RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:31 pm 
Bearcat

First off, I'd like to introduce myself. Smitty is my name! And, I am a proud owner of a new Ruger MKIII 22/45. A 51/2 inch removable grip panel rig.

I got it, and installed a VQ sear. Takedown and reassembly were actually quite easy, thanks to Bullseye, and his photo tutorial.

I took it out to the range, and put 200 rounds of CCI MM through it. After making a couple of windage adjustments it was putting 10 rounds into a nickle size area on my target @25 yards (sand bagged)

Then, I put on a cheap BSA reflex sight on it and was shooting grapefruits on the 50 yard line.

So far I am very happy with my new pistol.

I shot up the last of my CCI mini mag ammunition today. So, had to pull out a few bricks of some PMC Zapper .22LR that has been well kept for about 15 years. I looked it over and it still looked new & shiny like it did when I put it away. But within the first mag I had a full casehead separation. I'm a left handed shooter so my thumb got peppered pretty good. No damage to my thumb. But the mini blowout destroyed my (plastic)loaded chamber indicator.

Can I carry on without the parts installed? And Yes... I won't be feeding it any more of my Zapper!! :lol:

Post subject: LCI Filler Contact
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:36 am 
Bearcat

bpatza

Team RFC

TPC Rating: 100% (1)
Team RFC Since: Aug 2006
Team RFC To: Dec 2010

LCI filler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total price shipped, stainless $18.50, shipped with tracking $19.25, Hot Blued,$20.50, shipped with tracking$21.25, stainless beadblasted, $19.50 w/tracking$20.25. Prices good in the lower 48. Preferred payment money order, I will accept personal checks however my bank will charge $10 for NSF and that would upset this old guy. I would like to ship once a week as I live 11 miles from the post office and with the price of gas that helps keep the cost down. Payment to Bruce Patza address N863 Lawn RD, Seymour WI. 54165 Phone 920-833-6628. Email me your Phone # and I will answer your questions.

Post subject: Filler
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:40 am 
Bearcat

Quailty part fits and looks GREAT contact Bruce.Anytime I go the the range they always ask where did you get that.Buy one from Bruce and you will be happy and It will look good.

Post subject: LCI for Mk III
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:04 am 
Bearcat

I had my LCI removed when the V'sen trigger parts were installed. Almost completely eliminated the infrequent jamming problem that I was having. The Mk III is a lot easier to clean as well.

(Note the 1911 style grips I attached as well; I used Gorilla Glue!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:10 pm 

To answer the question: Yes, you can carry on without the parts.

If you want to spend the $20 on a little piece of metal to fill the slot, there is that option. To me it still just looks like a part that shouldn't be there, just like the original LCI.

My LCI doesn't bother me (enough, yet), but I did get a kick out of the text in the manual where it warns that it can just fall out on its own... (When the gun is otherwise disassembled, of course.)

-- Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:37 pm 
Bearcat

Thank you for the helpful answers.

I don't need a loaded chamber gizmo anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:50 pm 
Blackhawk

You can also take the spring out of it, or just remove it altogether. I just left it out on my 22/45 as that is my tinker toy with the VQ parts in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:36 pm 
Single-Sixer

Baldy wrote:
You can also take the spring out of it, or just remove it altogether. I just left it out on my 22/45 as that is my tinker toy with the VQ parts in it.

When I find a round tuit, I'll do that also. Hasn't bothered me yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:59 pm 
Bearcat

Baldy wrote:

How do you take the spring out?
Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm 
Single-Sixer

cbuxton41 wrote:
Baldy wrote:

Thank you

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398&highlight=lci+removal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:07 pm 
Blackhawk

cbuxton41 wrote:
Baldy wrote:

Thank you

I took the barrel off and gave it a few taps with a hard rubber hammer and the pin pops out a little. Grab it with some needle nose pliers and pull the pin out. (mine was pastic). Take the little metal piece out and the spring. You can now put the LCI back in or leave it out. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:04 pm 
Bearcat

Baldy wrote:
cbuxton41 wrote:
Baldy wrote:

Thank you

I took the barrel off and gave it a few taps with a hard rubber hammer and the pin pops out a little. Grab it with some needle nose pliers and pull the pin out. (mine was pastic). Take the little metal piece out and the spring. You can now put the LCI back in or leave it out. :)

Thank you. Lot of changes since my 1959 Mark I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:52 pm 
Blackhawk

Yes there has been a lot of changes. I like you missed the MK-II altogether. I have a MK-I that sat in the safe for about 20yrs or longer. I am just now getting caught up a little. I got a .22/45 & a MK-III in the last six months. Took the MK-I with me the other day and put 100rds through it and it ran perfect. Never used one of them fancy scopes before and now I have two. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:41 am 
Hawkeye

Goodness, if the lawyers at Ruger find out the pistol will work with out the loaded chamber indicator installed.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm 
Hunter

I keep wondering if anyone had the same thought as me and will take a MKIII Stainless and just weld the offending slot shut and re-polish the reciever. I haven't done that yet but I plan to. Anyone see anything wrong from a functionality standpoint with that?