10/22 magazine problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2upFZ1

Bearcat
I have two new 10/22's. A K10/22-T (target model), and a K10/22 (SS/Syn) and have tried Hot Lips 25rd, Steel Lips 25rd, and Ram-Line 50rd mags and NONE of them will work with ANY consistancy. They actually have destroyed as much ammo as they have fired. It'll fire one round, then hang the next one up trying to feed it into the chamber but they don't line up good and it stuffs the bullet into the side of the mouth of the chamber, stopping it and deforming the bullet. I have tried Aguila SuperMax, Several Winchesters, and Remingtons. Doesn't matter. The longest string I had without hickup is about 10rds (ONE time).

I know that there are junk magazines out there, but these companies wouldn't produce them if none of them never work. Can someone suggest a solution? I thought that with the rifles being brand new that there might be a problem there until broke in. But I thought I'd ask here first.

thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum!

Ask two different people what they think of any after-market magazine, and you'll get two opposite opinions. I've only got one Hot-Lips magazine, and it doesn't work. I've been around other folks using them, with the same less-than stellar performance.

There's a company, Tactical Innovations, that makes extended magazines for 10/22's, and the verdict is they work very well. They make both aluminum and plastic versions.

Now, as of a couple weeks ago, Ruger began marketing their own extended magazine for the 10/22. I've got two of them, and although I haven't had a chance to try them, they seem to be very well made.
GEDC0166-1.jpg

WAYNO.

I took mine to the range tonight. Shot 100-rounds without a hickup!

I'm pleased.

Tell ya one darn thing though...As relatively cheap it is to shoot .22 rimfires, it ain't nearly so cheap with these 25-round magazines. :wink:

WAYNO. 8)

You need to try both rifles with standard 10 round factory magazines to determine and make sure the problem is all in the aftermarket mags...

The absolutely best news is you've come into this problem at a great time in the Ruger firearms life.... since they just came out with factory 25 round mags.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the mag capacity laws in California apply to rimfires? If so, I'd get as many Ruger mags as possible before 'they repair this loop hole'.

ranger1

Buckeye
blume357 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the mag capacity laws in California apply to rimfires?

Ruger will not ship BX-25 mags to California residents or a few other U.S. states or cities. :cry:

http://shopruger.com/10_22-BX-25-MAGAZINE/productinfo/90361/

2upFZ1

Bearcat
blume357 said:
You need to try both rifles with standard 10 round factory magazines to determine and make sure the problem is all in the aftermarket mags...

The absolutely best news is you've come into this problem at a great time in the Ruger firearms life.... since they just came out with factory 25 round mags.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the mag capacity laws in California apply to rimfires? If so, I'd get as many Ruger mags as possible before 'they repair this loop hole'.

Both rifles work great with the stock 10rd mags. Good news is, the 4 Ruger mags I ordered are on their way. So if those work like the 10rd mags, I'll sell these and order a couple more.

chet15

Hawkeye
Everybody has to remember that loading 25 rounds of ammo in a non-Ruger 10/22 magazize works against gravity. Is one of the most prevalent reasons you get a hangup to the chamber. I'm not saying all are crap, but the more you use it, the more it will cause problems. The 50-rounders are even worse (twice the weight!!).
Sounds like Ruger's 25-rounders are working right.
Chet15

Turn Key

Bearcat
I have more than a dozen various steel Lip 25 rd. magazines. As the OP states they can be a bear to run right.

All of my problems were solved when I learned about Reel Magic on a RFC post. Reel Magic is the stuff you would use to spray on tangled fishing line to make it cast w/o tangling up. You can find it in sporting goods in the fishing section for $4 a can.

Clean your mags before and after each use and you'll be amazed at the feeding improvement. Reel magic is designed to work on polymers so put it to use and enjoy the Hi-Cap mags.

It was good to see Ruger has their own version now.

~TK

RiverCity.45

Bearcat
I took my new BX25 to the range today. I had several problems with feeding. The bold would sometimes not go all the way forward, and when I ejected the misfed round, the bullet nose was damaged. On one occasion I tried to get the round to feed by pulling back on the bolt and releasing...and I got a slam fire! Fortunately, I had the muzzle pointing down range.

It seemed to smooth out after several several mags, though. Hope it will stay that way.

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
before the ban i went and bought 10 hotlips and the loader and i have used them alot and i have had an occasional FTF but most of those issues were with the ammo. once i found what ammo the gun/mags liked we get lots of pretty much trouble free fun........btw got 2 ruger commin'.......they ain't cheap! i pd between $13-$18 for the butler creek back in the day.

Latest posts