RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:29 pm 
Bearcat

I don't know all the ins and outs of the blackhawks and super blackhawks, but wonder if the Lipsey's special 44 special is stout enough to handle the classic Elmer Keith heavy .44 special loads (which are still below 44 mag level). According to several sources, like http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt44spec.htm, a good heavy load was a 250g hardcast bullet at around 1200fps. I know that is hotter than the typical current factory loads, and a bit hotter than the standard 250 @ 1000 load most of us like, so I'd like to know if the Ruger can handle it. (Also, I don't need to be told that I can get a .44 mag for this, as I don't plan on ever shooting anything hotter than 250 at 1200 in a fairly light single action.) Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:45 pm 
Ruger Guru

Well, I have been testing my 44 Spl and I have found that the best, most accurate load is the old standby; 7.5 grns Unique UNDER the 250 grn Keith bullet. While it's not the barnburner, wrist bending load, It IS an accurate load. I prefer to hit what I'm aiming at too. And that load is a PROVEN game stopper,,, so I haven't tried to push the limits.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

Last edited by contender on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:01 am 
Buckeye

The Lipsey's 44 Spcl Blackhawk is built on the mid-sized 357 Magnum frame and uses a 357 Mag cylinder. I really don't know what pressures it is good for, but for a good read, check out this article over at Gunblast.com.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-44Flattop.htm

Ecclesiastes 10:2 - "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but the fool's heart to the left."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:36 am 
Hunter

It's not as heavy as the old Keith load, but 16.0 of 2400 under a 250 grain has been a favorite of mine for years. Right around 1,050 from a 4 5/8" barrel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:05 am 
Bearcat

Thanks for the link to the Gunblast article--it was a great read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:19 pm 

contender wrote:
Well, I have been testing my 44 Spl and I have found that the best, most accurate load is the old standby; 7.5 grns Unique over the 250 grn Keith bullet. While it's not the barnburner, wrist bending load, It IS an accurate load. I prefer to hit what I'm aiming at too. And that load is a PROVEN game stopper,,, so I haven't tried to push the limits.

Wow, you put the powder OVER the bullet? I never would have thought of doing it that way, but if it works for you... ;) :D

-- Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:23 pm 
Bearcat

Yosemite Sam wrote:
contender wrote:
Well, I have been testing my 44 Spl and I have found that the best, most accurate load is the old standby; 7.5 grns Unique over the 250 grn Keith bullet. While it's not the barnburner, wrist bending load, It IS an accurate load. I prefer to hit what I'm aiming at too. And that load is a PROVEN game stopper,,, so I haven't tried to push the limits.

Wow, you put the powder OVER the bullet? I never would have thought of doing it that way, but if it works for you... ;) :D

-- Sam

I think I did that on a progressive loader once...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:28 pm 
Bearcat

contender wrote:
Well, I have been testing my 44 Spl and I have found that the best, most accurate load is the old standby; 7.5 grns Unique over the 250 grn Keith bullet.

This will be the first load I try once I get my Lipsey Flattop .44special.

Sean,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:42 pm 
Bearcat

Given the leading I had loading some hardcast loads too light in my earlier reloading days, I think putting the powder over the bullet would have been an improvement!

Seriously though, Lee's load listed above and the Buffalo Bore load are pretty similar at around 250g@1050fps. That is plenty stout for most applications, though the old Keith load is a little hotter at 1200fps for the same bullet, though that was out of a 7.5" barrel. I'd bet the Keith load would probably clock at 1100fps or so out of a 2" shorter barrel, so I guess we are in the ballpark already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:01 pm 
Bearcat

kpp80202 wrote:
Seriously though, Lee's load listed above and the Buffalo Bore load are pretty similar at around 250g@1050fps. That is plenty stout for most applications, though the old Keith load is a little hotter at 1200fps for the same bullet, though that was out of a 7.5" barrel. I'd bet the Keith load would probably clock at 1100fps or so out of a 2" shorter barrel, so I guess we are in the ballpark already.

Actually; Brian Pearce, in Handloader #260, shows Lyman's 250gr Keith bullet over 17.0gr of 2400 achieving 1211fps out of the 5.5" Ruger Flattop and, I think, in the article he states that the loads he used went up to 25,000psi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:52 pm 
Bearcat

Now that's the ticket--thanks HardBall!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:26 pm 
Single-Sixer

19.0gr of H110 with a 240gr XTP is seriously accurate at 1182fps from a 5 1/2"er.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:10 am 
Buckeye

I had my best accuracy with a 250 and 15.5g of 2400. It was a little more accurate on paper than the 7.5 Unique

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:46 pm 
Ruger Guru

With a red face, I admit that my typing got backwards from what my brain was saying.
It's kinda funny when I re-read it.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA