Well, looks like I'm in club Fed.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don't worry, I'm not talking about the pokey! :)

Went to one of the local gunshows today, not looking for anything in particular. I had a good time looking around, and chatting with some of the dealers, but everything I saw of interest, seemed expensive for my tastes. As I neared the end of the rows of tables, I came across a seller who had a blued Blackhawk, and a stainless GP100, both in 327 Federal. I don't have anything in that caliber, but like my 32 H&R's so I've been looking out for them

Last show, another fellow had a stainless Blackhawk for $875, and I regret not buying it. I prefer blued single actions, and I also much prefer the Bisley grip and hammer to the Blackhawk, which is why I had passed. Both of the guns today had a $1,000 price tag, which I thought might be high, but don't really know.

I looked them both over, and explained that I just didn't like the standard Blackhawk grip, to which the seller replied that they made more of the GP100's, so the Blackhawk was the better investment. We talked a little more, and he said that he could go $950 on the GP. At that point, I was pretty much convinced I wanted it, but was in no hurry.

We chatted a little more about how it was a good caliber, but not a popular one, and I wasn't sure what purpose, if any it would serve, other than an unusual addition to my collection. At that point, he said he'd go $900, but that was the best he could do.

I said I'd take it, and he said great, one of those boxes of ammo goes with it! I had noticed there were 2 boxes of Federal American Eagle 100gr soft points on the table, and I didn't know until then that he was including one with each gun. I didn't complain! He then told me it was a private collection, and he would need cash, which was fine, and also meant no sales tax! :)

I wound up with the GP and box of ammo for $900 out the door. Dunno if that is a decent deal or not, but I was pleased.

Guess I'm in the 327 Federal club now!

32shooter

Blackhawk
You did good! I have the stainless Blackhawk in .327, but no GP. I would like to add one to my accumulation. Be careful, they have a habit of multiplying!

G2

Hunter
Welcome to the 327 club,

You will find the American Eagle 100gr Soft point, rated @ 1500fps, will impress!! It's loud, fast & hard hitting. Out of all the factory offerings it has the most recoil, and very snappy in the hand.

Congrats

Welcome to the 327 club,

You will find the American Eagle 100gr Soft point, rated @ 1500fps, will impress!! It's loud, fast & hard hitting. Out of all the factory offerings it has the most recoil, and very snappy in the hand.

Congrats

Sounds fun!

The last thing I shot that I would classify as "snappy" was 300 grain jsp, out of my Scandium S&W 329pd. That just flat out hurt! :( I expect this GP to be a lot of fun.

contender

Ruger Guru
"I came across a seller who had a blued Blackhawk, and a stainless GP100, both in 327 Federal."

A blued Blackhawk would be much rarer if I recall if it was in .327 Federal. I know of the Stainless ones,, and the "Pinto" ones. Not sure if there were any in all blue.

It was definitely all blue. He also said he had recently sold a GP100 in 44 special. That made me grind my teeth a bit, as I would have thrown my shoulder out reaching for my wallet if I saw that!

He said he'd be at another show in 3 weeks. If he still has the Blackhawk, maybe I'll snag it.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
"I came across a seller who had a blued Blackhawk, and a stainless GP100, both in 327 Federal."

A blued Blackhawk would be much rarer if I recall if it was in .327 Federal. I know of the Stainless ones,, and the "Pinto" ones. Not sure if there were any in all blue.
The story I heard, and we know how that can go, is just one blued Blackhawk in 327 was made. It was not released but destroyed and Ruger won't even talk about it . Legend has it that is where the blued cylinders came from that brought about the Pintos, what few there are. The other version is carbon steel was loaded to cut cylinders and a few were made before the mistake was discovered. I sure hope that there are no blued B/H 327s out there. I had to put off retirement for a year to get the Pinto.

Great, now you have me doubting my memory, and sanity, and I probably won't sleep for 3 weeks! LOL! There were several Rugers that caught my attention, including a 3 screw 30 carbine. Maybe/probably I'm mis-remembering.

Kinda doubt I came across a one off gun, especially at that price.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Great, now you have me doubting my memory, and sanity, and I probably won't sleep for 3 weeks! LOL! There were several Rugers that caught my attention, including a 3 screw 30 carbine. Maybe/probably I'm mis-remembering.

Kinda doubt I came across a one off gun, especially at that price.
Don't doubt yourself. Regardless of whether or not there is a blued B/H out there you got a great deal on the GP. It would take much more than $900 to get any of my 327s and I think I have one of each of the factory releases. The Pinto just isn't for sale at any price. It was the hardest to come by. The Birdhead Single Seven was the next hardest.

At this point, my memory has been shaken and stirred!

I remember it was an 8 shot, and said New Model Blackhawk on the frame. At this point, I think it must have been stainless, and I'm confusing it with one of the blued guns I looked at. Sorry for the confusion. :(

contender

Ruger Guru
A good point about the Buckeye. However, a Buckeye Special is marked differently on the frame where the caliber is. So,, if it said ".327" then it'd be very rare if blue.
And even if it was a stainless 8-shot .327,, it'd be a good one to snag!

How about a 71/2" blued Bisley Vaquero in .327 Federal?

larry8

Single-Sixer
I know there are a lot of people that like the 327 caliber, but I heard that the manufactures are going to discontinue it, saying it is a caliber not in demand any more.

Latest posts