold ?

Actually, I agree with and do the same as CraigC does. I prefer to have white /straw colored paper behind the sights and not black (bulls eye)because it is easier to see just how my sights are aligned. I also adjust the point of impact to be right on top of the front sight.

Chuck 100 yd said:
If I understand correctly , if i use a 6:00 hold while hunting I will HAVE to aim 3" lower than I want my bullet to strike? I guess I could pin a bulls eye on the deer with the X ring over the kill zone, back up and shoot using the 6":00 hold ?

Only if you sighted your firearm in using a 6" bullseye. IMHO, a handgun hunter should be INTIMATELY familiar with his revolver to the point that he knows where the bullet is going to strike at any reasonable range.

Chuck 100 yd said:
Actually, I agree with and do the same as CraigC does. I prefer to have white /straw colored paper behind the sights and not black (bulls eye)because it is easier to see just how my sights are aligned. I also adjust the point of impact to be right on top of the front sight.

I personally prefer a center hold. Even when I was shooting competitive High Power and tried doing so with an AR15 (YUCK!!), I tried a 6:00 hold and just couldn't do it. For some reason a center hold just didn't work for me.