1 reason to not buy Taurus

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Spike66

Bearcat
Hmmmm. No flash at all coming out of the barrel. Firing a second shot after a squib?

slippingaway

Blackhawk
In the comments, the guy says that there wasn't a squib. It was a range rental gun, no telling what could have been wrong with it.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
Doug.38PR":329yn2fd said:
so some moron previous renter could have sneaked in a box of superhot handloads and then handed back a loose cannon ready to fly apart after 20 rounds.

mmmm...I doubt it.

Hot handloads might weaken the cylinder, but shouldn't loosen the barrel

It's a faulty gun. It happens...especially with Taurus.

Daryl

revhigh

Hawkeye
My guess is a definite squib, there was ZERO flash out the front, and LOTS of flash near the forcing cone. How would that possibly happen any other way ??

REV

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The guy said the previous shots sounded ok.

From the comments:
quote> I don't think it was a squib, its pretty easy to tell whether a .357 went off fully or only partly, and I don't recall hearing any weak shots. <end quote

The barrel came out of the frame. Perhaps the gun was out of time and not locked-up? That rest the shooter was holding on to might have been binding on the cylinder a little preventing full rotation of the cylinder. Interesting "caught on video". :shock:

...Jimbo

William Wilson

Bearcat
8) I agree with Spike 66- No flash at the end of the barrow and in the earlier cut it showed a flash in the cylinder and no bang. :shock: This adds up to a Squib round. :oops: No handgun will stand up to that. I own a Taurus and found that they are good guns with an unbeatable warranty. :D
PD Bill
:)

redeux

Bearcat
seen several of these with turdri revolvers esp the lwt and ul ...
the frames are bad and a few rounds later you have a barrel shaped hole in the target...
the only thing turdri ever did right was their 92 and 101...

Hokie73

Bearcat
So, are you saying the fact that some Redhawks shed their barrels because of overtorquing should preclude ever buying a Ruger?
Get over it. If it isn't your gun you don't know what the heck the shooter was doing. Some people could break an anvil with a rubber mallet. Ruger and Taurus both seem to stand behind their products with less argument than I would if it were me, to be honest. I think if stupidity had a higher pricetag we might see less of it. Might. Anything would be worth a try.

Spike66

Bearcat
Doug.38PR":2oe3ns5f said:
This just occurred to me....how do you know if you you have a squib? You fire the gun, you can't see where you hit among your current grouping, you fire again and....a knot appears in your barrel...or if your shooting a Taurus the gun flies apart.

I've had it happen to me twice. You can both hear and feel the difference. The first time I came way too close to firing another round. I'm sure glad I didn't as it was with my Model 19-3, one of my favorite revolvers.

- Spike

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
Hokie73":wqqpfrbt said:
So, are you saying the fact that some Redhawks shed their barrels because of overtorquing should preclude ever buying a Ruger?
Get over it. If it isn't your gun you don't know what the heck the shooter was doing. Some people could break an anvil with a rubber mallet. Ruger and Taurus both seem to stand behind their products with less argument than I would if it were me, to be honest. I think if stupidity had a higher pricetag we might see less of it. Might. Anything would be worth a try.

No, but I'll say that a Taurus .357 mag wearing out with less than 500 rounds through it will prevent me from ever buying another one. The thing was so loose that I was afraid to shoot it, so I sold it cheap to a guy who wanted to send it back in for refurbishing. I don't know how that turned out, but I don't want another one.

And I never shot a single handload through it, because at the time 357 ammo was pretty inexpensive. Heck, for that matter most of the rounds I shot through it were .38 specials.

Daryl

trouble

Single-Sixer

No, but I'll say that a Taurus .357 mag wearing out with less than 500 rounds through it will prevent me from ever buying another one. The thing was so loose that I was afraid to shoot it, so I sold it cheap to a guy who wanted to send it back in for refurbishing. I don't know how that turned out, but I don't want another one.

And I never shot a single handload through it, because at the time 357 ammo was pretty inexpensive. Heck, for that matter most of the rounds I shot through it were .38 specials.

Daryl[/quote]
Oh so since you had one that was not up to spec, all of them are that way? Ignorance is a sad thing to see, I carried a 650 CIA 357 snub as a backup for years and it fired nothing but Federal 125 357 loads, just as tight when I sold it off as when I bought it. But I'll not tell any more stories as some folks couldn't be persuaded of anything...

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
Oh so since you had one that was not up to spec, all of them are that way? Ignorance is a sad thing to see, I carried a 650 CIA 357 snub as a backup for years and it fired nothing but Federal 125 357 loads, just as tight when I sold it off as when I bought it. But I'll not tell any more stories as some folks couldn't be persuaded of anything...

Nope, didn't say that, either. I just said it's enough for me to not buy another one.

I doubt there's many manufacturers that haven't recalled a model once in a while. They can all make mistakes in design. Taurus is the first one I've seen actually WEAR OUT with very few (IMO) rounds through it.

Buy 'em, own 'em, and shoot 'em if you want. I have a bad taste in my mouth from the Taurus I owned, and I won't own another.

And btw-ignorance has nothing to do with it. I TRIED one, I OWNED one, and I SHOT one 'till it wore out. I remain unimpressed by their quality.

If you think that's ignorance, then you might want to look up the definition.

Daryl