1911s the price differences

Help Support Ruger Forum:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
1911s are interesting because they are all mostly built to take mil spec parts. Some manufacturers do a better job than others of course but that 2000 custom may shoot exactly like a cheap Phillipine model. Or not. I have a Remington R1 that I won't trade anyone beacause its smooth accurate an has good sights. Thats close enough to perfect for me.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
protoolman said:
I have a Remington R1 that I won't trade anyone beacause its smooth accurate an has good sights.

+1. I bought a Rem 1911R1 when they first came out as my entry level 1911. Shoots fine. I also *had* to have a Commander style 1911... so I bought a Ruger 1911 CMD. Shoots fine as well.

After that the upgraded 1911 bug bit me so I bought a Colt Gold Cup National Match. Does it shoot better than the Rem or Ruger? Yes it does (for me) but not by a whole lot.

To me it would seem that you have to ask the question about the purpose you have for owning a 1911 (or any pistola, for that matter) before arguing about which one is better. Keeps the argument on an apples-to-apples basis.
1. Self defense / minute-of-bad-guy accuracy at fairly close range? Reliability is the key here...just about any reasonable quality 1911 will do.
2. Target shooting at longer ranges? Here the expensive 1911s will shine with their better sights / triggers / etc.
3. Owning 1911s just because you like them. Guilty as charged. Here there isn't really any valid basis for argument because people like / dislike different things for non-performance related reasons. I do not like multi-tone finishes on guns for example.

Cordite

Yawn

Blackhawk
BuckJM53 said:
Pat-inCO said:
Is a Lexus that much better than a Volkswagen Beetle? :shock:

Pat ... it is indeed, as a Lincoln is generally better than a Ford and a Cadillac is generally better than a Chevy :lol:.

Unfortunately, the problem with this analogy is that while the average individual can easily see and feel the difference between a basic and luxury car, it is a great deal more difficult for most shooters to demonstrate "on paper" why a $4,000 Nighthawk (or similar) is truly worth $3,000 more than a Springfield (or similar). From a Ransom rest at 25 yards or in the hands of a skilled/professional marksman, the tight tolerances, custom fitting, match barrel and fine tuning of the high end 1911s can be realized. But keeping it real, most of the rest of us don't put in the practice time necessary to hone our skills to the level of getting the very best out of a high end pistol, no more than the vast majority of us would be successful in driving a Sprint Cup Car at 200+ mph :(

What an absolutely excellent post! Very well said.

I have never been able to really tell between a mid range firearm and a high end firearm... even with an AR. But, I almost always could tell the difference between a low end/starter model and a high-end one. That is actually true of most things I think. AR's (piston versus not), shotguns, and even handguns apply to this for me. I really liked the base model RIA that I shot, but shooting that and then immediately moving to a finely tuned high end Colt (not the biggest Kimber fan), you would be able to tell the difference. Maybe not a huge difference as Cordite just mentioned, but you would be able to tell a difference. Enough to justify the price difference, well, again... that might depend on purpose and budget.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Good post ..and true.

Of course as price increases ... Increases from an entry level gun like the Ruger to the next level become smaller and smaller. They have to. What irks me is people denying the increases exist, mostly because of 2 or 3 reasons .. 1 ...the poster can't appreciate the differences because they're not a good enough shooter ... 2 ... They deny the differences because they simply can't afford the better gun or 3 .... They're such a die hard ruger fanboy that they simply can't bear admitting there are better guns on the market.

Especially in the SA field. In the SA field .. Almost every competitor makes better guns. If you're talking about DA revolvers, SA revolvers, 22 autos, rifles or shotguns ... Ruger makes some of the best you can buy. Not as fine as Colt's or S&W's revolvers, but certainly as durable and reliable.

REV

revhigh said:
Good post ..and true.

Of course as price increases ... Increases from an entry level gun like the Ruger to the next level become smaller and smaller. They have to. What irks me is people denying the increases exist, mostly because of 2 or 3 reasons .. 1 ...the poster can't appreciate the differences because they're not a good enough shooter ... 2 ... They deny the differences because they simply can't afford the better gun or 3 .... They're such a die hard ruger fanboy that they simply can't bear admitting there are better guns on the market.

Especially in the SA field. In the SA field .. Almost every competitor makes better guns. If you're talking about DA revolvers, SA revolvers, 22 autos, rifles or shotguns ... Ruger makes some of the best you can buy. Not as fine as Colt's or S&W's revolvers, but certainly as durable and reliable.

REV

If members here are spending the $$$ to enjoy nice revolvers, as I do, then why criticize those spending the same $$$ to enjoy the same quality from semi-autos

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ah ... Gotcha ....

I think for very near the same money as what Ruger SA's cost .... people can buy a lot better gun ... At least for $50-100 more .... About the same as 5 or 6 boxes of shells. There's not a Ruger SA that's ever been built that would remotely compare to ANY CZ75.

REV

montegomx70

Single-Sixer
the problem with these cheap 1911's is that they are made in turkey, brazil or the philipines. I want my 1911 made in the U.S.

revhigh

Hawkeye
How is where they're made a problem ?

Where is your TV made. Where is your blender made. Where are your radios made. Where are any appliance in your house made. Where are your clothes made. Where are your shoes made. Where are your jackets made.

It's interesting that guns are the only item that you're concerned with being made outside of America.

REV

montegomx70

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
How is where they're made a problem ?

Where is your TV made. Where is your blender made. Where are your radios made. Where are any appliance in your house made. Where are your clothes made. Where are your shoes made. Where are your jackets made.

It's interesting that guns are the only item that you're concerned with being made outside of America.

REV

I do not care about TV's and can openers just 1911's and who said I only cared where my guns are made?

Mike J

Hunter
Rev, I honestly wish we had more manufacturing still in this country. I do have a few guns made elsewhere (Croatia-XD, Brazil I think-Taurus, Spanish Mauser-?). For good or bad I don't like the idea of buying anything produced by a muslim country though. I'm not saying I should feel that way & I know a lot of fuel comes from there but if I have a choice I would rather not send any money to them.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I tend to agree with the muslim thing, but as far as I know Brazil isn't muslim but I could be wrong.

Either way .... To pick ONE product and proclaim you want only American made, when the majority of the rest of the products a person owns are NOT American made just smacks of hypocracy when trying to make a point in a discussion forum. Especially when absolutely no reasoning is offered when challenged. Other than what amounts to a response of .... Because ...

REV

Mike J

Hunter
Interestingly enough I read posts on another forum here a while back. I think Springfield is using US made frames now. I can not verify for certain but some people were saying the frames don't have Imbel on them any more. Maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm or discredit this.

The muslim reference I was making was to the Turkish made guns.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Not sure either Mike about the Imbel frames.

Wouldn't matter to me though because Springfields are so good that I'd buy them either way.

REV

montegomx70

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
Quite hypocritical .... Only 1911's huh? Why ?

REV

Geez I'm sorry I mentioned it. hopefully everything will be made in china real soon. I simply prefer my 1911's made in the us, I want my Walthers made in Germany.

revhigh

Hawkeye
So ... Once again ... Your answer to my serious question is ... Because .... :roll:

REV