s&w 1911 WHAT ARE THEY WORTH?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

johnnymo

Bearcat
iM THINKING OF BUYING MYSELF MY FIRST 1911. THERES A GUY IN TOWN HAS A LIKE NEW S&W 1911, STAINLESS WITH NOVAK SIGHTS, 2 MAGS AND CASE. IM NOT SURE WHAT THEY SELL FOR NEW IM THINKING AROUND 950? IS 775 TO MUCH OR A GOOD DEAL FOR THIS.
THANKS GUYS
JOHNNY

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
Welcome aboard!
Look at the selling prices for a similar model online (GB, etc) in the completed auction area to see what current "going rate" is. Then add or subtract for your area.

Also, here's a great "sticky", well worth a read.
Good luck!

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=129674

Philbee

Bearcat
S&W makes several different models of 1911's and all are priced different as well. Hard to know what to say without more information.

revhigh

Hawkeye
If you're going to spend close to $800 ... why not buy a brand new gun like the Springfield Range Officer ?

I'd bet it's a better gun than the S&W.

Or spend $600 or so and get the Ruger. You can probably get a better gun than the Smith for that money, depending on which model it is of course.

REV

kscott

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
If you're going to spend close to $800 ... why not buy a brand new gun like the Springfield Range Officer ?

I'd bet it's a better gun than the S&W.

Or spend $600 or so and get the Ruger. You can probably get a better gun than the Smith for that money, depending on which model it is of course.

REV

If I were spending that kind of money, I'd take the RO also, unless your set on the S&W for some reason. Then again, I don't know what they go for.

GKC

Blackhawk
I've owned a couple of S&W 1911s, and they are usually very good guns. It's hard to answer this question without knowing what model, and what condition it is in. The prices certainly vary regionally, so that is a factor as well. In my area, the new ones sell for around $950 +/- . I haven't seen any used ones, but they should sell for less, and condition is definitely a factor.

At the price you are considering, I'd add a $100 or so, and go for a new pistol. Either S&W or Springfield, or the Ruger SR1911 will be even less (if you can find one.)