SR9 Recommended Ammunition

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ITSANSS

Bearcat
Any particular brand, grain, etc. etc. that's better for the SR9?

Use is for occassional shooting for recreation (not a tournament or anything) and for CCL.

Thanks!

bigfanofsr9

Bearcat
I've shot Winchester WB and LOTS of Federal from Walmart at under $10 a box. Almost 1000 rounds total, and not a single problem.

ITSANSS

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply.

I've shot 50 rounds of, I can't remember the brand, for my SDA class through the gun and they all did very well. It was the first time I shot the gun. The box was black and orange and cost about $15 or so after tax, etc. I was pleased with how it preformed, but was just curious if there was a better ammunition for long-term use.

More replies welcome! What's been your experience(s)?

Thanks again, ya'll

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
Sounds like RWS. Wally World here now has it in 124 gr. for $13.00, when it used to be $16.00. WWB and Rem. UMC ( :cry: ) are both $12.50 for 115 gr. I like the RWS as my go to choice for just shooting around. As for carry, Speer Gold Dot hollowpoints are very impressive. And, the 124 gr. GDHPs shoot dang near identical to RWS 124 gr. FMJ. Good to at least sight in with. #2 choice will always be WWB, though. lol

Strange

Bearcat
The SR9 will eat anything you put through it with out any problems. I've used Luger, Federal, American Eagle, and just picked up 250rds of Rem UMC on special at Walmart for $51. No problems, no complaints with any of the ammunition except I can't keep enough of it around to quench my SR9's hunger. :lol:

flyers76

Bearcat
I've got probably close to 2,000 rounds through mine and no problem shoting anything I've put thru it...my favorites for target shooting are WWB ($24 for a box of 100 at Walmart), Blazer CCI, American Eagle, Federal, S&B and Speer..I shoot 115-grain. For defensive purposes, my personal preference is Cor-Bon +P at 115-grain and Hornady Critical Defense, both hollow point.

sdsponger

Bearcat
I have 600 rounds through my SR9 and I've shot everything flyers76 has except for the Blazer. I haven't had any problems and love the gun. I use the Hornady Critical Defense for HD and recently tried some Federal 147gr Hydra-Shok as well.

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
I'm close to or at or I've lost count so I might even be over 4k. I mostly shoot Walmart Federal some WWB (smokes to much) and Rem. UMC and my SR9 doesn't skip a beat so shoot whatever is the cheapest or whatever you can find. Dusterman

ITSANSS

Bearcat
Thanks for all the input!

Was out of town yesterday and visited an Academy Sports & Outdoors store they had there (limited on stores where I live, Academy is one we don't have in town) and they had some 9mm ammunition. I'm bad with remembering brand names, but these particular rounds had steel jackets with a copper covering and with a wax coating on top of that. I'm certainly, certainly no expert on firearms or ammo., but that sounds like something with TOO many features for just a bullet. Doing some quick figuring, I decided that since I hadn't heard of all those features for a simple bullet, the fact that they were four dollars cheaper for 50 rounds than anything else I had seen, and that the shelf was fully stocked with them, but out of stock on a lot of other stuff, I decided to stay away. lol The casings were kind of a weird, dark green sort of color.

I really do appreciate all the responses. It sounds like the Ruger SR9 is quite the pistol. I got it as a birthday gift and have only shot 50 rounds through it for SDA class, but from all the reviews online and comments of a couple strangers in SDA class, and the way it handled while shooting, I think it's a gun that's going to last a long time. I'm going to get a booklet of some sort to keep track of what I've shot through it, when, where, and how many rounds. I also got a Hoppe's No. 9 gun cleaning kit as a gift with the gun and I used it on the pistol as soon as I got home with it. :)

Another ammo. question... As I was reading some reviews on different kinds of ammo., I saw some reviews about people that buy ammo. by the case or even by the pallet. Where is it one can purchase, say, a thousand rounds at one time? I don't imagine anything potentially explosive can be shipped via USPS or FedEx. lol
Also, my dad has a concern that ammo. ages. I can see a hundred year old round being not as good as a fresh one, but is there really a shelf life, I reckon it can be called, for ammo.? Are there better ways than others to store ammo.?

Thanks everybody and sorry for all the newb. questions!

427mach1

Blackhawk
Where is it one can purchase, say, a thousand rounds at one time?

Midway USA (www.midwayusa.com) has ammo available in 250, 500, and 1000 round packages. They can and do ship it; I'm not sure if it varies by state but I have had ammo shipped to Georgia.

rugerfan100

Single-Sixer
I have been shooting Federal American Eagle FMJ since my SR9 was new, probably about 1500 rounds through it now of the same ammo. Love the stuff for this gun. Cheap, accessible, and jacketed. Made in the USA. I have never had a problem with it yet....

gotime

Bearcat
I've had to take up reloading to be able to afford shooting the SR9 (and it's only 9mm). Closing in on 6000 rounds of different brands from Big 5, Wal Mart, and Gander Mountain without ONE hiccup. Ridiculous.

RWS has been my favorite thus far.

Strange

Bearcat
Impressive numbers gotime. How long have you had your SR9? Had mine a few months and closing in on 700rds. Love shooting this weapon!!! :p

gotime

Bearcat
I got mine back in February, but the number is a bit skewed since I put 2000 rounds in with a buddy one weekend, but I tend to go through 6 to 8 boxes a weekend. That'll taper off dramatically when the NFL season starts since I'll really only have Saturday night after work to shoot.

Rix86

Bearcat
I've shot just about everthing (except wolf) through mine.
no issues

flyers76

Bearcat
ITSANSS":18pq3zog said:
Thanks for all the input!

Was out of town yesterday and visited an Academy Sports & Outdoors store they had there (limited on stores where I live, Academy is one we don't have in town) and they had some 9mm ammunition. I'm bad with remembering brand names, but these particular rounds had steel jackets with a copper covering and with a wax coating on top of that. I'm certainly, certainly no expert on firearms or ammo., but that sounds like something with TOO many features for just a bullet. Doing some quick figuring, I decided that since I hadn't heard of all those features for a simple bullet, the fact that they were four dollars cheaper for 50 rounds than anything else I had seen, and that the shelf was fully stocked with them, but out of stock on a lot of other stuff, I decided to stay away. lol The casings were kind of a weird, dark green sort of color.

I really do appreciate all the responses. It sounds like the Ruger SR9 is quite the pistol. I got it as a birthday gift and have only shot 50 rounds through it for SDA class, but from all the reviews online and comments of a couple strangers in SDA class, and the way it handled while shooting, I think it's a gun that's going to last a long time. I'm going to get a booklet of some sort to keep track of what I've shot through it, when, where, and how many rounds. I also got a Hoppe's No. 9 gun cleaning kit as a gift with the gun and I used it on the pistol as soon as I got home with it. :)

Another ammo. question... As I was reading some reviews on different kinds of ammo., I saw some reviews about people that buy ammo. by the case or even by the pallet. Where is it one can purchase, say, a thousand rounds at one time? I don't imagine anything potentially explosive can be shipped via USPS or FedEx. lol
Also, my dad has a concern that ammo. ages. I can see a hundred year old round being not as good as a fresh one, but is there really a shelf life, I reckon it can be called, for ammo.? Are there better ways than others to store ammo.?

Thanks everybody and sorry for all the newb. questions!

You can keep ammo for years as long as it's kept cool and dry..so basically if you store inside at room temperature and humidity...I keep my spare ammo in a bedroom closet.
if you keep it outside in a shed or garage you probably ought to check into plastic or metal surplus army ammo boxes(you can pick these up at most gun shows for under $20) and dessicant or a small dehumidifier...
that green ammo with wax sounds like it was russian surplus, either Wolf or Brown Bear..stay away from that crap!
The all-time cheapest stuff I've found so far (that's reliable):
mail order is Sellier&Bellot, $10 for a box of 50...in-store, Walmart (at least those Walmart stores that are licensed to sell firearms and ammo -- not all do) carries RWS (I think it's a European manufacture, comes in an orange box) sells for $11 or $12 for 50.

RMXC51

Bearcat
I've got 700+ rounds of Blazer and American Eagle through mine, not one failure of any kind. I agree, this pistol doesn't seem to be picky about what its fed, and its getting better and better as it wears in.

ITSANSS

Bearcat
Thanks so much for all the replies!

Each comment makes me love this gun more and more, and I've only shot 50 rounds through it!!!

Have ya'll seen the Viridian laser sight for this gun? I think I'm in love with that, too. lol I'm really considering getting one.

I'm thinking I will buy a case of Winchester 115 grain 9mm rounds for shooting for practice and fun and a box of Winchester Super X 147 grain 9mm hollow point rounds for defense.

Thanks, guys!

Scott

Single-Sixer
just make sure you shoot more than a few of those hollow points through your SR9 before depending on them for self defense. Mine will eat through anything BUT the hollow points, and I didn't want to spend a fortune on SD rounds to find one it liked. As a result, I carry mine loaded with FMJ's, the same one's I know it's reliable at the range with.

Latest posts