new to 1911's and have a question about break-in

Help Support Ruger Forum:

7p's

Single-Sixer
mattsbox99 said:
I believe Ruger's factory spring is 18lbs, I have an ISMI 14 in mine with the target loads I shoot, it works well.

When I read your reply I thought, Naw, but then Ruger uses a titanium firing pin with a heavy firing pin spring so I went looking.

You are correct sir, I found some articles saying Ruger uses an 18.5# recoil spring – so shoot all the heavy commercial loads you want. The Buffalo Bore 255 grain HC at 900+fps won't bother an 18.5# spring but if you want to run 50 BB rounds at a session just move up to Wolff 20#s.

With that weight recoil spring it'll be a little tight for awhile and you'll get a FTE if you use ammo on the low velocity side or loosen your grip a little on occasion if you haven't lubed in awhile. If you run that 1911 wet it'll help a lot and WWB and a loose grip on occasion shouldn't be a problem.

Whoever designed the Redhawk must have been part of the SR1911 team.

revhigh

Hawkeye
mattsbox99 said:
I believe Ruger's factory spring is 18lbs, I have an ISMI 14 in mine with the target loads I shoot, it works well.

As well it should Matt.

Light target loads (like I shoot also) should be perfect for a 14# spring. :D

To be honest .... I shoot my target loads with the standard recoil springs in my GCs.

No issues in 20K rounds with the original springs.

REV

Tweety Bird

Single-Sixer
Good or bad, crazy or sane, I'll just say that all 3 of my 1911s run flawlessly with WWB 230 grain ammo. A Kimber Custom II, a Kimber Tactical Pro II and a RIA mid-size. WWB is all I shoot.

Like they say, YMMV.

Shoot it. Then shoot it some more.