Little reassembling problems (Ruger LCP)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kraut

Bearcat
When reassembling my Ruger LCP after field stripping, it is always difficult to slip the slide back into its final position in the guide rails of the chassis.

After an inch or so it seem that the slide gets caught I don't know where. I always feel a little resistance and it is not possible to move the slide further (at least I do not try to do this with brute force…).

Only by slightly lifting or carefully shaking the slide it fits and easily slides into its position.

Is this ok/normal????

The owner manual is completely silent in this regard.

(Apart from that slide operation is absolutely normal, and up to now I never had a jam while shooting.)

ColoRetiree

Bearcat
Kraut,
No, I don't believe it is normal. I just tried to disassemble and reassemble my wife's LCP and had no such problem. Maybe the slide is catching on the slide release?

ColoRetiree

Kraut

Bearcat
Meanwhile, after having put some shots more through my LCP, the cited reassembling problem does not occur that often.

Nonetheless, when it happens the slide stops more or less at a position where the rear end of the slide rail is directly in front of the slide release.
lcp-slide-stops.jpg

However, the slide does NOT contact the slide release. There is "plenty" of space between these two components. Therefore, ColoRetiree, it does not appear to be the slide release.

PS: Have not checked if slide and slide release contact each other in lateral direction! Should do this...

1)
I noted that the front edge of the left rail of the chassis shows wear and is metallic bright, whereas the front edge of the right rail is not.
(see arrow 1 in the enclosed image)
Moreover, the front edge is not completely flush with the adjacent plastic chassis . The front edge of the right rail is.

However, when I intend to put the slide onto the chassis, it does not feel as if the slide gets caught at this position.

2)
The feeling of my fingertips tells me that it stops at the position indicated by arrow 2 (see drawing).
However, no noticable wear in these areas, neither at the barrel unit nor in the corresponding groove inside the chassis.

3)
Just to mention it:
Assembling of the outer recoil spring is not foolproof.
At least in my LCP the respectives ends of the OUTER recoil spring have different (!) diameters.
If the LARGER diameter end of the outer recoil spring is mounted such that it contacts the head portion of the recoil spring guide rod, the slide sometimes also gets slightly caught when slipping it back into its final position .
ruger_lcp_exploded.jpg

Latest posts