1911 thumb safety

Help Support Ruger Forum:

james r jr

Single-Sixer
Hi folks. Just need a tutorial on safety replacement. I am thinking about changing my ambi thumb safety to a single on a Colt 1911. I've done some research, videos etc. and i am a little confused. Here is how i think you can do it: remove the right side safety, cock the hammer, find the sweet spot for the left side safety and remove it, put in the new single safety, done. I know the new safety might need fitting. Is this the way to do this? I've seen some videos where they are removing the grip safety and the main spring housing as well. Hope this topic is not a dead horse. Thanks, James.

cas6969

Buckeye
Yeah that's about it. Find the "Happy middle", wiggle and pull it out. You'll probably have more trouble getting the right one off, they can be a pain.

As for fitting the new safety, count on it. Don't go into it thinking there's a slight chance you might have to. It's more a very slight chance you won't have to.

cas6969

Buckeye
OOps... almost forgot. When you do pull it out, the plunger and spring will come out.
It might come out a tiny bit, or it could shoot the plunger across the room, so be alert.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
A helpful tip is to assemble the gun without the grip safety and the plunger assembly so you can see exactly where and how much material to remove from the lug. Removing the plunger eliminates having it fall into the detent and gives you a better feel for the engagement.

james r jr

Single-Sixer
Thanks 1911Tuner. That's a good tip. I've read somewhere that the grip safety can be removed without removing the main spring housing. I guess it is no big deal either way though. I believe i understand the feel of the fit, but are you talking about looking through the space where the grip safety was to see how the thumb safety is mating to the sear? Thanks again.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
james r jr said:
Thanks 1911Tuner. That's a good tip. I've read somewhere that the grip safety can be removed without removing the main spring housing. I guess it is no big deal either way though. I believe i understand the feel of the fit, but are you talking about looking through the space where the grip safety was to see how the thumb safety is mating to the sear? Thanks again.

Very few will allow the grip safety to be removed with the mainspring housing in place...and if one will, there's something wrong. You don't need to completely remove the housing. Just slide it down a quarter inch, then slide it back into place and install the pin far enough to hold the housing.

Yes. With the grip safety out of the way, you can see how everything works.