Ruger Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Marine24

Bearcat
Came across a stainless Security Six with 2 1/2" barrel, adjustable sights, pachmyr grips that is supposedly an early model (serial number 157-827XX). Opening bid is $375.

I know of Security Six's but never owned or shot them but I'm in the market for a short barrel 357 mag revolver. I've been looking at the 3" GP100. I had a SP101 but sold it since it was a little too small.

How do the Security Six's stack up? Good piece of gear?

Intended use is as a carry piece.

5of7

Hunter
The Security Six is a fine revolver. It has a little smaller frame than the GP100 and a little bigger than the SP101.

375 sounds a little high to me though.

hittman

Staff member
The Six-Series double actions by Ruger are wildly popular and my personal favorites. 157-XXXXX is not an early production, it's in the middle to late.

S/N's started at 150-XXXXX. Earlier models have a low grip frame and they had already switched to smooth triggers in the 157-XXXXX range, I believe.

Fine revolvers you can't wear out. If it's in excellent shape, even with no box I'd say $375 is about right but; top of the market unless it's near perfect.

Marine24

Bearcat
Gents: Appreciate the response. Thought the price was a little high as well, but my Blue Book is a little dated.

Like the idea of the Security Six fitting in between the SP101 and GP100 when it comes to size.

bigtubby

Single-Sixer
The six series are a excellent revolver, I believe the barrel is 2 3/4" on the snub sixes. I prefer the speed six with combat sights and round butt but that is a personal thing.
I think the price is fair how often do you see them? I saw a 6" security six locally with a asking price of $500.00

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Hi,
Security Six is a great revolver. I think you can do better on the price. Most Security Sixes are running in the neighbor of $300 to $350 for a shooters grade.

Good luck
Howard

Hugh

Buckeye
Marine24 said:
Came across a stainless Security Six with 2 1/2" barrel, adjustable sights, pachmyr grips that is supposedly an early model (serial number 157-827XX). Opening bid is $375.

I know of Security Six's but never owned or shot them but I'm in the market for a short barrel 357 mag revolver. I've been looking at the 3" GP100. I had a SP101 but sold it since it was a little too small.

How do the Security Six's stack up? Good piece of gear?

Intended use is as a carry piece.

Great revolver. I bought my first 4" blue .357 Magnum Security Six in the winter of 1973. The 157-827XX appears to have been made in 1981; that's alright though. As long as it hasn't been abused it will probably outlast all of us.

All that said, if the weapon is in good shape I'd probably pay the $375 if the seller doesn't want to come down. The barrel length is probably 2.75" rather than 2.5". Put your tape on the face of the cylinder and out to the muzzle to confirm. If it is truly 2.5" I'd jump on it. I haven't heard of a 2.5" Security Six; but then I had never heard of a 3" Ruger Police Service Six until the one I am now the proud owner of showed up. Also I had never heard of a 5" Security Six until someone here on the forum showed us one; there were a small number made on special order.

Marine24

Bearcat
I'll take a look at the barrel if I decided to get it. It is on AuctionArms, so I'm relying on the accuracy of the listing but expect it is a standard barrel length of 2.75".

Based on the input here, sounds like a decent buy at the price. Shipping will push it to $395 but fortunately I don't have to pay a transfer fee.

Looking at the auction sites, prices are all over the map.

Zebraranger

Single-Sixer
It is a good price considering they are going for $400. to $450 in nice condition now in my area. Just 2 or 3 years ago they were around $300. I have a 4" SS Security six and really like it for its size and balance. A couple of months back I found a great deal on this unfired NIB 2-3/4" SS with all the paperwork and quickly snatched it up. I just installed the Tyler T grip a couple of weeks ago to fill the grip out in my hand a little better. A couple of photo's of both the 2-3/4" & 4".
009.jpg

020-1.jpg

019.jpg

050-1.jpg

Marine24

Bearcat
Everyone's advice and recommendation were spot on. Picked up the revolver not long ago and couldn't be more pleased.

Very good compromise between the SP101 and the GP100. I like the 2 3/4" barrel, compared to what I was seeing on the GP100.

SecuritySix2.jpg

SecuritySix.jpg

RICHGCOOP

Single-Sixer
Here is A picture of my S-SIX GP-34 Heavy Barrel
When this mod. came out the TEXAS RANGERS orded 500 of them just like this one.

SANY0055.jpg

RICHGCOOP

mohavesam

Hawkeye
In 1985 I bought a couple Security Six guns for $189 retail.

That same money adjusted for inflation is about $385 today.

I don't think the as-new 35 yr-old, example for exactly what it sold for new, is a bad deal.

As desirable as the Security Six series appear - Why do these revolvers NOT go up in value???

Yeah, I have a few.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=206832286

heres a used 2 3/4 stainless at $350+ with 9 days to go. the days of $200-$300 security sixes have been long gone. especially for a stainless snubby. I have one still NIB and I don't think $500 will give it a new home... I'd buy em all day long for $375 n under.

kstoneking

Single-Sixer
Marine24, our Security Sixes could be brothers, I'm partial to Pachmayr grips. :) I recently bought mine on GB as well ($280).

Kenny

Sec6002.jpg

Pale Horse

Bearcat
I love my Security Six. I now want a couple more and at least one Speed Six to go with it. I didn't get the box with mine but I did get the original manual.

Securitysix.jpg

Marine24

Bearcat
kstoneking said:
Marine24, our Security Sixes could be brothers, I'm partial to Pachmayr grips. :) I recently bought mine on GB as well ($280).

Kenny

Sec6002.jpg

Kenny,

No dout they could be brothers, although you got a much better deal than I did but I'm pleased just the same.

I'm surprised that Ruger dropped this model. SP101 is smaller and more concealable, but I don't find it comfortable to shoot 357 mag loads out of where I can easily shoot 100 rounds through the Security Six during a single session.

These revolvers have got to be some of the best kept secrets around.

Mike

hittman

Staff member
Marine24 said:
I'm surprised that Ruger dropped this model.

These revolvers have got to be some of the best kept secrets around.

Mike

Rumor has it Ruger dropped this for the GP100 in order to compete with S&W L-Frame 586/686 Series.

I'm thinking that smart investors are snapping up all the Security / Service / Speed Six models they can before the masses catch on to what a value they are. Someone gave me a new gun book / price guide for Christmas and that book has these series of Ruger double actions listed as "sleepers" predicting a future collector premium.

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
Here is a previously blue one that has been refinished in satin nickle and has had the grip frame reshaped to round butt.

pandasgrips007.jpg

Richard2003

Bearcat
Can you explain what a low grip frame is on the earlier models compared to the later models?
Thanks.

S/N's started at 150-XXXXX. Earlier models have a low grip frame and they had already switched to smooth triggers in the 157-XXXXX range, I believe.

Latest posts