RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:48 pm 
Single-Sixer

Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:43 pm
Posts: 266
Location: Glen Rose, TX
Are barrel mounting and receivers the same?
Specifically, if you have a charger takedown, could you buy a 10/22 takedown stock and barrel, could you turn it into a rifle without modification so you can also change it back.

And before anyone says it, according to the Supreme Court case involving Thompson center, it would be legal to have the parts as long as the stock and long barrel where kept together., and the owner didn’t use just the stock any any time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:39 pm 
Hunter

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 2:01 am
Posts: 3729
Location: Texas
Yes, the receivers and barrels are the same at the mounting point.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:48 am 
Hawkeye

Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:11 pm
Posts: 6981
Location: missouri
While it is legal, that doesn't mean that every LEO knows that little blurb in the law book. For use in the country or a private range, I see no issue. Having all the parts in a public place might well cause some unwanted attention. You can involve yourself in some monumental hassles just because of a misunderstanding and a phone call.
No diff to me-just sayin. I have some AR "pistol" uppers that are 100% legal to have in the same space as "rifle" lowers(just as the Charger/10-22 parts) BUT I make sure the pistol uppers are stored attached to a pistol configuration lower just in case "someone" would happen to notice.

_________________
Mobuck


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:34 am 
Blackhawk

Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:39 pm
Posts: 815
Location: Northwestern Wisconsin
Mobuck wrote:
While it is legal, that doesn't mean that every LEO knows that little blurb in the law book. For use in the country or a private range, I see no issue. Having all the parts in a public place might well cause some unwanted attention. You can involve yourself in some monumental hassles just because of a misunderstanding and a phone call.
No diff to me-just sayin. I have some AR "pistol" uppers that are 100% legal to have in the same space as "rifle" lowers(just as the Charger/10-22 parts) BUT I make sure the pistol uppers are stored attached to a pistol configuration lower just in case "someone" would happen to notice.


I absolutely agree with your answer. Some folks seem to imagine that there's an ATF agent hiding behind every bush in the United States, just waiting for a gun owner to stub his toe.
Maybe they don't realize, as you do, how easily those barrels can be switched from the Charger to the 10/22, and then back again. I've tried it, and it's sorta neat. No "black helicopters" were used in the making of that movie. :roll:

_________________
Visit http://www.saronagunworks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:40 am 
Hawkeye

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:01 am
Posts: 10612
Location: Rugerville, AZ
While I don't fear an ATFE agent behind every bush... I am a believer in bad days happening to good people.

Had a good friend busted for essentially a case of the police raiding the wrong address, his

So ANYONE can have a bad day. Having your gun parts in a circumstance wherein felonies are tempted,well it is a risk. I'm into risk mitigation!

_________________
Its a Right. A Civil Right. Not a permit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATF_gunwalking_scandal

PC = Political Submission


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 am 
Blackhawk

Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:39 pm
Posts: 815
Location: Northwestern Wisconsin
mohavesam wrote:
While I don't fear an ATFE agent behind every bush... I am a believer in bad days happening to good people.

Had a good friend busted for essentially a case of the police raiding the wrong address, his

So ANYONE can have a bad day. Having your gun parts in a circumstance wherein felonies are tempted,well it is a risk. I'm into risk mitigation!



Doesn't make a "lick of sense" that anyone would be busted for police raiding his house by mistake. They can't search without "reasonable cause", and most of all, they need a 'WARRANT' to search HIS premises, with HIS address on the warrant.

I haven't seen anybody here suggest that BATF-E rules should be regularly broken, abused, or then flagrantly displayed.

_________________
Visit http://www.saronagunworks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:42 pm 
Hawkeye

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:01 am
Posts: 10612
Location: Rugerville, AZ
SGW Gunsmith wrote:
mohavesam wrote:
While I don't fear an ATFE agent behind every bush... I am a believer in bad days happening to good people.

Had a good friend busted for essentially a case of the police raiding the wrong address, his

So ANYONE can have a bad day. Having your gun parts in a circumstance wherein felonies are tempted,well it is a risk. I'm into risk mitigation!



Doesn't make a "lick of sense" that anyone would be busted for police raiding his house by mistake. They can't search without "reasonable cause", and most of all, they need a 'WARRANT' to search HIS premises, with HIS address on the warrant.
...


No it didn't make sense. The warrant had his address on it. The dope dealer had a similar address on a different street. Real life sux.

_________________
Its a Right. A Civil Right. Not a permit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATF_gunwalking_scandal

PC = Political Submission


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:52 am 
Hawkeye

Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:11 pm
Posts: 6981
Location: missouri
I don't think ANY LEO would pass a chance to hang a citizen with a "suspected" ATF violation if they saw something that looked wrong(even if they were in the wrong house). The days of common sense law enforcement are long gone and the days of "cuff 'em and stuff'em and let the court sort it out" are firmly in place.
I've been questioned about my Form 1 suppressor by a local bunny cop(they have full LEO capabilities now). He had no idea I could legally DIY the can and was huffing and snorting himself into a tizzy until I showed him the copy of my tax stamp. Then he switched to the "illegal to hunt with" ploy which also failed when I suggested he call his supervisor before I did.

_________________
Mobuck


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group