? for the #1 experts on Ruger rings

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deerman3

Bearcat
I have two #1 that I put new scopes on and both guns are shooting left so far that there is not enough adjustment to center. I have Ruger extension rings on both. {high power scopes 6-20 } Are the rings at fault?

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
I guess my first question is did you need extension rings? I cannot recall ever using them with varmint type scopes.

Having said that I have never experienced any issues, such as you describe, using them even when both were extension.

If you are only using one extension ring Are the extension rings the same brand as the standard ring?

Dave

deerman3

Bearcat
Both pair of rings are Ruger . Both are extension. I find it odd to have the same problem on two rifles. Scopes are different brands.One is a Zeiss on a 220 Swift, the other a Weaver on a 270.

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
Well you have me on this one... I have never run across a problem like this. as you say.. veyr odd that both rifles are the same.

Perhaps others will have better ideas

Dave

picketpin

Buckeye
If the rib or blocks are not exactly centered you can run out of adjustments to bore sight zero the scope, especially when using big scopes in hgh magnification and tiny little 1/8 or 1/16 clicks. The scope just doesn't have enough travel to zero.

I had never run across it and I use standard medium Ruger rings and usually 6x18 scopes on most of my varmint caliber #1s.

After I bought my 22PPC and built the 22BR I was shooting holes and went to much bigger scopes than I usually use for varmints.

The 22 PPC has a Burris 8x32 Signature scope on it and the 22BR has a Burris 8x32 Black Diamond. Neither would zero!!!! I ran out of adjustments before I could get there.

I started sweating bullets and trying to figure out what was wrong. Do I need different rings? Do I need to take the blocks off and re-drill the holes?

Anyway, I took it to my smith and he got out a little plastic box and sorted through some little half moon brass shims and selected a couple. I've been shooting Rugers since about 1970, that was the first time I knew you could actually shim Ruger rings!!!!

We re-centered the reticles and then shimmed the rings on opposite sides, in the detents for the clamps to get them to zero the scope with the reticle zeroed and have never had a problem with them.

He said Brownells used to sell them. Me, I just cut some using one of his as a model , out of brass and aluminum pop cans.
He did mention that if you have to move them a lot, it is sometimes necessary to file off a tiny bit on the recoil lug on the bottom of the ring, on the side it needs to travel, TO.

If you weren't using extesnsion rings another approach is to use Burris Signature rings for Rugers wit the plastic inserts that allow you to adjust the zero up to .0020 by using the +.0010 insert front and rear but on opposite sides. However they only come in Med, High x-High and I do not believe they are offered as exstension rings.

Basiclly the mounts are a tiny bit off center and your big scopes don't have enough adjustment to compensate.

Anybody else remember when shimming scope bases/rings to get stuff to line up was a real common occurance????

By the waay I've found this is not an occurrance unique to Ruger when using high magnification scopes with small incremental adjustments.

Ross

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
470N.
If you mean moving the front to back and the back to front; that is what I did on a most recent case. There was not enough adjustment in the scope and after switching the rings, no problem!
Don't ask me why it worked, but it did.

luvs2hunt62

Blackhawk
an easy way would be to take the scope out of the rings, then lay a 1 in wood dowel in the rings and see if it aligns with the barrel. If not, change ring position, front to back, or re-set the rings in the grooves to make sure they were properly installed. I had one guy at my range whose mount was so out of alignment that he never could zero the scope.

you can check the rings by checking the alignment with a set of rings you've had success with.
good luck.
tom

deerman3

Bearcat
Thanks for all the information. I will try the dowel and moving the rings first. I looked at the Burris rings with the inserts. Anyone here tried them? They also have a base to mount on the rib that converts it to a weaver style base. I also see that Millett has Ruger rings that are windage adjustable. Has anyone tried these?

picketpin

Buckeye
I've run the Burris Signature rings made for Ruger bases. Leupold also makes "Ruger" rings as does Millet.

Once you decide you need major mods there are lots of solutions.

I would still be inclined to re=zero the scope and mount it and then shim it so that it's very close to zeroed without using the click adjustment nd getting it close and then using the clicks to zero. It's worked everyu time I've done it on Ruger rings.

THis really isn't as hard or difficult as one first thinks it is.

Ross

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Ross recommended you re-zero your scope. Here's a quick way to do it.

1. Remove scope from rifle.
2. Put scope objective bell to a mirror. Helps to have a bright side light.
3. Look through the scope. Note the reticles AND their reflections.
4. Adjust the reticles so that they align with their reflections.

Now mount the scope back on the rifle and using a boresighter, use shims to get as close to zeroed as you can.

Ted

Latest posts