327 Fed ammo shortage....AGAIN

Help Support Ruger Forum:

princeout

Blackhawk
No problem buying from FA without owning an FA revolver. All the lady on the phone asked for was an address and a credit card number.
Tim

princeout

Blackhawk
2Dogs,
How long is your cast bullet from the crimp grove to the tip? I'm looking for something to use in a Bowen .327 Single Six that won't require me to trim the 1.2" case too much.
Thanks,
Tim

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
Well... Buffalo Bore says they are coming with 2 or 3 loads for it in 2011. I'm still holding my breath waiting on the other factory folks to come out with loads.

imho, Aside from regulating and maintaining proficiency with your chosen defense load, shooting the premium defense ammo is way too expensive. I already shudder at the thought of paying $22 - $25 a box of 50 American Eagle when my friends with their 9mm semi-autos are paying $11 - $15 for a box of 50 practice ammo. Or even less when they buy in bulk.

I concur with Cordite. The Cabelas in Hoffman Estates, IL has at least a dozen boxes of American Eagle 100gr., Federal 85gr. and Speer 115gr. each. However, their website lists all three as Out of Stock.

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
black1970":2r4w583z said:
Fired my SP-101 yesterday in .327. Shot American Eagle and a few of the Federal Personal Defense. The AE is pretty hot. Quite a bit of recoil. The Personal Defense did not recoil as much. IMHO The AE is more of a defensive round than the defensive rounds are. Gun shot to the right about 7 inches at 15 yards. Moved the rear sight all the way to the left but it only changed point of impact about 2 inches. Guess I will live with it. Does anyone have any thoughts on zeroing my SP. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried the Speer 115gr. Gold Dot HPs? From my GP100, felt recoil is virtually identical to the 100gr. AEs. Haven't tried the 85gr. Federals but I'd imagine they would feel soft from a GP100...

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Yet another reason for sticking with tried and true calibers. When the going gets tough, the non-standard ones are the first to run out, and the last to get replenished. A lot more people will buy the .45 ACP, 9mm, .38 Special, etc, so as a manufacturer I'll spend my time churning that out, rather than .327 for the 3,000 people in the US that own guns in that caliber.

-- Sam

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
Just picked up 2 boxes of AE 100 grain stuff for $25/each + tax. They had a BUNCH of it, and NO limit as to how many you could take. This was at Scheel's in Iowa.
As far as brass is concerned, I bought 200 primed cases from FA a number of months ago. I have NO gun of theirs and don't need one to buy it. MidSouth shooters supply, (or similar, not sure of the name), also has it from time to time. Both of them can't be sure to have it as it does get purchased quickly by reloaders. So I would imagine there are a few more than "3,000" guns out there in that caliber..... (I did have to wait a couple of months to get mine from FA, but it did finally come in, and was shipped to me.)

P.S. When I buy 2 boxes for $50, that also gives me 100 cases to reload. Since the cases sell for around $20/100, that means that it really costs me only about $30 for the loaded ammo I bought, or $15/box of 50. Not much you can shoot for less than that, except 9mm. Of course this only applies IF you reload, so . . . . reload!

P.P.S. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/d ... 0%4D%41%47

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
princeout":15637noc said:
Needsmostuff,
Check with Freedom Arms. They generally carry primed brass for sale. Just give them a call and ask - it's not listed on their website.
Tim

Thanks for the tip Tim.
I called FA today and they are currently selling only with new guns but She took my phone # and said she would call when they receive a new shipment. Hmmmm, think positive I guess.
While I was on the rant I slapped out some scorching emails to Federal and Starline for being so behind the curve.
O well I guess it's off my chest for a little while and I'll go back to my dry fire at the tv new gun break in .

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
D'oh.

I inadvertently grabbed 2 boxes of the 85gr. American Eagle SP's from Cabela's instead of 100gr. Was in a hurry and didn't check until I got home and looked at the receipt.

This load is said to be the lower cost practice version of the Federal 85gr. JHP. Oh well. I'm sure my next range outing will still be enjoyable as I still have a box of 100gr. AE SP.

This now makes the number of factory loads available for the 327 exactly... 4. :D

85gr. American Eagle SP (50/box)
100gr. American Eagle SP (50/box)
85gr. Federal Premium Defense JHP (20/box)
115gr. Speer Gold Dot JHP (20/box)

I'm collecting up a rather sizeable pile of .327 brass. Anyone want it? I don't reload currently. Just Paypal me the shipping cost on scouts honor or something.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Tam 212 said:
I'm collecting up a rather sizeable pile of .327 brass. Anyone want it? I don't reload currently. Just Paypal me the shipping cost on scouts honor or something.

O MY! ,P.M. coming at ya.

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
First, I must apologize to the original poster for the thread jack.

Hmmm... Seems like a few closet .327 Federal Magnum shooters out there? :)

I currently have 3 PMs from 3 different forum members. I have already responded to the first PM. I will send my remaining inventory via PM by ascending date order.

needsmostuff, you are 2nd in my queue. You'll get my list first and then I will send what's left from that to the 3rd person in my queue.

I doubt I will have anything left after this but have no fear, I shoot about 50 - 100 rnds per week on average, give or take.

nn

Single-Sixer
black1970 said:
Fired my SP-101 yesterday in .327. Shot American Eagle and a few of the Federal Personal Defense. The AE is pretty hot. Quite a bit of recoil. The Personal Defense did not recoil as much. IMHO The AE is more of a defensive round than the defensive rounds are. Gun shot to the right about 7 inches at 15 yards. Moved the rear sight all the way to the left but it only changed point of impact about 2 inches. Guess I will live with it. Does anyone have any thoughts on zeroing my SP. Thanks in advance.
Guess I got lucky, did not have to move the sight much.
I had to get a Hogue mono grip because of the recoil, however.

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
Ok...I admit that I don't have a Ruger in 327.....I'm a closet, proud owner of an S W 327....doesn't mean I don't own Rugers....but I really like that lil ol S&W.