1911s the price differences

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skoopski

Single-Sixer
I'd put my $500 Taurus up against anything else, any day. It's accurate out of the box and the only changes I've made to it see what I would've made on any (trigger I like, and grips). I feel the ones that say you have to spend a grand to get something worth anything just say that to make themselves feel better.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Snowninja said:
I feel the ones that say you have to spend a grand to get something worth anything just say that to make themselves feel better.

You may 'feel' that way, but if you think a $400 Taurus 1911 is the equal of a Colt Gold Cup or Springfield Range Officer or Loaded Match ... thats only because YOU can't appreciate the difference. A better shooter could certainly appreciate the difference in accuracy between those guns. Until YOU can appreciate the improvement ... you're right ... it makes no sense to spend more than the Taurus costs. I like the Taurus 1911's as shooters ... but with all that cheap machining and silly cosmetic upgrades that they claim makes it a $1000+ gun .... it certainly does not compare to a higher quality 1911 like the Colts or Springfields.

REV

DGW1949

Hunter
revhigh said:
Snowninja said:
I feel the ones that say you have to spend a grand to get something worth anything just say that to make themselves feel better.

You may 'feel' that way, but if you think a $400 Taurus 1911 is the equal of a Colt Gold Cup or Springfield Range Officer or Loaded Match ... thats only because YOU can't appreciate the difference. A better shooter could certainly appreciate the difference in accuracy between those guns. Until YOU can appreciate the improvement ... you're right ... it makes no sense to spend more than the Taurus costs. I like the Taurus 1911's as shooters ... but with all that cheap machining and silly cosmetic upgrades that they claim makes it a $1000+ gun .... it certainly does not compare to a higher quality 1911 like the Colts or Sprinfields.

REV

Yep....if I'm going to spend big bucks, it's gonna be for a Colt.
Other than that though, I'll just take a basic RIA, have some bigger sights installed, and call it good......No fluff needed. :lol: .

DGW

Skoopski

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
Snowninja said:

You may 'feel' that way, but if you think a $400 Taurus 1911 is the equal of a Colt Gold Cup or Springfield Range Officer or Loaded Match ... thats only because YOU can't appreciate the difference. A better shooter could certainly appreciate the difference in accuracy between those guns. Until YOU can appreciate the improvement ... you're right ... it makes no sense to spend more than the Taurus costs. I like the Taurus 1911's as shooters ... but with all that cheap machining and silly cosmetic upgrades that they claim makes it a $1000+ gun .... it certainly does not compare to a higher quality 1911 like the Colts or Springfields.

REV
Thank you for proving my point... Oh, and I must have missed seeing you the last time I was at the range, thanks for commenting on my shooting though.

Now, I'm sure I lucked out on my Taurus, but if it hits exactly at my point of aim, how can there be any difference in accuracy? I'm just stating that sometimes you luck out and get a good one, and sometimes you get a lemon- no matter the manufacturer. I've had ZERO problems with my Taurus from day one. A shoddy craftsman blames his tools...

Hopefully one day I'll be up on that higher echelon of shooters with Rev... But for now, I'll stick with my Saturday Night Special Piece of Trash (Better not mention my High Point) :roll:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Youre obviously not capable of understanding the difference in quality and accuracy between guns.

Therefore theres no sense discussing it further with you.

Enjoy your Taurus and especially that nice hipoint which I have no doubt is as good as any Sig ...

At least im sure you 'feel' it is. :D

REV

Skoopski

Single-Sixer
Lol... If you need the highest dollar equipment in order to make you a good shooter, then I truly feel sorry for you. Good day.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Snowninja said:
Lol... If you need the highest dollar equipment in order to make you a good shooter, then I truly feel sorry for you. Good day.

No need to feel sorry for me .... my safes are full of high quality guns of all calibers and configurations ... mostly Colts, Springfields, and Rugers ... I'm good.

And I ... unlike you .... can tell the difference.

Enjoy your hipoint ...

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
s4s4u said:

Yeah ... way overrated.

Same old song sung by those who can't afford them forever.
Whether it's a Colt or Sig gun ... a Rolex watch .... or a BMW or Mercedes car ....

The market determines value .... and not for no reason ... Millions of people worldwide dont think they're overrated ... but a small percentage say it over and over .... most likely having never even owned or shot one.

Making a statement like that only proves a person's ignorance of quality guns.

I'm sure if a Ruger and a Colt 1911 were the same price .... you'd pick the Ruger ...

Only an obstinate person would say that they'd take the Ruger for the same price.

Which proves my point .... it comes down to being able to cough up the extra $300 for the better gun.

If you can't afford it ... it's easy to play the overrated card ...

REV

cas6969

Buckeye
I had one of my Colt's out last night, and even tightened up by me a some years ago, I was surprised at how loose it was. Not having shot it in a long time I'd forgotten. Different vintages, different days. A Colt is not a Colt is not a Colt. That applies to most companies, but some more so than others. Kimber is another good example. That's why a lot of what we say and do on forums is kind of silly, and not just about guns. You see it all the time, "I need a new chainsaw, what should I buy?" "I bought a Husky 15 years ago and it's still great." Wonderful, but that doesn't help unless I have a time machine. What "so and so" was making 15 years ago can have little bearing on what they're making today. But we do it all the time.

The "just because you can't afford it" card is a little childish.

revhigh

Hawkeye
First cas ... You know as well as any knowledgeable 1911 guy that 'tightness' is no or little measure of a guns quality or accuracy ... I'm surprised you even went there.

Regarding the rest of the discussion ...

A person Saying they didn't want or need a top shelf gun is one thing.

Saying an obviously higher quality item is 'overrated' simply sounds like sour grapes or lack of the ability to afford it.

I drive a Camry ... For a reason ... I couldn't afford an equivalent size BMW or Mercedes ... But I would never say they're overrated simply because I don't have one or couldn't afford it.

If they were the same price you can damn well believe I'd have the BMW or Mercedes.

Colt has had some rough times ... Every company has. You have to know what to buy ... And from what period.

How many times have we heard on here ... 'For the money' .... Then blah blah blah. If you took money out of the picture .... Would everybody STILL buy as many Rugers? To say money doesn't matter in a purchase is ludicrous. If you were in a store buying an SR1911, and I told you I'd GIVE you the extra money to buy a Colt Gold Cup ... Or Springfield RO ... Or Loaded Match ... Would most people turn down that offer ? Or would they say ... No thanks ... those guns are overrated.

Sigs are overrated ... CZ's are overrated ... Colts are overrated ... Freedom Arms are overrated. Anybody with an ounce of common sense knows that's not true.

If people flat out said ... I want an inexpensive workhorse gun and that's why I bought a GP100 ... Or SR1911 .... Fine ... But to denigrate obviously higher quality weapons by saying they're overrated ... Is simply jealousy ... And saying that people buy higher quality weapons than Rugers because of their egos is colossally ignorant and just shows that they themselves can't appreciate better accuracy, better machining, and a whole host of other factors ... Or they just don't know any better.

I stand by my jealousy/inability to afford comments as the main reason some people attempt to denigrate any higher quality item ... No matter what it is. Of course nobody will admit that ... And they'll all say ... I could have afforded/bought any 'whatever' I wanted ...

REV

Skoopski

Single-Sixer
The problem is, you are going across the board with an attitude of if it costs more, it's better. I have a 3rd gen colt SAA, that was my grandfather's. Beautiful gun, but not inherently accurate. As I'm sure you are all aware of the problem with different sized cylinder throats in those guns. The barrel diameter is a touch larger than all but one of the chambers. That's from factory, no gunsmith work at all. Now, I wouldn't trade that gun for the world for sentimental reasons, but I have an OM Blackhawk .45 shipped straight to my grandfather from the factory about '72, it shoots dead on. Which is the better gun? The colt cause it costs/is worth more, or the Ruger because it shoots better? Don't know about you, but we prefer function over form around here.
P.S.- I can do this all day long with guns I actually own and have shot. Remington (original WWII era, not new production) over my father's Gold Cup. My Springfield XD over my brothers Sig229. Now, I work for a living, so I can't afford the fancy paint and names most of the time. But I have family who makes a lot more than I do that do own these types of guns, so I have actually had my hands on them to compare...

What matters in the end is that YOU get the best gun for YOU, as long as it is 100% reliable, and shoots to where YOU aim, don't let the gun snobs make you feel bad.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
A Camry or VW will get you from point A to point B, it's air conditioning will keep you just as cool and it's heater will keep you just as warm. The wipers will let you see just as good, the brakes will stop you just as fast and there're cheaper to fix. The BMW or Mercedes is better workmanship. It's nice to be able to afford nice things... But you didn't arrive at point B in better condition. I have a Colt Series 70 and rugers SR1911 and they both shoot fine, So just because I can't tell the difference between them, when I shoot them... that means I'm inefficient? I would expect a Gold Cup to have better accuracy than an SR1911, that's what you pay for, but I'd put my Ruger of RIA up against my run of the mill Colt.
Why do people stay on a Ruger SR1911 Forum and constanly put down the Ruger SR1911. And saying it's a good gun for what it is.... That compliment is equal to make your girlfriend feel better by complimenting her... IE; Your pretty... If you'd only lose some weight.
The Ruger SR1911 is a great gun for little money.
The RIA is a great gun for less money.
Neither were made to compete with a Gold Cup.
They were made to do the job.

Skoopski

Single-Sixer
^^^ I'm pretty sure I'd find out first hand just how efficient the SR1911 is if I said that to my wife...^^^ :lol:

loaded round

Hunter
I firmly believe at this point, anyone on this site that puts down a SR1911 or CDR is a complete jerk! Can't say perfect because no one is that bad.

revhigh

Hawkeye
loaded round said:
I firmly believe at this point, anyone on this site that puts down a SR1911 or CDR is a complete jerk! Can't say perfect because no one is that bad.

Again ... the SR's are entry level guns ... they are what they are. Nobody is putting them down. There are better guns for a few hundred dollars more.

If you want an entry level gun ... you got that in the SR.

If you want a more accurate better machined gun ... you can have it for 2-300 more.

This topic was about 1911 prices ... not whether the Ruger is a good 600 dollar entry level gun.

REV

buscadero

Single-Sixer
What is an entry level gun? Is my Rem 700 an entry level compared to a Weatherby? By your standards, yes. Just because something cost more doesn't mean it does a better job. Are you saying that famous actors are better than regular people. Get off your entry level horse, I'm getting kind of tired of having my nose rubbed in it. If you have to have a high price gun to enjoy shooting, fine, go for it. But stop the "I've got a better gun than you because I paid more crap" You look down your nose at people that don't come up to your standards. If your so fond of your Colt or SO(made in Brazil) then go on there forums, or it's time for me to leave this one. Tired of the negativity. Enough problems in life without some always telling you that what you have, in their opinion, isn't good enough. Of course this is only MY humble opinion.

revhigh

Hawkeye
buscadero said:
What is an entry level gun? Is my Rem 700 an entry level compared to a Weatherby? By your standards, yes. Just because something cost more doesn't mean it does a better job. Are you saying that famous actors are better than regular people. Get off your entry level horse, I'm getting kind of tired of having my nose rubbed in it. If you have to have a high price gun to enjoy shooting, fine, go for it. But stop the "I've got a better gun than you because I paid more crap" You look down your nose at people that don't come up to your standards. If your so fond of your Colt or SO(made in Brazil) then go on there forums, or it's time for me to leave this one. Tired of the negativity. Enough problems in life without some always telling you that what you have, in their opinion, isn't good enough. Of course this is only MY humble opinion.

The topic was about various priced 1911's and what the price differences give you ... If you can't live with that without getting all menopausal about it ... Then leave ... Don't threaten it ... Just do it.

No matter how hysterical you may get about it ... Some guns are better than others ... And if your reading comprehension is good enough ... You'll see that by reading the original post.

If you want to leave ... Leave.

REV