357 maximum deer loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
I have a special hunt coming up in Iowa and am looking for a little input.

357 maxi in a 10" T/C.

Looking for a deer load. I have 158, 170, and 180 JHP's.

I am a bowhunter so getting close is normal for me. I have gun hunted once in my life and took a 10 point with the same 10" T/C and factory R-P 180's at 85 yards.

I have a desire to use the old Sierra 170JHC, but am open to all suggestions.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
At bowhunter ranges, any of them will work on anything up to moose -- although in that case I'd opt for the heavier end of the spectrum for maximum penetration. And a softpoint or a hardcast semi-wadcutter would work as well, if not better, as a JHP.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a few T/C barrels in .357 Max,, as well as a few Rugers. Very familiar with them. I cast a most of my own bullets.
But I've pretty much stopped casting any other bullets for my Maxi's,, EXCEPT one. I have a "Bradshaw/Martin 194 grn" cast bullet mold that has taken over almost all of the duties I may require from a Maxi.
David Bradshaw helped Ruger develop the .357 Maxi. He owns & shoots serial #16 a lot. Well, he & Lee Martin developed a bullet just for the Maxi. David is well known for his IHMSA days & wins. Long range accuracy is his desires.
The bullet he designed,, casts out at about 194 grns,, uses a gas check, and is mostly been powder coated by those of us using them. David did a LOT of experimenting prior to letting us all know about it. He uses the "deep seating" method of loading them, where the roll crimp is just over the front driving band. And he uses IMR 4227 powder.
My testing along with others is easily seeing 3"-4" groups at 100 yds with open sights (in the right hands.)
Dick Thompson (aka; sixshot) took a mule deer last season with one. If I recall correctly,, it was out about 85 or so yds away. It worked quite well.
It would be my preference for deer hunting w/o any thought. In fact,, I'm going to try & get one with it myself this season.

s4s4u

Hunter
I have always loaded the 180 Hornady in the Max, but that 170 should do just as well. The 158 will shoot flatter, but with the Max I always had a heavy for caliber mindset.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
I use Lil Gun in the 357max with the 158s and 180s XTPs and SJHPs. It has taken deer out to 100 yards but I have not tried farther than that

contender

Ruger Guru
"but with the Max I always had a heavy for caliber mindset.'

EXCELLENT attitude. The Maxi was designed around a heavier bullet.

Latest posts