1B 22 Hornet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Danny

Single-Sixer
gewehrfreund said:
OK, what did I miss here that justifies this price. . .?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=377763818

I was watching that auction. That's a nice rifle, but not that nice. The results of that bidding are from what my brother and I call a "Penis Showdown", two guys lining up, account to account, squared off to show who has the biggest "package" (because some guys view things that way and need that).

Danny

R1895

Bearcat
Definitely the result of a pissing contest. The "above average" wood? Yes, it might be considered that compared to what is available all to often these days but IMO, fairly average wood for a redpad back in the day.

winchester348

Single-Sixer
Man just think I could have retired for the rest of the year on my collection that I'm selling. You guys better show me some love because I'm apparently giving mine away.

picketpin

Buckeye
Possible it's a first generation pad but without a better picture it's hard to tell. It certainly doesn't seem to fit well up at the top of the butt stock.

Whether modified or replaced it's not correct for a 3rd generation (post mid 1976) rifle.

Seeing the "B" Hornet was first cataloged in 2003 it'd be "unusual" for it to have a pad that dates to pre 1974 or so.

My best guess? Somebody told him it was a RARE find. ;-)

Ross

ohiosam

Bearcat
There is an old trick in the the sale of show livestock. 2 or more breeders will collude to run up the bids on each other's animals. The animals never change hands and the commission is the only money spent. Each breeder then can tell potential buyers "my animals sell for $xxxx at auction" as way to justify a premium price.

I sometimes wonder if a similar game occasionally gets played in gun auctions.

wunbe

Buckeye
I think it is worse than that.

An owner has a pal who bids up the item in question and takes a % of the profits.

If stuck with it, so what? The money goes right back to the owner.

It's an old gypsy game at no charge horse auctions. On pay for listing sites, the cost is small and the profits major.

And you get protection against low bid winners to boot.

wunbe

picketpin

Buckeye
"Shill Bidding"

Used to be a guy on GB with great stuff and decent prices BUT winning was iffy. One of three bidder ALWAYS won his bids unless somebody bid way above value. I reported it to GB and they did kick the seller off but what does it take for a "new" name?

Ross

Latest posts