22 mag for self defense?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Big Old Boy

Hunter
My wife has the LCR 22 mag that is the gun she likes to use and is much better than a hand full of rocks.

5of7

Hunter
stevemb said:
Some good advice thru above posts so I'll just add..add the 50gr Federal 22mag HP to the ammo try list.
I suggested that to my friend, but he said that the 30 grain ammo produced more energy so that was what she was going to be carrying.

When I tried to explain that the penetration factor was better with the heavier bullet, he told me that energy and killing power were the same thing.

As my daughter says....'each to his own'. 8)

I read Hornady is working up a new critical defense load in 35 gr. It utilizes their XTP tip in a leadless copper core, and will generate devistating ballistics and energy transfer to the target. (From a 4 inch barrel or greater) Looks like a 9mm hydrashok or better in ballistic gelatin. Gotta find a link to the article.

5of7

Hunter
Some people think that they are gonna get 1800 FPS out of a 22 Mg. with a 2" barrel...it ain't so. 8)

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/calibers.html

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
5of7 said:
Some people think that they are gonna get 1800 FPS out of a 22 Mg. with a 2" barrel...it ain't so. 8)

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/calibers.html

Many people have all kinds of oddball notions and false assumptions about firearms and ammo. Unless it's a friend or somebody I care about, I don't even try to educate them anymore. Especially when it comes to ballistics. The math is often over their head anyway. It's enough for them if the damn thing just goes bang when they yank the trigger. :roll:

Like this: Shotgun - Good spread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9iYvyffAh4

HW11

Single-Sixer
As several people have said it may not be the number one choice but that being said I have seen a good number of people killed with a 22 and a 25 for that matter. I've seen one killed with one shot from a 22 short. He was outside in the driveway. He was standing in a sandy spot so you could see his foot prints. The lady said when she shot him he just fell forward. Sure enough his toes were in the end of the footprint, he didn't even kick a little. I saw a very interesting outcome from a 25 one time but that's another story.

Unk

Bearcat

End point of my back up to primary path...Mod 60, I had hammer bobbed and made the rough out leather pocket square.

First was a Iver Johnson TP 22, next High Standard Derringer .22 mag, followed by AMT .380, then the S&W..any could have spoiled someone's day - my objective was, and is, to always go home to my family at days end.

Best.

bigbill

Single-Sixer
Don't sell the 22 caliber short. If it's fast enough it bounces off bones in the body like a ball in a pin ball machine. It can do damage.

noahmercy said:
And before anyone trots out the "lethality" of rimfires, a defensive gun need not be lethal, but it better STOP the threat. Unless a tiny bullet expands to make a bigger hole AND gets deep enough to reach vital organs, or it hits the central nervous system, it is very unlikely to keep a bad guy from hurting or killing you. 22s have a proven poor track record of being fight-stoppers, particularly when the bad guy is under the influence of alcohol or narcotics, or is mentally unstable...which pretty much covers 90% of the scumbags one might have to shoot.

I'm not going to "trot out the "'lethality'" of rimfires" BUT I will be the first to say it's better to have something than nothing. Many times people don't actually have to fire that gun. They do NEED to understand if they do decide to use a rimfire, they just made a commitment to completely empty their gun on their attacker. Just like any other SD shooting you shoot till the threat stops. Using less power than you can handle put's you at a disadvantage. I didn't read the last few posts but agree with Contender that someone besides her husband needs to take her out to shoot and bring her up to a level of confidence with a revolver that she can step up the power some. She needs to ask herself, what would she do if her life, or the life of her family were in danger? What can she handle now?

Fackler Rebel

Bearcat
When you are spraying bullets, which seems to be in vogue, mass and speed matters I suppose. I have no doubt if I drill the bad guy smack between his eyes, that will take all the fight out of him, if not put him down. Placement is what I was told. Hit guys have been known to use .22LR for hits. Works on hogs, so why not a human. Regardless of the caliber, when the round is lit off, the person on the other end will think it is a cannon.

Mag-force

Single-Sixer
5of7 you need to watch 57.28 mm vs 22 magnum on you/tube. real good performance for the 22 mag you'll be surprised. Real cool display he has set up. That way your friend might feel alittle better.

pjkid

Bearcat
At my local club we can shoot 22LR, 380, 38, 9mm, 44 etc pistols indoors but we cant shoot 22 mag indoors. (or 357)

Someone forum posted a few months ago a piece of metal where 380 & 9mm shots bounced off and the 22 mag put holes right thru. dont remember the link.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Does anyone know why there aren't hot loaded rimfire cartridges from Buffalo Bore or Underwood, etc.? It seems like the factory stuff varies somewhat in mv and m.e. ratings. It would be nice to squeeze out another 100 fps in th .22 wmr and the .22 lr. Are the CCI tnt loads already maxed out?

Three44s

Single-Sixer
The gun you have with you beats the best one sitting back home in the safe!

But I prefer the "best one" .........

So it comes down to what the young lady will pack.

It sure sounds like her father needs to give the youngin' more lee way ..... she needs to have discussions and interaction with other shooters .......... he's too rigid and locked into his own pre-conceptions.

I hope she takes the initiative ....... it's her hide at stake!

Three 44s