4" Redhawk 44 magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

exlogger

Single-Sixer
Not sure about the others, but the 5.5" does a thorough job on Whitetail.

I purchased this one brand new in 1996 for $380. I still use it for hiking and hunting. My favorite hunting load is a 300gr. XTP and for hiking in Grizzly country... a 320 Corbon.

RedWin2_zps2b2779f8.jpg

Beruisis said:
I have a chance to pick one of these up. Anyone here shooting one?
I'd like some feedback. I'm thinking good medicine for east Tx hogs.
Thanks.
Beruisis

I have a Stainless 4", and it's my favorite gun, bar none. I wore out the spur and pawl after about 15K rounds of heavy loads and several thousand dry fires. Sent it into Ruger, and they replaced the trigger, pawl, spur and barrel (forcing cone erosion - and I didn't even tell them about, they did it proactively), and then refinished the satin finish on the frame and cylinder to match the new barrel, all at no charge.

Great gun, great company.

5of7

Hunter
I have a 4.2" in .45 Long Colt and I find it to be quite easy to manage with heavier loads in that caliber. I am shooting a 275 gr. bullet at 1200 fps and the weight of the gun tames the recoil quite well.

I do have 3 of the 5-1/2" Redhawks, 2 in .44 Mg. and one in .41 Mg. The 4.2" gun is not that much easier to carry and I really don't see a Hell of a lot of difference in recoil when the power level is the same.....perhaps a little less muzzle flip is all. 8)

hittman

Staff member
The 5.5 and 7.5 inchers are still on Rugers web site.
http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/models.html

Here's my 5.5 incher but in .41 Mag. Regardless of barrel length, I believe they're great wheel guns!

Latest posts