3 Screw Custom- Super Size Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A while back I purchased a 1963 Single Six that appears to be refinished. A request to Ruger for a letter drew a blank- there was no record of this serial in their books. So, I figured if I was going to do some work on an old 3 Screw Single Six, this was the one. (Nothing I did can't be reversed if desired.)

I had a Super Blackhawk Hunter grip frame in stainless. I acquired an Old Army wide trigger and fabricated a trigger spring adapter block. I also modified the front strap to be more vertical like a Bisley. I fit the grip frame to the main frame and polished it out. Replaced the ejector and base pin with stainless parts that I polished. I then installed Wolff springs and had Chad at Chig's make some beautiful Ironwood grip panels for it.

Here's the "finished" product. I will say this is the nicest feeling Single Six that I have ever held. From the wide trigger to the more vertical front strap- for me, this is perfection. I still have to decide if I want to polish out the sides of the hammer and trigger, or replace the hammer with one of the new OM Single Six Super hammers in black from RW Gripframes.
IMG_8418.jpeg
IMG_8419.jpeg
IMG_8420.jpeg
IMG_8421.jpeg
IMG_8423.jpeg
IMG_8424.jpeg

Last edited:
Isn't that a s/n in the 22 Magnum range?
Yes, it is. I had Linda at Ruger Records check all possibilities and there was no record. She also checked the serial above and below it- they were both there. This one is a mystery.

I bought it with the .22LR cylinder only that was marked with the correct serial. I was lucky enough to purchase a .22WMR cylinder that was unmarked that I fit to it.